Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Edmond Hall – Profoundly Blue (1998, CD) - Discogs

Following a discussion about it yesterday. And it's true that the celeste kills out the guitar. You hardly hear Charlie Christian. Except on Profoundly Blue no. 2, which I don't know if it's an alternate or what. And then the wonderful final Celestial Express. Which is like proto RnR. It's true what my jazz guitar teacher once said to me: When you hear Charlie Christian it's like the beginning of rock and roll.

15 hours ago, optatio said:

👍 - on my shelf!

Same here. Although I also have a Japanese mini LP release of his only album, which is also here. But I like Twardzik a lot.

19 hours ago, BillF said:

I have this too, I was quite astonished, that Mintons still existed in the 60´s. I had some Charlie Christian 1941 Mintons, but I think nothing else from that joint between early fourties and early sixties. Grant Green and Horace Parlan are especially great here. 

12 minutes ago, BillF said:

ab67616d0000b27315729565aa42565c4644fe48

Is this the album Philly J.J did in UK ? With a lot of great british player ? 
I have that album, but it seems to have another cover, maybe the older Black Lion covers, with white cover and just a little photo in the middle. From that series, besides the Philly J.J. album I think I have a Dexter Gordon at Montmatre, a Bud Powell "The Invisible Gage", and a Don Byas "Anthropology". They look like they were printed in the late 60´s or early 70´s. 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is this the album Philly J.J did in UK ? With a lot of great British players ? 

Yes. Altoist Peter King, who played on the session, says of it in his autobiography Flying High:

"Listening to it again after nearly forty years, it doesn't sound too bad at all, but I notice that nearly every tune is a little too fast .... But then again, Philly and I were pretty 'speedy' ourselves at the time, which explains it, if you get my drift."😀

13 hours ago, soulpope said:

R-11263511-1512987083-9521.jpg

Sounds like a great personnel. When was it made ? I heard that Hubbard once made an album for Timeless at Bolleman´s studio in Monster, Netherlands. 

"Temptation" sound like a tune that would be worth tryin´ out. The only version I heard is on a not so interesting Charlie Parker Big Band record for Verve. There it sounds like one of those bombastic studio bands with brass and string, like for a kind of early 50´s LA movie....., not really a jazz context. And Bird quotes it in his solo on Anthropology on some 50´s live at Birdland broadcast. 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Sounds like a great personnel. When was it made ? I heard that Hubbard once made an album for Timeless at Bolleman´s studio in Monster, Netherlands. 

"Temptation" sound like a tune that would be worth tryin´ out. The only version I heard is on a not so interesting Charlie Parker Big Band record for Verve. There it sounds like one of those bombastic studio bands with brass and string, like for a kind of early 50´s LA movie....., not really a jazz context. And Bird quotes it in his solo on Anthropology on some 50´s live at Birdland broadcast. 

https://www.discogs.com/de/release/11263511-Kirk-Lightsey-Trio-Featuring-Freddie-Hubbard-Temptation

Recorded May 5, 6. and June 13 1987 at Studio 44, Monster, Holland