Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MTAtNDUzNS5qcGVn.jpeg

Lou Donaldson - Cosmos (Blue Note, 1971)
with Leon Spencer Jr., Melvin Sparks, Jerry Jemmott, Idris Muhammad, and others

I like how this music ignores boundaries.  Almost anything can be grist for this band's funky mill.  And the backing vocals on Side 1 by three female singers ("Essence") add some pleasing & unexpected colors.  I dig how it all comes together, even if Donaldson isn't quite as prominent as he could've been.

Edited by HutchFan

20 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Stanley Turrentine “Another Story” Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

Oh boy this is sounding great.

Bass – Buster Williams
Drums – Mickey Roker
Flugelhorn – Thad Jones
Piano – Cedar Walton
Tenor Saxophone – Stanley Turrentine

I don't think I've ever heard that one.  I need to fix that post-haste!  ;) 

17 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Screenshot-2020-10-31-184616.jpg

Good one!  :tup 

4 hours ago, felser said:

Herbolzheimer, Peter - Big Band Man: The MPS & Polydor Studio Recordings -  Amazon.com Music

Peter Herbholzheimer´s Big Band was one of the first Big Bands I heard. They were tops. I think I remember that Art Farmer once played with them. They had that mixture of straight ahead big band stuff at it´s best, and some jazz-rock numbers also, where the bass player switched from acoustic to fender. 
I think this was my favourite European Big Band. 
I was quite astonished when I read decades later, that Peter Herbholzheimer was born in București, the beautiful "Paris of the East"🙂. For me he seemed to be 100 la 100 German. 
Time flies, those 70´s was wonderful, this band was also on TV, on Radio....

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MTAtNDUzNS5qcGVn.jpeg

Lou Donaldson - Cosmos (Blue Note, 1971)
with Leon Spencer Jr., Melvin Sparks, Jerry Jemmott, Idris Muhammad, and others

I like how this music ignores boundaries.  Almost anything can be grist for this band's funky mill.  And the backing vocals on Side 1 by three female singers ("Essence") add some pleasing & unexpected colors.  I dig how it all comes together, even if Donaldson isn't quite as prominent as he could've been.

I bought one LD album of the 70´s by mistake , just not my music. I mean I´m not deaf on jazz of the 70´s but not that way BN did it. And I think, other than electric Miles, Weather Report, Head Hunters, RTF, this was very very short lived music. The one of LD that I had, that also was from the 70´s sounded like background music in a Mall or something like that. Anyway I didn´t keep it, it landed in the garbage can.

9 hours ago, BillF said:

👍

👍

Now playing:

image-asset.jpeg?format=750w

I love it. I don´t think it is one of the best known Prestige albums (not as much as the Monk´s , the Miles, the Rollins and Trane), but it´s really a beauty. And I love not only Milt´s fast boppish styled playing, but also his ballads.