• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

James Clay & David 'Fathead' Newman - The Sound Of The Wide Open Spaces!!!! (Riverside/OJC). Great rhythm section, Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones & Art Taylor. that rarely recorded together. I think their only other recording is Byrd's "Off To The Races".

Primary

Is that Clay who keeps having reed problems? You would've thought after the first one or two, he would've gotten that straightened out. :)

15 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Jackie McLean with The Great Jazz Trio (Hank Jones, Ron Carter, Tony Williams) - New Wine In Old Bottles

51NaZxd7jDL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I must have that, Jackie McLean is one of my all time favourites as a musician, and I´m an addict of his sound and phrasing.....

Ron Carter and Tony Williams dream team, Hank Jones is a wonderful sounding pianist and plays beautiful, though I don´t have albums under his name. 

I have read more about those records of topnotch hornplayers with Carter-Williams done in Japan I think. Wasn´t there also one of Sadao Watanabe with that trio ? 

Who are the others who played with that rhythm sections. I think I missed that and it went OOP very early. Wasn´t it on Galaxy Label ? 

098767.jpg

"Meet Betty Carter and Ray Bryant" Legacy cd

At first I was only going to listen to the mighty Betty's part of this (which includes all the material on the excellent LP I have "Social Call") but darned if the Ray Bryant trio portion isn't sounding excellent today.

Edited by jazzbo

Finished something I've been dabbling with for a few weeks, a short address I am going to make at my father's funeral Saturday. Feels so good that it's done, and I'm happy with it.

When I closed the document for some reasons, well perhaps knowing my Dad an obvious reason, I thought of the Coltrane composition "Spiritual" so I put on a disc from the Village Vanguards box.

John Coltrane "The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings"
13fbdeaf7f85eb60f274ade12acb701279be1166
Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:
Finished something I've been dabbling with for a few weeks, a short address I am going to make at my father's funeral Saturday. Feels so good that it's done, and I'm happy with it.

When I closed the document for some reasons, well perhaps knowing my Dad an obvious reason, I thought of the Coltrane composition "Spiritual" so I put on a disc from the Village Vanguards box.

John Coltrane "The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings"
13fbdeaf7f85eb60f274ade12acb701279be1166

Pleased to hear that you've got to the point where you feel the address is ready. I wish you well in its delivery at the weekend.