BLINDFOLD TEST #8

Jim Dye

Nice picks you guys. Last track...of course Tyner. Does he appear elswhere? or maybe Avery being notso "sharpe" on another cut?? Trying to figure the thread here, if there is one?

Nice hits Nate. I think I needs to get that Harris disc (and that it doesn't have Weiselman on it is a plus for me). I knew it had all the markings of the NYCO. It's basically the group under a different title. Whatever happened to that new World label anyway?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, here are my thoughts on Disc One, before reading any other comments.

This is a very well conceived disc, great sequencing, extremely enjoyable from start to finish! Thanks, Jim!

# 1: Very nice! That bass clarinet riff had me dancing around the room. I have no idea who this is, but the instrumentation is great - trumpet, trombone, clarinet, bass clarinet, electric bass and drums - and even the electric bass works fine for me here. It's nice the drummer uses brushes for most of the piece, which gives it a bouncy dancing feel although he plays so funky.

# 2: A masterful seamless transition. Contrary to track 1, the bass sound here annoys me, I took it for an electric first, but it's one of those dreaded pickups. Don't like the drum sound either, all heads are muffled. But the interaction between the alto sax and piano ist great. Again, no idea.

# 3: This sounds like a lost track from Larry Young's Blue Note sessions ... well, I won't step into that trap:

I bought this on B3-er's recommendation. Sure a nice record. More later.

# 4: I would say these are Brazilian musicians, at least part of them. Nice, but much too short, I would like to hear a few solos, especially some scatting from the singer, to find out what she really can do. This leaves me dissatisfied.

# 5: Very nice cut, I like that crazy Balkan brass band feel a lot! This is something I would like to hear more from. The low horns are great. Would be even better if they had used a tuba for the bass line.

# 6: This leaves me with mixed feelings: I like the 7/8 part, but find the alternating with straight 4/4 a little too common, although they do the transition extremely well. Harmonically this is an example for the stuff that almost drove me away from jazz, as everybody was writing such things for many years. The soprano player sounds familiar, but I'll have to give it some more listening first before I risk a guess.

# 7: This is brother Joseph the Kind One, one of the greatest blues players in the world of jazz, from a peppy live recording ....

# 8: This could be Bobby Watson and Victor Lewis, has a rhythmic groove and spirit like these two have, but I don't know the record.

# 9: This seems to be my favourite doorbellist of all times, with the pianist he collaborated with in the 1960's before he joined a famous blowtube player.

# 10: No idea, but a very nice groove and spirit.

# 11: The tune is "Nature Boy", but I'm not sure about the singer. Very good original arrangement. I have to contemplate about this some more.

# 12: The big band of one famous Trane collaborator. Sounds much better than I remembered that band, very good but the energy of it drives me nuts in higher doses.

Very good compilation, I have to say it again! Thanks a lot!

More on the bonus disc later.

My second shot on 1-3 was closer, but not quite right.

This time you scored! What disappointed me a little about that album is that it is so damn close to the Larry Young stuff, too close - now Jim Sangrey, is this a Larry Young clone? I wish they'd try and go a little beyond Young's achievements, who was a lot more progressive at times, especially on his later work outside of funk experiments.

Number 7. 'nuff said! :g

Marvellous stuff! Of course the tenor is fabulous, but my love for this trumpet has grown and grown. The guy did an AWESOME version of I Remember Clifford with this very same band, that's just that: AWESOME. I hope the rest of the leader's Impulse albums finally see the day of light on shiny CDs. A Golden whistle has blown and a start has been made.

I forgot to include the sentence "of course this is couw's favourite trumpeter" in my guesses" :g

me again!

Track 9: I was looking at that list of conns a while ago and did some background fun-browsing on the ones I didn't have. The combination of piano and vibes struck me. The track included fits with the album title and that's how I got there. I see I am not alone in my guess and found an online sample that sez :tup

What's very interesting is that there is an uptempo version on this album that makes for an entirely different mood! As I have said elsewhere, to me this vibes/Piano teaming was one of the great collaborations in jazz!

# 7: This is brother Joseph the Kind One, one of the greatest blues players in the world of jazz, from a peppy live recording ....

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww..........

