mjzee

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

It's interesting that the club failed (which I presume had a liquor license to drive profits, or at least keep it solvent) but the label, in this day and age, is so prolific and with actual CDs being pressed.

To get free shipping on the Magnarelli/Moore disc I threw in Weeds' Code Blue, his Jackie McLean songbook disc, and a recent Scott Hamilton trio release. Looking forward to all three.

• 1 month later...

My copy of the Mags is en route, and now I see on the Amazon release page, its actually a program of Dameron compositions, including two new ones!

This all-star band of trumpeter Joe Magnarelli, tenor saxophonist Ralph Moore, pianist Anthony Wonsey, bassist Dezron Douglas and drummer George Fludas breath new life into the compositions of the great Tadd Dameron. A supremely swinging affair, If You Could See Me Now includes two never before recorded Tadd Dameron tunes: The Dream Is You and Sando Latino. .

16 minutes ago, bertrand said:

So glad someone is finally recording some of those unknown Tadd tunes I unearthed. Amazing how they were just sitting there. Going to order that one ASAP.

Bertrand.

So do you know how it went from your research to Magnarelli choosing these two to play? Since you were unaware I am assuming you didn't have a direct hand ...

Dream is You was actually already recorded by Don Braden and Vanessa Rubin with her lyrics, but this could be the first instrumental recording. It will probably be on her Dameron CD next year.

IIRC Sando Latino was one of several Tadd tunes on Milt Jackson's lost Atlantic record, so it had to come directly or indirectly from the Library of Congress. I will investigate.

Also, Todd's biographer Paul Combs recorded a CD of rare material, not sure when it will come out. Very psyched because one of my favorite vocalists, Danielle Wertz, is on a few tunes.

Bertrand.

PS: I should get paid for the hell I go through every time I try to look at jazz lead sheets at the Library of Congress. One Librarian tells me jazz is not art, another makes crazy restrictions on how to handle the music. I was the one who told them to protect it in folders. It might just be because it's me, I heard them whispering amongst each other. No one will be willing to do the work I do, so some of this music may be lost forever if I decide to throw in the towel. There are some rare Julius Watkins charts I am trying to figure out what could be done with...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Brad said:

Listened to a couple of Cory Weeds cuts on YouTube (not the Cellar); a nice sound. 

He's highly recommended. There are particularly nice recordings with the Jeff Hamilton Trio and he's done two fine "music of" sessions, one highlighting Jackie Mac and the other the Mobe.

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 10:10 AM, bertrand said:

Dream is You was actually already recorded by Don Braden and Vanessa Rubin with her lyrics, but this could be the first instrumental recording. It will probably be on her Dameron CD next year.

IIRC Sando Latino was one of several Tadd tunes on Milt Jackson's lost Atlantic record, so it had to come directly or indirectly from the Library of Congress. I will investigate.

Also, Todd's biographer Paul Combs recorded a CD of rare material, not sure when it will come out. Very psyched because one of my favorite vocalists, Danielle Wertz, is on a few tunes.

Bertrand.

PS: I should get paid for the hell I go through every time I try to look at jazz lead sheets at the Library of Congress. One Librarian tells me jazz is not art, another makes crazy restrictions on how to handle the music. I was the one who told them to protect it in folders. It might just be because it's me, I heard them whispering amongst each other. No one will be willing to do the work I do, so some of this music may be lost forever if I decide to throw in the towel. There are some rare Julius Watkins charts I am trying to figure out what could be done with...

I'd buy a Vanessa Rubin album of Dameron songs and I'd expect a local CD release show.  In fact, Rubin sat in and sang 'Good Bait' with Benny Golson the last time he played in town.  There have been a few tributes to Dameron here in the Cleveland area recently, with another coming up by the Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra.

• 2 months later...