BLINDFOLD TEST #8

Jim Dye

Here are my first impressions of CD1. Impressions of the "bonus CD" coming later--when I've posted them, I'll go back and read through the thread and kick myself for my ignorance, as usual. ;-)

Disc 1

1. I can't say I recognize anyone, but the general mood and procedure, plus the somewhat lame clarinet playing, make me think this is Don Byron (my apologies to Don Byron fans). Therefore it could be Craig Harris on trombone, although actually it doesn't really sound like his vocabulary.

2. Nice. No idea who it is.

3. Trumpet and tenor sax sound very familiar. I like it very much but as usual, have no clue who it is.

4. I like the dirty electric keyboard sound, very 70's. I thought of Flora Purim at first but came to doubt it. Maybe Tanya Maria? Sheer speculation, I don't really know what she sounds like at all, but this seems to be Brazilian Portuguese. At first I was annoyed at it because it was repetitive, but by the end I was enjoying it for the same reason.

5. I could see getting drunk and whirling around the dance floor to this.

6. I'll guess it's something by Tony Williams' quintet. That would be Billy Pierce, Wallace Roney, Mulgrew Miller and Charnett Moffett. This guess is mostly because this kind of aggressive, tentacular drumming sounds like Williams to me, and he had a quintet with this instrumentation, and it could conceivably be Pierce on soprano. On the other hand, that doesn't sound like Roney to me, so WTHDIK? Jeff Watts could conceivably have done this, too, but the drumming isn't crazy enough.

7. Reminiscent of a Mingus performance in many ways but definitely not a Mingus group. Very tasty drummer. I assume it's the tenor player who doubles on flute, since that's generally the way, but what kind of flute is that? I love the whole thing--I'll be looking for this when I find out what it is!

8. Well, that alto player is no shrinking violet. Hot stuff here, perhaps a little overheated at times. The rhythm section sounds familiar, especially the pianist, but I don't know who they are.

9. No idea. I like piano/vibes combinations when the music is right for it, but this is a bit plodding. I know Bobby Hutcherson did some live recordings with this instrumentation, but I'd have expected better, or at least different, from him.

10. Can't say I think much of this one. This sounds like a funky pop tune without the lyrics. As a matter of fact I keep thinking I know the tune and ought to be singing along. The baritone playing is spirited.

11. I don't know this singer and don't think I'll search her out on the strength of this. She has nice pipes but her phrasing is kind of all over the place, and the accompanying musicians never really hit a groove.

12. Not my cup of tea. The rhythm is too relentless, the arrangement is just muscle-bound--no finesse, no subtlety. Even loud, storming big bands should have a little finesse and subtlety.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now for the bonus CD...

1. I find this profoundly dull. The thudding bass vamp, the aimless solos. What's the point?

2. That's got to be John Carter on clarinet. (Don Byron, take a seat.) Is this one of those famous Horace Tapscott quartet things that are always raved about? The Dark Tree? This also has that bass vamp thing, but better done, and the solos are far more interesting than those in number 1. This is the real thing. Very nice.

3. This has a bit more of a compositional bent than number 1, at first. But after the drum solo it's just free-jazz collective blowing as practiced since time immemorial. Well, forty years anyway. Nothing too original but I find I like it pretty well. They're comfortable making all those nice, noisy textures together, and I like the textures they come up with. Good music to do the housekeeping to when there's no one around to complain about it. Self-indulgent but fun.

4. My first thought is that this could be same guys who did number 3, but playing something with a beat. This has a very familiar vibe. Is it David Murray's octet? Ah, there's the tenor solo - that clinches it, definitely Murray. They're a spunky little group.

Great mixes, Jim. I really enjoyed listening to both of these. I've spun the discs a few more times and am still baffled by many of your selections.

1-1 Definitely Ray Anderson on trombone, but I still don't have the foggiest clue what album this is from. I really dig this track.

1-2 No clue

1-3 This is either a track from the Larry Young Mosaic that I have never heard or someone has been worshiping at his alter for many years. This might be the one track I am most curious to see the answer to.

1-4 cheesy 70's keyboards, the vocals aren't doing anything for me. Not my cup of tea.

1-5 I really dig this song. No clue who it is but the tuba / sousaphone player reminds me of Matt Perrine.

1-6 no clue

1-7 Classic album. Got to be from this one.

1-8 Very nice. A smokin' live track...don't know who this is but I am really looking forward to finding out.

1-9 no clue

1-10 Again, the vocals just aren't doing it for me. Not my cup of tea.

