• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Thelonious Monk - Thelonious Alone In San Francisco | Releases | Discogs

I love it and as much as I love Monks quartet and quintet performances , sometimes I like to listen to a bit of solo Monk also. I don´t want to BE a Monk copycat but somehow it happens, if I play a solo piece it might have some of Monk´s style, I mean the voicings. There is such a musical logical thing in it that you just fell you can´t do otherwise. 
My wife sometimes makes a little joke and want´s I do some personal "mini concerto" for her at home and she starts calling things I never had played or that are not my music. 
So once she said "do some classical stuff". I said "what ? I don´t know any classical music" but she insisted and somehow I had a little Chopin waltz in Ab in my head that I once heard and liked. And there I went, it sounded like if Monk plays Chopin. But since my wife also is no classic music conoisseur (she is primary a dancer) she dug it and said "you should get a tuxedo and play in such a concert hall only you" and didn´t understand that this is not my stuff.

Then she asked me to play a Hildegard Knef waltz, and I did, since I like it, and again it sounded like Monk playing Knef 😄

1 minute ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

Jeanne Lee was singing with the Gunther Hampel Galaxy of Dreams band, I think she went to Europe with him. Another great musician who came to Europe with Gunther, is Allan Praskin (alto sax), whom I admire very much and love everything he does and I have played with him and have gigs with him fixed for next year...... 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Jeanne Lee was singing with the Gunther Hampel Galaxy of Dreams band, I think she went to Europe with him. Another great musician who came to Europe with Gunther, is Allan Praskin (alto sax), whom I admire very much and love everything he does and I have played with him and have gigs with him fixed for next year...... 

Jeanne lived with Gunter in Göttingen. Daughter Cavana was born here. Allan was at home here too...

Praskin-2.jpg

46 minutes ago, optatio said:

Jeanne lived with Gunter in Göttingen. Daughter Cavana was born here. Allan was at home here too...

Praskin-2.jpg

Yeah that is true. And with Wolfgang he did a nice little record "Just Friends-Just Jazz" recorded live. The drummer was Ernst Bier, don´t remember the trumpetist and the bassist. 
Shortly after that (1978), I was barely 19 I had the luck to get the possibility to play with Allan. He is such a wonderful musician and a great composer !