Dap-Dippin' with Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings

JSngry

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(or is this too black, too strong for the masses?)

(Or is this too white for the supremely hip cognoscenti?)

I've seen him live and he's good.

Dude is actually albino.

Brother Ali is a white albino (as in whiter than white). Using only your eyes, it would look like modern day minstrelsy. Using your ears, however, it is something else entirely: highly original and drenched with uncommon deep blues feeling for 21st century Hip Hop. I couldn't believe it when I found out that Brother Ali is white.

Edited by John L

his cadences are obvious and uninspired and his lyrics are hitting me in the testes with a hot skilllet with shards of glass taped to it.

the accompaniment sounds like a band of suburban teenagers who like pavment and guided by voices or phish playing as best they can something they would consider "rap" accompaniment like if their friend came over and said "play a rap beat because i am going to rap".

though at the same time, shaq fu...

I couldn't disagree with you more.

There is nothing at all obvious about Brother Ali's delivery and flow. His voice is unique, and immediately recognizable whenever it appears. Part of the attraction are the very bluesy rhythmic accents that he uses. I also think that the production on this record is superb, perhaps the crowning achievement to date of the highly talented producer Ant. It is this kind of dynamic Hip Hop that gives me hope about the future of American music. It embodies the past while being unmistakably of now and the future.

Those Bomb Squad mixes for Public Enemy are classic, of course. But the grooves are quite different.

I would write that no "band of suburban teenagers" could ever create a groove like that. But who knows? I would have never believed that a white boy could rap like that.

Edited by John L

• 2 weeks later...

when there's the likes of this, largely unheard by ya'll -->

King's Serious Soul

I've had this disc for 5+ years and, in my retail days, sold around 20 copies on the strength of Jimmy Braswell's "I Can't Give You My Heart" alone.

A definite favourite.

And there's more where that came from on Volume 2. The Ace King Soul compilations were quite nice, particularly considering the obscurity of many of the artists.

Ace has given us quite a number of great soul compilations in recent years. One that I keep coming back to is the 3-disc "Hotatlanta" series that documents Sam Dee's brand of Atlanta soul in the 1970s. I loved this stuff when it was first released, and it has aged remarkably well. The three volumes are:

1) Good Guys Don't Always Win

2) Full Time Groovers

3) Holding the Winning Hand

The singers include Sam Dees himself (who also has two fine discs to himself on Ace), Peggy Scott, Bill Brandon, Rozetta Johnson, Fredrick Knight, and other lesser known names of mostly high quality.

I'd love to take the credit for posting that link Noj, but that must go to Clem. I screwed up when I was quoting his original post.

I've also had my eye on that Main Ingredient disc - if you like the harmony/sweet soul, you might want to check this out.

So-so sound quality, but some wonderfully gritty lead vocals with a mixture of Detroit and Chicago studio bands.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I'm not getting here too late but last week my brother emailed me to say he was at a Barnes & Noble and was so blown away by the music being played in the CD/DVD section that he was compelled to ask who it was. Long story short, he took it upon himself to order 100 Days, 100 Nights from Amazon for both of his brothers. That box just arrived so I can finally join in this discussion myself.

^ I think you will like it.

I certainly expected that I would but the fact is I've given this newest CD three listens, and my reaction each time is a great big 'meh'. World class vocal chops and a tight band, but ... maybe I'm missing the point (shaking your ass) but I expected better songs. There was only a single song that I wanted to play a second time. :huh:

BTW, did anyone else notice "Ian Hendrickson-Smith" on bari in the credits? Checking the info on the Cellar Live website for his live CD, its the same guy who records for Sharp Nine. Not that you could tell by his playing on the CD.

I certainly expected that I would but the fact is I've given this newest CD three listens, and my reaction each time is a great big 'meh'. World class vocal chops and a tight band, but ... maybe I'm missing the point (shaking your ass) but I expected better songs. There was only a single song that I wanted to play a second time. :huh:

BTW, did anyone else notice "Ian Hendrickson-Smith" on bari in the credits? Checking the info on the Cellar Live website for his live CD, its the same guy who records for Sharp Nine. Not that you could tell by his playing on the CD.

I enjoyed "100 Days, 100 Nights," but I don't think that it's the best of the Jones/Dap-Kings discography by a long shot. For me it would probably be "Naturally," which features the mighty duet "Stranded in Your Love" with Lee Fields. The first album, "Dap-Dippin'" is great as well, but I thought that "Naturally" is overall the stronger album.

Some people are going to have a part of their brain that can't stop regarding this music as "inauthentic." Since I care absolutely nothing for authenticity, I don't have any issue whatsoever, but if you wonder why anyone would listen to a bunch of 20 and 30-somethings playing 60s/70s soul music, then this probably isn't for you.

Edited by Alexander

Your not alone, my wife felt the same way and I thought it would have been a slam dunk for her. I guess compared to the MTV version of what RnB and soul is now it's conceivable that some are over rating it. I still enjoy it and wouldn't mind catching her live.

Edited by WorldB3

Hey Dan...good eye. That is THE Ian Hendrickson-Smith. He's a full-on member of the Daps these days and has been for a while. Ian actually plays Tenor now live and they have another guy playing Bari live. Ian and the rest of the horn guys came out an sat it with me after their gig a couple of weeks ago here in Austin. They are BAAAAAADDDDDDD...., and Ian in particular is just about my favorite cat!

Hey Dan...good eye. That is THE Ian Hendrickson-Smith. He's a full-on member of the Daps these days and has been for a while. Ian actually plays Tenor now live and they have another guy playing Bari live. Ian and the rest of the horn guys came out an sat it with me after their gig a couple of weeks ago here in Austin. They are BAAAAAADDDDDDD...., and Ian in particular is just about my favorite cat!

Well good for Ian, I am sure that its easier to make a living as a member of the band than trying to scrounge jazz gigs. When I checked All Music I discovered that he has a live CD out on Cellar Live - the sound clips sound very good, I hope to pick this one up real soon.