Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Remember buying this as a youngster and getting spooked out by ‘Rated X’ big time ! 🤣

Of course, then I bought each new Miles Davis album. I think I was a bit disappointed by "Big Fun" which was just a collection of stuff, that was remainders from earlier sessions, like part of "Get Up with It". But I like the long "He Loved Him Madly" , it was the band with Dave Liebman that I saw, as well as "Calypso Frelimo" which was part of the tour programm. Other stuff from that double album was much older. One tune I think was called "Red China Blues". It never was played live and is just an old fashioned blues in G if I remember right. Isn´t "Rated X" that thing with organ only, very minimalistic, but dense chords the way Miles played chords on organ......, and wasn´t there a tune called "Billy Preston" , which seemed quite old, like the stuff that had been on the 1972 recordings ? I didn´t really know who Billy Preston is, I had thought there was a more obscure trumpet player who is on Mingus´ recordings from 1970, who has this or a similar name....

Is it possible that this was Miles´  last studio album until 1981 ? His other records of that time all was live recordings like "Agharta" and "Pangheea " . My favourite is "Dark Magus". 

16 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I have that Stateside LP with the Geller/Dorham session.

It was also reissued by Vogue as ‘West Coast Scene Vol 3’ but only half the LP was included and I don’t think Vol 4 ever came out !

Ni02OTc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Yes thanks for the Info. Have also West Coast Vol. 3 myself

19 hours ago, scooter_phx said:

Primary

😁👍

Yes a superbe CD reissue of material from these vinyls:

43910277jd.jpg

45422285to.jpg

Billy Gault – When Destiny Calls (The Music Of Billy Gault)

R-1931139-1318158582.jpg.6bdc6387bc476bf4e1a7688559a229f0.jpg

This one is great. I'd never heard of Gault or Bill Saxton (although I now realise I have a few records they're on).

Material - Hallucination Engine

Hallucination_Engine.jpg.050439af556cc58c823ed522d92e42a5.jpg

Wayne Shorter's acid jazz era record.

4 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

45422285to.jpg

What is this? A collection of singles or of 10"s? If the latter what were they? I am struggling to identify them.

Edited by Rabshakeh

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That's been on the wantlist for a while

Yeah, it's a doozy.  I'd love to have it too.

At least I was finally able to find it on YouTube.  You've got to search for it using Japanese script:  双晶   Just in case you haven't found it, here's the link.

My admiration for Togashi continues to grow and grow.  Want to talk about someone whose musical conception transcends the limitations of their instrument?  That's Togashi.  He really is that distinctive.  "Beyond category"!

2 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

As they are on this one too -

NS0yNjAxLmpwZWc.jpeg

AKA

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Yes sir!  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

7 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yeah, it's a doozy.  I'd love to have it too.

At least I was finally able to find it on YouTube.  You've got to search for it using Japanese script:  双晶   Just in case you haven't found it, here's the link.

My admiration for Togashi continues to grow and grow.  Want to talk about someone whose musical conception transcends the limitations of their instrument?  That's Togashi.  He really is that distinctive.  "Beyond category"!

Thanks for the link and 👍🏼 on your assessment of Togashi. 

Have you heard 'Rings' or 'The Face Of Percussion ' both solo recordings? Well worth spending time with