• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now playing:

doug-webb-message-20220409140025.jpg

26 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Agreed, although his hat should be one size bigger, me thniks ......

NTMtOTgxNS5qcGVn.jpeg

Looks like Ben and Joe, who shared accommodation, also shared the same hat rack.

Edited by BillF

NDgtMzA1OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Clifford Jordan - Magic in Munich (SteepleChase, 2 CDs, rec. 1975)
Disc 2 - originally released as The Highest Mountain -- with "the Magic Triangle": Cedar Walton, Sam Jones, and Billy Higgins

Unlike Ben's tiny trilby, Jordan's hat is big and floppy.  Wide lapels, crazy prints, and BIG hats.  It was the Seventies, man!  ;) 

30 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NDgtMzA1OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Clifford Jordan - Magic in Munich (SteepleChase, 2 CDs, rec. 1975)
Disc 2 - originally released as The Highest Mountain -- with "the Magic Triangle": Cedar Walton, Sam Jones, and Billy Higgins

Unlike Ben's tiny trilby, Jordan's hat is big and floppy.  Wide lapels, crazy prints, and BIG hats.  It was the Seventies, man!  ;) 

Priceless music ....

1 minute ago, Rabshakeh said:

I don't know either of them. Is either one a favourite?

Yep, both of them are excellent. 

The Manhattan Project is shockingly good.  I'm very surprised that it has such a low profile because Wayne's playing (in particular) is amazing.  (Folks who turn up their noses at keyboards won't like it -- but that doesn't bother me one bit.  In fact, I think they add some interesting color.)

I'm less surprised that the Herwig disc isn't on most folks' radar.  It was released on a Japan-only label and is now fairly difficult to find.  But it's worth the search.  I'm a Richie Beirach freak, so his presence caught my eye -- but the whole band burns.  Outstanding playing and compositions.

I would have included both of these albums in my 80s survey -- if I had heard them before finalizing my selections in November of last year.  You'll see both on my "bonus list" at the end of the year when the jazzblog project ends -- 50 more albums that I would've included if I were re-compiling it today.

44 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

51alvLpG21L._AC_.jpg

Wayne Shorter, Michel Petrucciani, Stanley Clarke, et al - The Manhattan Project (Blue Note, 1990)

Even with Michel Petruccaini, this qualifies as a gem, and most certainly an overlooked one at that!

Gil Goldstein uses the "keyboards" to create Gil Evans-ish "electric" colors, and wayne just jumps right in (as was his wont when he so wanted).