1-11 No clue

1-12 Sounds like something arranged for a 70's TV show theme. No clue

I was more familiar with the cuts on disc 2, which I also really enjoyed.

2-1 No clue who this is but I like the droning bass and the bird song and other odd noises tossed in.

2-2 Everyone should buy a copy of this before it goes out of print. Excellent music, great recording. I need to get more of his music soon, perhaps starting with the solo discs on Nimbus.

2-3 Not 100% sure on this one, but I think it is from this one. Sounds like a few Parkers, one on bass, one circular breathing as well as some electronics.

2-4 David Murray? Not familiar with the album this is from but it sure sounds like him on sax.

All in all a fantastic mix that will end up costing me some money once I see the answers to a few of these.

6. I'll guess it's something by Tony Williams' quintet. That would be Billy Pierce, Wallace Roney, Mulgrew Miller and Charnett Moffett. This guess is mostly because this kind of aggressive, tentacular drumming sounds like Williams to me, and he had a quintet with this instrumentation, and it could conceivably be Pierce on soprano. On the other hand, that doesn't sound like Roney to me, so WTHDIK? Jeff Watts could conceivably have done this, too, but the drumming isn't crazy enough.

I have all of this quintet's CDs and it#s not on them. And this definitely not Tony's drum sound, which was a lot heavier during his last decade.

First of all, thanks Jim for a wonderful compilation of music. Very cohesive and coherent, IMHO. I received it on Saturday morning and, through the weekend, it has helped me forget the last events that took place in Madrid.

My comments (haven´t read the previous posts, but have checked my shelves and made some AMG research) on Disc 1:

1.- The song is Eric Dolphy´s “Iron man”, but that bass clarinet isn´t Dolphy: though I have only one version of that song by Dolphy –in the Illinois concert- and I know he did a few more, I´m afraid it´s not Dolphy. The context doesn´t fit (another clarinet, the rhythm section…). No idea who could be.

Not my usual kinda stuff, but I did like it!

2.- My guess: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...zeflk7gf6#TRACK (track 1)

3.- No idea of that organ player. I´m not much into the B3 thing!

BTW: I like that drumming.

4.- Hey, un paisano!!! http://www.dustygroove.com/prip/5/9/78095i.htm

Jim may have taken it from:

http://www.dustygroove.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap...9s&issearch=yes (disc 14)

or

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Arhuj6j4171y0 (track 10)

or

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A5ho7gjyr36ix (track 4)

BTW: I don´t like it at all ;)

5.- WTH is this? That oriental flavour reminds me of… nothing. No clue.

6.- Looks at a drummer date. Very strong drumming. Good soprano blowing.

7.- Superb live track! Who´s that tenor? Yuseef Lateef maybe? I don´t know. And no clue about the trumpetist.

8.- Good theme, one of my favorites in this BFT! Don´t know who this alto sax could be. The short melodic line is catchy, for sure!

9.- No clue on the vibraphonist. Hutcherson? Ayers? And I can´t recognize the pianist… how could I?

10.- Funny (and funky) groove! Invitation to dance. No clue, again!

11.- The song is “Nature boy” (Eden Ahbez). Guess I know that voice, but can´t bring a name!!! At first I thought it was Abbey Lincoln, but after comparing this track with some Abbey CDs on my collection, I conclude this couldn´t be her (though she included a version of this song in her 1994 Verve album “A turtle´s dream”).

12.- The piano player is very recognizable (even for somebody with closed ears like me). This is:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A9peb975jkrht (track 5)

Not a favorite among my discs by that pianist (I prefer him in smaller ensembles)

I´ll give the Bonus disc a listen and report on it. Thanks again, Jim!

Doesn't sound quite like what I've heard her do, but you never know.

I saw her in a club once with her own group and they were trying hard to sound like the Tony Williams quintet. She was doing a pretty good job of it on drums - strong arms and chops galore. It was lacking in originality, needless to say.

Here we go. ;)

Track 1 - Everytime I hear bass clarinet I think of Dolphy, I know it's wrong but it's still my guess.

Track 2 - Has the sounds of a more modern day piece, tenor seems might have been influenced by Joe Henderson.

Track 3 - Real nice tune, I enjoyed it very much. I don't know enough about organ players to take a stab at it, but the tenor on this one has to be that of Joe Henderson. No?

Track 4 - No idea

Track 5 - Had a funky middle east feel to it, is that Sonny Red on alto?

Track 6 - Another real funky one, I'm throwing out Richie Kamuca has a possibility on soprano, but don't hold me to it. :P

Track 7 - I liked this one very much, both trumpet and tenor have a real familiar sound but I can't place them.

