• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Late 60's Motown signature sounds ....

It's funny that when the Norman Whitfield albums first appeared I wasn't all that impressed.

Maybe I was just emotionally hanging on to the '60's.

Now I think they are amazing, especially Cloud Nine and Psychedelic Shack. 1990 is also great.

R-3978243-1351197056-7184.jpeg.jpg

Just now, kinuta said:

It's funny that when the Norman Whitfield albums first appeared I wasn't all that impressed.

Now I think they are amazing, especially Cloud Nine and Psychedelic Shack. 1990 is also great.

Interesting observation Kinuta - I got acquainted with the Temptations timewise the other side around - but similar experience ....

20 hours ago, Morganized said:

Nina Simone Sings The Blues

My favourite Nina Simone album! Gives me the chills each time ....

Been listening through James Moody's 1968-1970 albums over the last days - arguably some of his best recordings. A fascinating soloist with lots of chops, but he never gets lost in the technical side of it. The settings on these three recordings are all different, but great, and he responds with inspired playing. The sidemen are great, Tom McIntosh's arrangements are superb. 

41DKFSBGBTL.jpg516g1pDiCQL.jpgR-6487551-1420394302-3589.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, kinuta said:

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Interesting observation Kinuta - I got acquainted with the Temptations timewise the other side around - but similar experience ....

For me, the Temptations were never the same and lost me after David Ruffin left.

8 minutes ago, paul secor said:

For me, the Temptations were never the same and lost me after David Ruffin left.

I believe the Temptations became more of an group effort after the demise  of David Ruffin - probaly not better or worse, just different .... and the Temptation`s loss turned into a soul communitie`s gain with Davi Ruffin`s first solo platter ....

cf4eb153b15e9d3b1b1ce052af1257aa.500x500

7 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I believe the Temptations became more of an group effort after the demise  of David Ruffin - probaly not better or worse, just different ....

I guess that different people hear things in different ways. For me, after David Ruffin left, they were just a Norman Whitfield production outfit.