AOW suggestions

mikeweil

To keep the "AOW past & present" thread clean I rather start a new one.

I find the George Russell Jazz Workshop album an excellent choice and would take part in a discussion on this one.

I can't afford to buy specific CDs for this discussion at the time but would participate if I had the CD in my collection, like this one.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about some suggestions of more out stuff, essential or historical out stuff that lots of people might own?

Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity, anyone?

Joe Harriott - Free Form?

I know my Hal Russell attempt gloriously failed, but we might be able to discuss some more "popular" or widespread free stuff.

ubu

I wouldn't recommend Joe Harriott's Free Form because unless the situation's changed recently it's now out of print. There was a brief period in the late 1990s when Columbia rereleased a bunch of British avant stuff (Riley, Harriott) but they vanished quickly, as usual. -- I assume Spiritual Unity is still available though I've lost track by now of who's got the rights now......the reissue history of ESP-Disk is truly bewildering.

Hm, does the AOW always have to be something pretty widely owned by boardmembers? Most of the things I would think of nominating would be outside the Blue Note golden age, even though within the jazz mainstream. E.g. something like Hank Jones' Upon Reflection or Alan Broadbent's Personal Standards or the Braff/Kellaway Inside & Out. But perhaps this would be pointless if the albums weren't in most collections & few people would go to the trouble/expense of purchasing them just for the sake of the AOW.

Nate, you can always throw up the ball and see who catches it before you announce the actual AotW. I myself have been buying stuff after reading a blurp on a future AotW. If you write up why you think a particular album definitely deserves to be nominated AotW, then I think some people will be buying to join in the discussions; especially if you throw in the whole weight of your writing skills.

Yeah, the Jones is a marvelous disc.....I recently heard Autumn Leaves which reunites Hank & Elvin, but though it's good, it really doesn't touch Upon Reflection. Part of the point of discussing the latter would be that I'm shamefully ignorant of the work of Thad Jones, either solo or as leader of the Jones/Lewis band, & it might be a useful thread. Also to discuss Thad as composer....so far I've not noticed a best vogue for Jones in the way that there is for say the tunes of Nichols or Sonny Clark or Hank Mobley (to name some contemporaries). Though there's at least one other tribute album (by Tommy Flanagan...).

The Flanagan album of Thad Jones covers, Let's Play The Music of Thad Jones is excellent and would make a terrific AOTW. Have not heard the Hank Jones, but I would be willing to seek it out. I do have Autumn Leaves, but although I thought it was solid I was somewhat underwhelmed.

I would probably participate in the AOTW more often if there were more of a variety in the recordings selected. I appreciated the recent attempt to have a discussion on the Komeda disc. I was unfamiliar with Komeda beforehand, but seeing it nominated motivated me to investigate Komeda. Of course we did not see the usual level of discussion as we do on the more well known recordings.

OK I'd be interested in doing the next available AOW slot (is that immediately following the Lee Morgan choice or is there already someone signed up following that?). My pick would be the Jones Upon Reflection but I'd also welcome discussion of the Tommy Flanagan disc (which I haven't heard but certainly should), & also of Thad Jones' own music.

"Upon Reflection" is a beautiful album! I'd sure love to discuss it!

Hank's album got me interested in Thad, it's a real beauty and touchs a raw nerve of sentiment every time. Thads compositions are extraordinary some remind me of Herbie Nichol's.

I am still quite new to this list (I promise I will stop saying this in about a week or so..), and I feel like I am intruding here as I do not know the "rules" for participating in the AOW thread .... but I would like to suggest something rather different for consideration for AOW. It always evoked lots of response when I played "early" experimental jazz on my radio show, as many of today's fans of "out" music have seldom heard this stuff. So, impressed as I am by the breadth of knowledge on this board, I am very eager to hear the response to a classic, pioneering avant-garde work ... Shelly Manne's THE THREE AND THE TWO (Contemporary OJCCD-172-2) ... Recorded in 1954, this album features two groups .. Manne with pianist Russ Freeman, and Manne with Shorty Rogers, and Jimmy Giuffre. Great stuff, even by today's standards ... and historical very important.

There are other interesting things with Teddy Charles, Rogers, Giuffre et. al. worthy of wider recognition today, and thanks to Fantasy Records all still available on CD.

BTW, if it is not obvious, I really enjoy this board, and get a great kick out of the "rediscoveries" in the AOW thread.

Garth.

I'm going with Horace Silver next week...then I get to choose the person who posts the week after, correct?

correct.

you might as well start the thread now, give people a chance to dig the particular Silver disk you have in mind out from under all the others.

also: tap the shoulder pronto. If whoever follows wants to do a disk that not everyone owns, some time to track it down is in order.

I'm going with Horace Silver next week...then I get to choose the person who posts the week after, correct?

That's the way its been done in the past, though I think some of the newer members are confused by the different method used for the blindfold test.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...