Track 8 - This mother was really swingin', I think McCoy Tyner on piano, if Wayne Shorter ever played alto I think this is what it would be like. I've got no real guess, but I'll say James Spaulding.

Track 9 - A real cool feel to this one, could it be Hutcherson? I think the piano is that of Cedar Walton.

Track 10 - Have not got a clue, I'll say Herbie Mann on flute.

Track 11 - No ideas

Track 12 - Don't know the song or the band, the tenor might be Junior Cook.

Well I quickly splurged and grabbed the CD of track #1 from Half.com fo' cheep and once I scraped the spaghetti sauce off the cover and tossed it into the disc I must say this is some sawinging chit here. BUT!!! wait! WTF is with Don Byron...first I forgive him for taking "Out to Lunch" into some carny meets John Phillips Sousa (obviously left over from that Frisell piece o poo that he did with the send up to all sousaphones everywhere yadda yadda) and then he proceeds to just destroy "245/Les" with some off key ramblings that just make you wanna grab the thing and zing it as hard as you can into the brick fireplace, and now... oh yeah Bill Ware sez "Don what the hell ya doin' man" and proceeds to churn out some serious door-bell playing worthy of a Jehovah's Witness after too much Halloween candy and, whoa he tries to save the show and pretty much does but man I could go on as now Don is again going on with a far cry from any hommage to "Far Cry"... but I'm just on a rant and I had to tell someone cause no one here understands me... :(

Well you know Miss Ann is doing OK. She's just kinda sitting here squirming in her seat a ready at the vanity, applying a nice bit of foundation, Ehrlich-ing her face ala Sweet Baby Jane. Plucking a bit here and there. A nice bit of underwire help from Jerome, but that doesn't seem to do her justice. So she takes a couple of those Ray Andersons out of the drawer and gives them a go, a tucking and a boosting. Now everybody's trying to lace up the bones a bit tighter but her torso's going all over the place. I think Don is a bit awestruck himself by all of this as he plays her straight while looking on from the other room. Maybe it was the swat to his dreaded-up mensa-head that Marty gave him a while ago that set him out for once.

We know who can swing, baby, and it ain't always the guy who looks it!!

I've had some rather serious distractions that have kept me from posting my guesses/critiques/whatever. In case I don't get to it, let me say that I enjoyed every cut on both discs, recognize a few cuts, can concretely identify a few less, and had a blast listening. Thanks, Jim!

Got the discs this moring. Thanks very much, Jim.

Disc 1

1. Don Byron, I'd guess. I'm quite sure Reggie Washington (can be heard on many Steve Coleman recordings) is the bass player. Very enjoyable music, nice keyboard sounds.

2. Sounds a bit stiff. Don't know who, don't know when (early 80ies?).

3. I know nothing about organ players, no guess. Great track.

4. Must be Flora Purim with her husband. Very nice song.

5. A Klezmer Marching band? I have no clue.

6. Leaves me cold. Branford Marsalis, Jeff "Tain" Watts come to mind.

7. Got this last week, otherwise I probably wouldn't have recognized it. Track #2

8. Energetic alto saxophone playing, like it - don't know who. Piano reminds of Tyner but I don't think it's him.

9. No idea. Nice mood music.

10. Pharoah Sanders. Bill Henderson piano?

11. The vocals are not my cup of tea. The song is Nature Boy. Horns and drums sound somewhat buried here.

12. McCoy Tyner Big Band. Great stuff, great energy.

A very enjoyable compilation. Will listen to the bonus disc tomorrow morning.

Checking in very late here, for a variety of reasons (one of which is that these discs stumped my ass). I'm going to be brief, because I struggled with most of this, and I'm sure a lot of answers (or hot leads) have already taken place. I haven't really finished listening to Disc 2, but I think I'll have to bail on that anyway, so...

Disc 1:

track 4 - Reminds me of Flora Purim. I know I've heard this before, but it's been awhile.

track 9- The piano/vibes combination made me think immediately of a particular pair, and lucky for me it was the right one. I have this recording (it's on Blue Note), and this pianist has appeared on BF tests before. This was (hands down) my favorite track on this test.

track 11 - Obviously it's "Nature Boy", but I don't recognize the singer (and don't care for her style).

track 12 - I've heard this on KCSM so many times (it was used as a theme for one of their shows, I think). I should know the title, but I don't. I think it's McCoy Tyner's big band.

Now to go read this thread and see if I can add anything else to the discussion.