That was so bad, even Milton Berle wouldn't steal that one! :g

I tell ya, one thing these BFTs has taught me is that I have the most boring mainstream taste in jazz there is. I have yet to have a clue on hardly ANY of the last few BFTs. The bright side, of course, is that there is so much more jazz out there I've yet to discover! :tup

Hi Jim,

got my discs yesterday and hope to pay some attention to them during the next days..

first impression: more on that I do not have a clue right from the beginning.... some stuff on I really enjoyed directly when playing some shortcuts...

more to come...

cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT: after a quick listening session:...

#3.... sounds somewhat familiar (a very very early 60st Jim Alfredson maybe B) or one of his precessors on Organ here)

#4 seems to be a RTF one or even more a kind of RTF follower with Flora Purim as vocalist and on percussions (would bet its with George Duke on electric Piano)

#5 some jazzy Klezmer ??? new to me but I dig it..

#7-9 no clue, but great stuff that I do really like much

#12 .. would bet money on Tyner here but not sure what record its from so will dig a bit more in depth there.

The rest... will give it a second round tonight...thanks so far Jim ! :tup

Edited by tjobbe

Yeah I'm not a big Roy Campbell fan, to judge by the what I've heard (with RC as sideman--I haven't sought out his discs as a leader). Competent enough but not much more, to my ear. I once got some nasty letters from a disciple of RC's when I suggested that the guy's praise of Campbell in the liner notes to an album (as the greatest innvator on trumpet of the last 30 years) was absurd. -- Anyway, who knows if I got the i.d. right in the case ofthe BFT track but I think I did.

I just can't resist a link. Silly me... I have always meant to get these two. I was more interested in finding out for couw's (and everybody else's) trumpeter. :tup

After looking back at what I wrote I guess I should be made to drop and give ya fifty. I fell for Mike's clue but thought not even though the flute was definitely his. Having never heard these two I figured that it might be too obvious for the rest of you all, and it was.

I'm enjoying this BFT a bunch! Especially track 9; simply beautiful! Track five is exciting, a great stomper! Track 6, the drummer sounds like Tony Williams, no? Aw heck, I'm lovin' this whole thing! Can't wait for the answers, to see how much THIS BFT is gonna cost me! B)

One thing that keeps fascinating me about these Blindfold Tests is the rules that apply, without us having established beforehand. Some apply to the tests as such, like:

1. There always (?) is an obscure Blue Note item, or a hidden gem from a release of that label

2. (you name it!)

Some rules are my very personal thing:

1. There always (!) is an item from an artist or even a track that I considered for my own upcoming compilation

2. There always (!) is an item I have in my collection that I do not recognize or only after some hints or going through my collection.

Rule 1 is represented in BFT # 8 by track 9.

Rule 2 is represented in BFT # 8 by track 11 - but I said in my first guesses post that I had to contemplate on this a little more, which I did, 'cause that voice sounded familiar, and there it was! Bought it at ebay last year and so far have listended to it only twice, which is wrong - it is much too good an album - and there are far too many singers of that caliber that are neglected, which she was until five years ago. Now do you recognize that lady?

thornton_two_look.jpg

If not: It is on this album.

The German catalog of that label group doesn't list it any longer - go get it while it is still in print.

Edited by mikeweil

Congratulations Dyes!

I'm making a commitment to do this whole thing right now.

01 Always cool to hear a Dolphy cover. I'm not sure who this is. Clarinet, trombone, vibraphone, electric bass(?), drum kit, hand percussion. The hand percussion is excessive on this tune. Out of character. Solos aren't great. Of course, I'm only comparing to the original...

02 I've heard this song before. Its a Monk tune, someone else's arrangement. I don't know what it is, but I've got in on the shelves in there somewhere. I don't like the production on this one. I wouldn't be able to keep this CD. Terrible, right?

03 HUGE UNITY INFLUENCE. Same instrumentation, though definitely not the same musicians. The b-3er is really doing it though! Larry lives on. Very well done. We could use more music like this. I'll be interested in hearing the rest of this CD. I really like the trumpet solo. Great opening phrase. He's got a nice big soft tone. I'd like to hear him on a flugelhorn or a cornet also! Who dat?

