• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, optatio said:

Morgan-F-3.jpg

What a dream team. And when I think that Frank Morgan who has top billing here was completlly unknown to me during a time, when Joe Henderson, Bobby Hutcherson, Mulgrew Miller, Ron Carter and Al Foster were some of my top favourites whom I had seen live in various surroundings. 
I´ll have to ask Allan more about Frank Morgan.....

Urs Leimgruber, Joëlle Léandre, Fritz Hauser – No Try No Fail (Hat, 1997)

R-369301-1502407433-3145.jpg.aad79eda5b13b9693f921fac1e4a6464.jpg

An absolute personal fav from my younger days (it coincided with my first interest in jazz and improv). I spent a lot of time listening to it in Summer 2020, and it was a kind of soundtrack for when my daughter was first born (headphones only, with all respect to my wife). Always good to return to it.

I’m back to serious listening after a hiatus as my wife was off from Thursday last week til today.

Started off with “Thelonious Monk Big Band and Quartet in Concert” from a gold disc sold by High Density Tape Transfers, a “gray market” firm that transfers in high density from tapes that are out of copyright, mostly classical and some jazz. Though they will sell numerous download in differing formats from DSD 256 down I don’t do files. . . they also offer Redbook options. Interestingly though this has the same material as the LP I am not sure what tape they use as the drum solos are intact that were edited out of the original release. Never-the-less I must say that the sound is excellent, better than the Columbia (expanded) 2 cd set. I also have Duke Ellington’s “Indigos” from them that sounds quite good, if not quite as transformed as this one.

I followed that up with the newly released XRCD24 disc from Audio Wave of the Stanley Turrentine Blue Note “Look Out!”

cf5fcbf36361d72f53f248e8491d8c7f97e8e82f

Now onto a disc I haven’t played in a long time, Clark Terry “Duke with a Difference” Riverside/OJC cd.

Like an addict who needed a fix, I feel pretty good listening at length this morning; the system sounds fantastic!

Paul Gonsalves “Ellington Moods and Blues” RCA Victor cd

3f3faab1ab763a3a2d5d800488929f5da47cb1fa

I had to play another Ellington related disc. . .Duke gets under my skin. And I love Gonsalves’ playing!

Paul Gonsalves - Tenor Saxophone
Johnny Hodges - Alto Saxophone
Booty Wood - Trombone
Ray Nance - Trumpet
Jimmy Jones - Piano
Al Hall - Bass
Oliver Jackson - drums

Recorded February 29, 1960