• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NS0yMzkyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Freddie Redd - Straight Ahead! (Interplay, 1977)
with Henry Franklin (b) and Carl Burnett (d)

I have heard only his 2 records for BN (and a rather sloppily played third one that was originally rejected). 

I love his unconventional style of piano playing. He didn´t seem to have much speed, but has a very original percussive and "two fisted"  piano style, but above all I noticed his compositions which all are rare beauties. They have beautiful melodies and many of them were based on former bop standards with descending chords like Dizzy´s  "Woody´n You" ( Gm7b5  C7 Fm7b5  Bb7....) or Bud´s "Oblivion" (Am7b5 D7 Gm7b5 C7...). Monk pretended that those chord changes were introduced by himself and that Dizzy learned it from him, or even Diz said that he had learned it from Monk.....  . I don´t know classical music but once I heard some Rahmaninov and he used those chords ). 

I don´t have records of Redd from later years, but always wondered how he managed to survive, since his discography is quite scarce and even Jackie McLean stated that Freddie Redd is like some wonderful ghost that appears sometimes....., so I don´t know, did he teach to earn a living, or what else.....

Edited by Gheorghe

18 hours ago, BillF said:

MzgtNTIwNy5qcGVn.jpeg

I had purchased this very early when about my first durable impression of so called "jazz" was the original Miles Davis Quintet. I didn´t know other musicians than Miles, Trane, Garland, Chambers and Phillly J.J. then, so all those five men were my "heroes" and I tried to find also records by the so called "sidemen". So my earliest discography had John Coltranes "Soultrane", Red Garlands "Rediscovered Masters", Paul Chambers´ "Whims of Chambers" and Philly J.J. "Blues for Dracula"........

And I discovered that it was almost "like a family": On "Soultrane" you also have Paul and Red, on "Rediscovered Masters you also have Paul, on "Whims" you have also Philly J.J, and so on....., (Dracula had Johnny Griffin) who was the first jazz musician I heard "live"......so it was "closing circles everywhere ...... 

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I love his unconventional style of piano playing. He didn´t seem to have much speed, but has a very original percussive and "two fisted"  piano style, but above all I noticed his compositions which all are rare beauties.  

Yes, I can hear that.  At times, Redd's playing reminds me (a little) of Randy Weston's style.  Both men love those low, low bass notes.

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I don´t have records of Redd from later years, but always wondered how he managed to survive, since his discography is quite scarce and even Jackie McLean stated that Freddie Redd is like some wonderful ghost that appears sometimes....., so I don´t know, did he teach to earn a living, or what else.....

I don't know what Redd did either.  I have a few of his records from more recent years, including a 2015 SteepleChase release, Music for You.  I've enjoyed what I've heard from Redd -- but, you're right -- his discography is relatively small, especially given the duration of his career.

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

One of these days, I need to acquire Shirley Horn's Steeplechase recordings. I don't have any of them.

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

All solid gold ....

Agreed! . . .  But my recommendation would be to BEGIN with A Lazy Afternoon.  :g