04 That is some hip-ass tropicalia. Definitely Airto and Flora. I love a dirty Rhodes. Damn, I love the sounds on this track. Flora can be over the top, but she seems to be pretty much in check on this one. If this is what Return To Forever sounds like, I'll be checking them out.

05 My first inclination was to say Dirty Dozen Brass Band, but there is a bassist, and an eastern european influence in the music. They weren't this well-versed when I saw them a few weeks ago. They are no longer a dozen strong, by the way. I am way off, but the drumming is all march. Substitute sousaphone for bass and we've got something! I think the bassist is trying to sound like a big horn with that set-up. Downtown New Yorkers I guess?

06 McCoy Tyner. That is a very well recorded drum kit. Coltrane trill ends the saxophone solo. Definitley post-Coltrane. 1970s? This is good, but not inherently unique. Digging the trumpet solo! Is it Woody Shaw maybe? Hell of a drum workout. I feel like I've heard this band before. Surprise! I don't know.

07 Great live bass recording! Whoa, what happened to the drum kit?! And the trumpet! Strange recording. Nice solos, quick tempo opens up into a great slow blues. This might be Yusef Lateef. Nice tenor blues solo gets the crowd going. Is this from the Left Bank maybe? Flute... is this Yusef Lateef? I am wondering if this is a real piano. Nice 12-bar solo. Lots of bass space. Maybe this date is led by the bassist!

08 Mid-late 1970s. I think of studio musicians and cocaine. Maybe McCoy Tyner. I wouldn't be able to keep this CD in my collection. Sometimes I wonder if production is what almost killed jazz in the 1970s.

09 Sounds like film music. Pensive and patient. I recognize the pianist, but I can't figure it out. The drummer seems to have tempo problems with his ride cymbal once they get going, especially during the piano solo. It is detracting. Wow. Amazing vibraphone intro on the solo. That is a big sound! Maybe this is Gary Burton. I haven't heard much of his playing yet. I can't seem to find a band that I like.

10 This is a Pharoah Sanders tune. The pianist reminds me of that Fine Young Cannibals tune. Was that the end of a cassette side?

11 I don't know! Interesting voice though. Interesting song and lyrics too. I'd be interested in hearing more of this.

12 Tony Williams Wilderness? No. Not as eleborate and arranged. Not Tony's drumming either. Not even close. I've heard this though. The production is too rough to be any of that late Tony Williams music. It just goes on and on. End already!

I am not too good at identifying the soloists. When I first started listening to jazz and I had 20 discs, I knew each and every character. Now that I have hundreds of different musicians on the rack, and hundreds more that I didn't care for, it is hard to keep everyone straight.

What I have learned most from these Blindfold Tests so far is that I have developed an individual palette for jazz music, as has most everyone else here. We all agree that jazz music is great, but we don't necessarily agree on which jazz music is great! The blindfold tests tend to focus on the stuff that isn't generally considered classic.

Nice mix Jim. Thanks again. and Congratulations!

Edited by .:.impossible

1. Carla Bley-ish? At first I thought this sounded like it could have been a Dave Holland record (sounds like Steve Nelson comping on vibes) but the electric bass makes me wonder if this is Steve Swallow with Bley. I like the use of the clarinets. Trombone solo--nice, some interesting ideas.

2. I feel like I've heard this tenor player before, but I don't know where. Who's using the dreaded bass direct? That makes me think this is late '80s/early '90s, maybe mid-90s. This guy reminds me a little of Branford, but it's not him--lots of Joe Henderson in that sound, but not Joe, either. Drums are sparse but swinging. Piano sounds good, very McCoy-influenced, rhythmically speaking. Ron Blake on tenor, perhaps? I think his sound has a similar "bite" to this guy's.

3. I really like this kind of groove. The organ player sounds very steeped in Larry Young and this tune is in fact a lot like "Zoltan" in structure--it's probably the organ player's tune. No clue who this sax player is. Of the modern-day organ players I know, I'm gonna guess Larry Goldings--Bill Heid is more Patterson-ish than this most of the time, Dan Wall has a much different sound and touch. I haven't checked out any Adam Scone so no clue if this is him. Trumpet player--no idea. Maybe it really is Heid? Some of those lines are more virtuosic than what I've heard from Goldings.

