• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11.6.2022 at 4:25 PM, JSngry said:

MC03MTY0LmpwZWc.jpeg

The contrast between Art Farmer & Cedar Walton here is at times almost comical, although not in a lessening way. 

This is my only Art Farmer album under his own name. I bought it about the time it came out since Art Farmer lived in Vienna if he was not touring and played a lot there. I got it signed by him with a dedication. 

On 11.6.2022 at 11:15 PM, jazzcorner said:

43787479je.jpg

About the same time in the 70´s some of the Supersax were bought by Bird fans and first we said "wow" , but while you can go back to Bird at any time and find inspiration, you won´t spin Supersax to much after that first "wow". And last but not least the rhythm section is too mainstream like, It almost sounds like it could be a machine, no live rhythm section. Most kids over here had the two MPS albums I think with Blue Mitchell and Frank Rosolino added. "SaltPeanuts" and "Koko" were more expensive and not found everywhere. 

6 hours ago, felser said:

from the big box set:

In Europe | Miles Davis Official Site

Actually my second Miles LP then (after "Steamin´".....my third was "Agharta"). But it had another cover and was very cheap. But I loved it most. Soon I founded it much more interesting than "Steamin". Especially that fast "Walkin´" fascinated me, with Tony Williams drum solo.....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

This is my only Art Farmer album under his own name. I bought it about the time it came out since Art Farmer lived in Vienna if he was not touring and played a lot there. I got it signed by him with a dedication. 

About the same time in the 70´s some of the Supersax were bought by Bird fans and first we said "wow" , but while you can go back to Bird at any time and find inspiration, you won´t spin Supersax to much after that first "wow". And last but not least the rhythm section is too mainstream like, It almost sounds like it could be a machine, no live rhythm section. Most kids over here had the two MPS albums I think with Blue Mitchell and Frank Rosolino added. "SaltPeanuts" and "Koko" were more expensive and not found everywhere. 

Actually my second Miles LP then (after "Steamin´".....my third was "Agharta"). But it had another cover and was very cheap. But I loved it most. Soon I founded it much more interesting than "Steamin". Especially that fast "Walkin´" fascinated me, with Tony Williams drum solo.....

I bought that ‘Salt Peanuts’ album by Supersax when it came out but haven’t played it for years. UK pressing by Capitol, I think.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I bought that ‘Salt Peanuts’ album by Supersax when it came out but haven’t played it for years. UK pressing by Capitol, I think.

maybe some day I will save it on usb stick for the car, for a longer drive you can listen to such stuff. For really listening I prefer more demanding stuff.....

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Picked up my LP copy as an Inner City deletion around 1980, from Mole Jazz I think. That and the one with the lady’s sun hat on the cover are both great.

54 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

maybe some day I will save it on usb stick for the car, for a longer drive you can listen to such stuff. For really listening I prefer more demanding stuff.....

Bought ‘Salt Peanuts’ I think as I was on a Parker/bop kick at the time. Many years later I saw Med Flory, Conte Candoli, Lou Levy and Jack Nimitz in person, which recalled hearing them on this session.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Picked up my LP copy as an Inner City deletion around 1980, from Mole Jazz I think. That and the one with the lady’s sun hat on the cover are both great.

Bought ‘Salt Peanuts’ I think as I was on a Parker/bop kick at the time. Many years later I saw Med Flory, Conte Candoli, Lou Levy and Jack Nimitz in person, which recalled hearing them on this session.

Yeah and I was in the middle of that Parker/bop kick. I discovered Parker from reading the liner notes of "Steamin" and from the title "Parkeriana" of Mingus, my only LPs then. And I noticed that saxophonists were crazy about Charlie Parker and if you listened to Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy AND Charlie Parker, you were hip. Later I got acquainted to Jackie McLean too, and those four alto players are the sound I have in my ears. But I also heard Arthur Blythe and Donald Harrison do great things....., what I don´t like are more syrop sounds on alto, I think the alto must be "sugar free" for my tastes .....

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Picked up my LP copy as an Inner City deletion around 1980, from Mole Jazz I think. That and the one with the lady’s sun hat on the cover are both great ....

