• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

That band was on fire and on a roll!

Spotify just put up a concert in Helsinki from Feb. 2. Same band, same repertoire, audio quality not as good, but JESUS!!!

There are people who will complain that Ellington's band never played the charts the same way twice. Wn't finhen the band is operating at this level, that's a supreme blessing.

Anyone know of the Helsinki concert is available as a cd?  (I can't find it.)

3 hours ago, Clunky said:

Sonny Rollins-----Live in London Vol. 1----------(Harkit)

2006 (unauthorised??) issue of January 1965 date at Ronnie Scott's. The sound is better than I remembered . Sound  is well balanced but high end sounds a bit blunted ( noise reduction ?) It and Vol 2 are very listenable , Newk is in fine form aided and abetted by Stan Tracey (p) Rick Laird (b) and Ronnie Stephenson (d)

Excellent .... btw the "house rhythm section" adjusts admirably to the challenge ....

49 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Anyone know of the Helsinki concert is available as a cd?  (I can't find it.)

Don't think it is...I've only seen it on Spotify so far. I think it just dropped a week or two ago.

14 hours ago, Simon8 said:

NzctNTE2MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Nice to hear Woody talk at the end (cool, calm and eloquent). Great music before!

Great music indeed. I saw the same group in 1983 in Austria. Electra Musician was Bruce Lundvalls try to record all the artists who where dropped by CBS after Lundvall left the company, It must have been terrible frustrating for men like Woody Shaw and Dexter Gordon to be dropt by a major label and forced to record for a small label and maybe this led to there abuses with harmful stuff in the following years, that´s my opinion. 
I saw both Woody and Dexter after the loss of the CBS contract each one on stage and from successful artists on the top of the field they turned to frustrated men, loaded with all kinds of harmful stuff and their was an air of death during their gigs, it was a tragedy back then, as the 80´s went on......

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw both Woody and Dexter after the loss of the CBS contract each one on stage and from successful artists on the top of the field they turned to frustrated men, loaded with all kinds of harmful stuff and their was an air of death during their gigs, it was a tragedy back then, as the 80´s went on......

Interesting observations ....