• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now playing Bob Kaufman - Dreaming Out Loud (Whaling City Sound). Berklee professor Kaufman on drums. Berklee professor Bruce Gertz on bass. Local tenor master Jerry Bergonzi on tenor. This is a very good trio date that would likely slide by most people as the leader and bassist are less know outside the Boston area. Funny thing is, even though I have seen Kaufman & Gertz on the bandstand many times, I still bought this because Bergonzi was in the tenor chair. :)

Bob Kaufman / drums & Kaufman/Gertz/Bergonzi - In It (ft. Bruce Gertz /  bass ,Jerry Bergonzi / tenor saxophone ) | Play on Anghami

Charlie Parker Big Band – Charlie Parker Big Band (Clef, 1954)

R-3627345-1340100355-9793.jpg

Duke Ellington And His Orchestra – Ellington Indigos (Columbia, 1958)

R-728154-1612026816-4351.jpg

Listening to this one because of a mention on the recent thread about the first jazz albums people bought.

It gets a bad rap for some reason, and I'd never listened to it as a result. But I really like it. I accept that none of these is the best version of these tunes, but it has a unified feel, great sound, and a nice simple one-soloist-per-song concept. I can see why it was a hit: If I was a stern 1950s father, I would have bought it too.

Johnny Hodges is great on it. 

5 hours ago, BillF said:

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Love this one. Something about the treatment really brings out the familial link between scotch/Irish folk and the blues, really strongly.

Edited by Rabshakeh

7 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Duke Ellington And His Orchestra – Ellington Indigos (Columbia, 1958)

R-728154-1612026816-4351.jpg

Listening to this one because of a mention on the recent thread about the first jazz albums people bought.

It gets a bad rap for some reason...

Who gives this a bad rap? I've always loved that record and it was also a hit!

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Who gives this a bad rap? I've always loved that record and it was also a hit!

The universally trusted Allmusic is one (never great, but normally good for Ellington at least). A few other places.

It seems really good to me. It might even be the Ellington I'd recommend to a casual beginner.

I guess those people read the liner notes instead of listening to the record.

Oh wait, yeah, the first CD issue of it was jacked up, not at all the original record except in partial part. THAT version should be panned, just because. But the OG record itself, I will go to the mat for THAT one.