• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

The best beginner's guide I have so far located has been this one:

https://syncopatedtimes.com/texas-shout-8-guide-to-classic-dixieland/

From the 1990s and from a bandleader who is obviously quite embedded in and committed to the San Francisco revivalist circuit.

Not much there that a dedicated searcher would not know, but I have not found anything that goes into more depth than this out there. A complete contrast to 'spiritual jazz' or Blue Note or whatever, where there are thousands of lists and dedicated blogs.

agree, that list is pretty good, but a bit heavy on bay area stuff... and, indeed, the list includes some things that also helped me get into the topic, like the Wilbur de Paris band (at Symphony Hall) or Kid Thomas (esp. the one with Emile Barnes on Riverside, and some of those with his own band with Manny Paul on tenor, like "At Kohlman's Tavern")... and last week, I finally got to the Condon Commodores (this compilation) and they are obviously amazing, first class jazz. As a newbie, I must say that I still have a preference for stuff with a single horn - even though that will possibly wash out with more experience ;) anyway, one album that I've played a lot via spotify is this one Art Hodes (p) with Truck Parham (b) and Volly de Faut (cl).

I have mostly avoided both George Lewis and the bay area stuff so far... even though I really like this session which combines the two... (Dan Morgenstern writes in the comments it's some of the best George Lewis he's heard). Singer Barbara Dane is a fascinating figure who I have followed a bit... That an album called "I hate the capitalist system" would (indirectly) come out of a dixieland scene was really at odds with preconceptions I had (and I guess the 1950s bay area scene was also quite different from the 1990s European scene I dimly remember from my childhood - as it would be for most genre's of music)

Btw, I have also learned a lot from jeffcrom's blog and his posts here

5 hours ago, Niko said:

agree, that list is pretty good, but a bit heavy on bay area stuff... and, indeed, the list includes some things that also helped me get into the topic, like the Wilbur de Paris band (at Symphony Hall) or Kid Thomas (esp. the one with Emile Barnes on Riverside, and some of those with his own band with Manny Paul on tenor, like "At Kohlman's Tavern")... and last week, I finally got to the Condon Commodores (this compilation) and they are obviously amazing, first class jazz. As a newbie, I must say that I still have a preference for stuff with a single horn - even though that will possibly wash out with more experience ;) anyway, one album that I've played a lot via spotify is this one Art Hodes (p) with Truck Parham (b) and Volly de Faut (cl).

I have mostly avoided both George Lewis and the bay area stuff so far... even though I really like this session which combines the two... (Dan Morgenstern writes in the comments it's some of the best George Lewis he's heard). Singer Barbara Dane is a fascinating figure who I have followed a bit... That an album called "I hate the capitalist system" would (indirectly) come out of a dixieland scene was really at odds with preconceptions I had (and I guess the 1950s bay area scene was also quite different from the 1990s European scene I dimly remember from my childhood - as it would be for most genre's of music)

Btw, I have also learned a lot from jeffcrom's blog and his posts here

Thanks. I think that you are a lot further advanced on this music than I am. 

I am with you in that the music that I have probably enjoyed the most has been the Condon crowd stuff. It has more space (which is probably what I am used to) and seems to have better playing than a lot of the SF stuff. The George Lewis stuff seems to vary: some stuff of the repertoire is quite repetitive and hackneyed but there are times that it gets really strong.

What is jeffcrom's blog? I have tried looking for it.

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thank you

this is one of the great posts, it takes some music that you should be familiar with but aren't (Jelly Roll Morton), adds some historical background on a particular aspect, then points out a manageable amount of music and finally gives you some hints on stuff to listen for in the music you would otherwise never thought of... this is one of the really helpful .org posts...

don't think I'm much deeper into the topic yet... more or less to the day two years ago, I walked into one of the great record stores, and ended up buying most of that New Orleans Living Legend Series on original Riverside vinyl for little money... and since then it's been getting worse

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Bechet Mezzrow Quintet – Gone Away Blues

a 45, bought mostly for the cover...

MC0zODQyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Lionel Hampton - Master of the Vibes

bought for the cover + Oscar Dennard... worth it for the cover...