I believe the one with the "spilled coffee on the cover" make it three great albums in a row :D .... btw all three recorded at the same session if I remember correctly .... 

34 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I believe the one with the "spilled coffee on the cover" make it three great albums in a row :D .... btw all three recorded at the same session if I remember correctly .... 

Yes, I have that too on a Japanese pressing. ‘Yesterday’s Thoughts’ or something like that?  I prefer the other two though - need to dig them all out. The ‘green lady’s straw hat’ one is particularly nice :D, really captures the Walton trio well.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

JOHNNY_DODDS_JOHNNY%2BDODDS%2B%26%2BKID%

Somewhere I have a truly ancient Philips vinyl LP of that one. Sonically, one level up from Edison cylinder :D.

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Re SUPERSAX

Correct what you say about the first Impression.  But I still like the group and have most of their material.

Also have enough of the original Bird & Diz

Here is my  SS  list

Supersax    Supersax plays Bird    1973    Capitol
     Supersax    plays Bird Vol 2 Salt Peanuts""    1974    Capitol
     Supersax    Supersax plays Bird with Strings    1975    Capitol
CD    Supersax    The Japanese Tour Vol I    1975    Hindsight
CD    Supersax    The Japanese Tour Vol II    1975    Hindsight
     Supersax    Dynamite!!    1977    MPS
CD    Supersax    Supersax chasing the bird / Dynamite    1977-79    MPS
     Supersax    & LA Voices-Vol 2    1984    Columbia
     Supersax    & LA Voices-Vol. 3 [rec at Capitol Studio A]    1986    Columbia
     Supersax    Stonebird    1988    Columbia /Sony
CD    Supersax & LA Voices    The complete edition    1983-86    CBS(2)

Edited by jazzcorner

27 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Correct what you say about the first Impression.  But I still like the group and have most of their material.

Also have enough of the original Bird & Diz

Here is my  SS  list

Supersax    Supersax plays Bird    1973    Capitol
     Supersax    plays Bird Vol 2 Salt Peanuts""    1974    Capitol
     Supersax    Supersax plays Bird with Strings    1975    Capitol
CD    Supersax    The Japanese Tour Vol I    1975    Hindsight
CD    Supersax    The Japanese Tour Vol II    1975    Hindsight
     Supersax    Dynamite!!    1977    MPS
CD    Supersax    Supersax chasing the bird / Dynamite    1977-79    MPS
     Supersax    & LA Voices-Vol 2    1984    Columbia
     Supersax    & LA Voices-Vol. 3 [rec at Capitol Studio A]    1986    Columbia
     Supersax    Stonebird    1988    Columbia /Sony
CD    Supersax & LA Voices    The complete edition    1983-86    CBS(2)

Multiple :tups.

On 6/12/2022 at 9:57 PM, Bill Nelson said:

'Lovesick' is my favorite mid-60's jazz LP of Jackie & Roy.  It was their last album for Verve.  Afterwards, their manager convinced them to chase radio hits with the wretched rock-oriented 'Grass', a one-shot on Capitol.  A four-year recording hiatus followed.

Bill,

I agree with you re: Lovesick.  I think it's one of their finest.

Gotta say though: I sorta like Grass.  I think J&R were just trying to move into more contemporary territory -- and it works for me.  OTOH, I think Changes, the album that preceded Lovesick is MUCH less musically interesting than Grass.  I would point to Changes as their least successful "crossover" attempt.  

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, I have that too on a Japanese pressing. ‘Yesterday’s Thoughts’ or something like that?  I prefer the other two though - need to dig them all out. The ‘green lady’s straw hat’ one is particularly nice :D, really captures the Walton trio well.

Yep .... and "The Summer Knows" about the green lady's straw hat 😇 ....

Edited by soulpope

5 hours ago, BillF said:

Re: Supersax

Multiple :tups.

Thanks a lot

;-}}

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Most things are "demanding" when they are new. Times and tastes change with growing age. Thats quite normal.

Sometimes I like more to look back than go ahead. Jazz is an ever changing artform.