Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MI0001653891.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Rare/previously unreleased tracks from the likes of Aretha Franklin, Esther Phillips, Irma Thomas, Mary Wells, Dee Dee Sharp and more.

MI0002309212.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

A favorite album of mine.  I owe a debt of thanks to my old college dorm roommate (sadly, now deceased) for introducing me to this album.  I'd previously heard the tile track and "Here Come Those Tears Again" on the radio, but it wasn't until I heard him playing the album that I fell in love with the whole album and have owned it on LP, cassette and CD since those days.  It's all the Jackson Browne I own or really need, but it is a masterpiece (even if I frequently skip over "Linda Paloma").

I have to admit. . . I'm really digging this. Bob is doing his best with these and even when he doesn't quite get the notes he FEELS these chestnuts and his interpretations bring something new.

And I LOVE this band and the arrangements, and some of these tunes have some very nicely done subtle horn arrangements. And the sparse country-swing arrangements and playing are just lovely in my opinion.

It still amazes me that Charlie Sexton has been in this band so long. I remember hearing Charlie a half a dozen times at Antone's in Austin in the 'eighties, even talking to him a few times. I never imagined he would end up in Bob's band this century and hold down a seat so long. He's become quite a player.

I know this is not everyone's cup of tea but I really liked the two before this and these three discs (none are very long) are well-sequenced and well-recorded mood pieces. I'm glad it's finally here.

trip-cover_5x5_sq-c028fe25e6d346ffd77967

11 hours ago, Cyril said:
Happy 70th Birthday, Eric Ineke !!!

1471962584.jpg

I like that Dexter tribute album and I notice my friend Rob Van Bavel on piano in the video clip. He's a regular visitor at gigs in Malcolm Frazer's house a couple of miles from here, where he continues to fry bananas ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAiArpXFgmI

Now playing:

1024CL031716_1024x1024.jpg?v=1467041040

Edited by BillF