• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now: 

Primary

20 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Stan Kenton – Adventures In JazzR-2608871-1581265575-4419.jpg.34aca964fb5a6dac7855abd04a1782af.jpg

Okay, this one I actually like. It seems like all the energy went in the right place with this one. 

It's a good one. If I had to take one Kenton recording to a desert island, this may be it. (The only drawback is Sam Donahue's screeching on tenor at the end of B&S). 

9 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

One of the true  "classics" with Woody. Have the original Capitol vinyl.  BTW beside Kenton Woody is a great part of my total big band stock. Other great examples are Shorty Rogers, Buddy Rich, Bob Florence, Basie & Duke. Cant name them all but big band is a fine  cathegory  of jazz for me.

44976355dr.jpg

👍

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

The Pete Rugolo Orchestra – Rugolo Plays KentonR-3503913-1333035779.jpg.e56ff656416466293ab3dd7e6d4503da.jpg

I enjoyed the swinging first side of this a lot more than the second side.

Yes, it's a good recording. but in general terms Kenton Plays Rugolo is better IMHO. The bands Kenton had in the '45 - '48 period when Rugolo was his chief writer/arranger were pretty awesome.  

Edited by John Tapscott

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Re: Rugolo plays Kenton

😁

Yes, it's a good recording. but in general terms Kenton Plays Rugolo is better IMHO. The bands Kenton had in the '45 - '48 period when Rugolo was his chief writer/arranger were pretty awesome.  

Its here too and yes fine melodies! Favorite ___> ... meets Shearing ;-]]

Edited by jazzcorner

Linda May Han Oh – Aventurine (Biophilia, 2019)R-13980510-1565388656-5272.jpg.87a6bbe9c8fb9d2b5a05ba302691f8d0.jpg

First listen to this. I like it a lot more than Oh's other records, which always struck me as being too modern jazz of the academies. This is a bit more chamber jazzy - like a dreamier Oregon - and has a lot more personality.

Nice break from banging my head with big band racket all weekend.

Edited by Rabshakeh

4 hours ago, optatio said:

IMG_0001 - Kopie (2) (Copy).jpg

IMG_0001 - Kopie (3) (Copy).jpg

Ok, but how do you mention Teo's tenor playing and not mention Warne Marsh?

Dots only partially connected! 

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Interesting quote. I’ve always found the lack of attention paid to those early Mingus records odd. I guess they don’t fit the picture.

Equally odd is the near-total overlooking of the totally transitional Bohemia date with Eddie Bert and George Barrow. If you wonder how it got from there to there, here it is.