4. Starting with the electric piano...no clue at all who this is, with that acoustic guitar and all. I'd be inclined to think this is actually not from the

'70s, maybe from the '80s or later. This sounds too funky for Chick Corea. Nice texture, but the tune isn't really going anywhere--it's all about the groove for these guys. Like the use of the cuica in there.

5. Very interesting! Sounds almost West Indian on the intro, then they go into that funky groove--New Orleans meets the shtetl. Not Zorn to my ears.

6. Is THIS Branford? If it is, I don't think that's 'Tain on drums. Nor is it Kenny Kirkland on piano. I could swear I've heard all these guys before on other records, but not sure where. Trumpet player is great--definitely heard them before, reminds me of Ingrid Jensen or Tom Harrell.

7. I hear RVG's piano sound. This isn't a Blue Note record, though. What a wacky blues head! Dammit, I KNOW who this tenor player is but can't place the name. Wait a minute--where's that applause coming from? This really doesn't sound like a live record to me. Tenor player reminds me slightly of Wayne, but if it is, this is very early--pre-Blakey, and that just doesn't fit. Not sure who that is on flute. In the piano solo, I hear Marcus Roberts, I hear some Ray Bryant. A stumper.

8. The groove and harmony make me think this is something Mulgrew Miller would do. Alto--not Kenny Garrett. Not Bobby Watson. My roommate says Donald Harrison, and I'm inclined to agree.

9. Not the foggiest idea. I'm gonna take a completely wild stab and say it's something from this: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aagx7gjur86iw

10. The production on this is a mite too slick for my tastes. There's something about that piano sound that I just don't dig. Is this Ronnie Cuber, circa the late 1980s? Not sure who else it could possibly be. Everyone plays fine, and I'm very glad they're using real drums, just not something I would pull out too frequently.

11. I like this vocalist. My female vocalist collection is sorely lacking. For me this track is a little limp in the middle, but a nice enough vibe.

12. I guess this is the big band of, as Mike put it, the 'famous Trane collaborator'. Heard this tune before, elsewhere, but don't remember the name. Maybe I heard it live? I saw these guys about 4 years ago at the Blue Note. I'd be curious as to who arranged this.

Edited by Big Wheel

So the other day I popped disc 1 into my CD player at work and started listening, but I was doing some other things as well (uh, like work) and so wasn't really paying a lot of attention. But then I recognized a song that I had just been listening to earlier in the day. Hey, I thought, that's Sam Rivers. Wow, I was just listening to that very track earlier. And then the next song started and I realized that it, too, was Sam Rivers - from a disc I only recently purchased. And then I realized that I had placed BFT #8, Disc 1 on top of the Sam Rivers disc that was already in my CD player....

Where's that Homer Simpson "D'oh" pic when I really need it?

Anyway, that's just my roundabout way of saying that I'll be posting my comments soon, hopefully after my girls go to bed....

Many thanks to Jim Dye for this excellent compilation. My budget cannot keep up with the music these BFTs are making me want to buy.

1. The BFT starts with a bang, I really like this. Chico Hamilton?

2. This cooks...top notch. Don't know.

3. It only gets better. I like the organ player's approach on this one.

4. Well all righty, let's go to India...or is it Middle Eastern?. I love the haunting vibe here. Aspects of the vocals remind me of Marlena Shaw "Woman Of The Ghetto"

5. Definitely a Middle Eastern influence here too. I'm a sucker for the military style drums, this is cool stuff.

6. Woody Shaw? Drummer and bassist really work this one to a frenzy with like a minute left. Another one that I really like.

7. Dig the sudden change in tempo. Didn't expect the flute. Is that one song? Roland Kirk? Yusef Lateef? Enjoyed this.

8. What's not to like?

9. Immediately infectious, this and number 4 are my favorites so far.

10. Pharoah Sanders?

11. Cool grooves, I can dig it. The female vocalist is gritty, and those horns are murder.

12. No shocker here, I like the closing track too. Reminds me of Charles Lloyd.

THANKS AGAIN JIM DYE, AND CONGRATULATIONS ON THE BIRTH OF YOUR SON!

I will comment on the Bonus Disc at another time, it is playing as I type. :tup

Now, on to read everyone's responses...