Thanks, "Da da"! :)

The track 11 vocalist is definitely not Abbey Lincoln. The way she plays with the time might be somewhat in Abbey's bag in some ways, but the sound of the voice just isn't Abbey, who has a lot more character and texture, I think. Tonally, this vocalist reminded me of Cassandra Wilson at first, but I haven't really familiarized myself with Wilson (don't dig her, from what I've heard).

Edit: Now that I've gotten through the whole thread, I see Mike has come up with an answer. I've heard about that singer, but heard very little of her. I wonder if this arrangement was out (or even way out) of character for her...

Edited by Jim R

It has been so hard not to look at this thread while I found the time to write up my thoughts. Overall, I LOVE this cd! I don’t know any of the tracks, but a lot of them are going to go on my ‘to get’ list. So here goes:

1. Awesome track that made me smile. I love this great combination of scripted/improv. Has a Mingus-like quality, so even though I’ve never heard anything by them, I’ll guess it’s Mingus Big Band. Definitely a purchase!

2. Tight group, very entertaining interplay between all members. No idea who it is.

3. Larry Young? Enjoyable piece, I like the organ.

4. Great song, sounds like Nigerian 70’s funk. I’ll be picking this one up, if it’s still in print.

5. Fun tune with Eastern European-ish, Hava Nagila-ish feel to it.

6. Straight-ahead jazz which, while I feel I should like it, doesn’t completely do it for me. I think if I heard this song outside of this cd, I’d like it, but it’s almost boring compared to some of the other songs on here. Probably sacrilege, I know.

7. See above.

8. Hooray for Hollywood! It’s ok, very listenable, but not knocking me out.

9. This one has grown on me with a few listens.

10. Catchy enough tune, but a little boring. I’ll be hearing that two-bar melody in my sleep.

11. Sting’s mom?

12. Great ending to this BFT. No idea who it is, but I’ll be looking for this one. I’ve discovered how much I like the big, orchestral settings. I don’t often hear them on the same cd as trios and small groups, so they really stick out, in a good way.

This is just what I was hoping for in the BFT; exposure to music I really like that I’ve never heard before. I’m very anxious to read everyone’s comments and find out what these songs are!

11. Sting’s mom?

My favorite comment to date! :lol:

If anyone signed up and has not yet received a disc, please let me know. I don't plan on posting any answers for another week or so. Most likely March 24th, so there is still plenty of time.

I'm very happy everyone is enjoying the music. This has really been a great experience. :tup:tup:tup

I've received Jim Dye's BFT a couple of days ago, and I've been enjoying it immensely ever since. Thanks Jim!

It took most of my will power NOT to pick on the other's comments. (Now I don't have enough will power left to resist those alluring Mosaic sets...)

OK, here goes:

1. A great start for the compilation. LOVE this one. It's a Dolphy cover, which is always fun to listen. Clarinet/Bass Clarinet solos are v.good. Bone playing is excellent. I'm pretty sure it's Ray Anderson. As for the Clarinet guy - I'd guess M.Ehrlich. NEED THIS ALBUM!

2. What a smooth transition from the 1st track! A nice one, but no idea who it is. Joe Farrell maybe?

3. Sounds like Larry Young to me. I never heard it before. Any Young hidden treasures around?

4. Didn't do much for me. Don't like those 70s kybrs/synths. Those guys heard a lot of Return to Forever!

5. GREAT TRACK! LOVE IT! A Balkan tune with a crazy bit. That Bass Sax is great! NEED THAT ALBUM!

6. Sounds like a 90s think. One of those young lions that sound like a reincarnation of the Blue Note tradition. Don't know who it is. This one left me cold.

7. Another great track. A lot of fun of this blues. The unfamiliar instrument coupled with the tenor playing made me think of Yusef Lateef. Live at Pep's?

8. A traditional alto (a hard bop tradition, that is. The guy heard a lot of Bu) of the late 80s-90s. No idea who it is. Bobby Watson, maybe?

9. A pretty tune. Almost too pretty. The vibes-piano combo is very unregular. I won't take a guess on this one.

10. Like this one, but don't know who the guys are.

11. Nature Boy. A nice interpretation. No clue.

12. That's McCoy Tyner's Big Band. Love this tune. A great ending to a great compilation.

Thanks Jim!!

The weirdest thing. I listened to both disks in the car on my way to work today, and had a portable tape recorder that I used to pick up what I thought about the music as it was playing along, so I wouldn't forget later. The damn thing wouldn't play, probably froze while sitting in the car all day. :rsly:

Just got it going -

Disk 1

1. No idea of the soloist. Khan Jamal on vibes?

2. This tenor listened to a lot of Coltrane.

3. Sounds like one of those "Organ Blue Notes". John Patton?

4. Return to Forever. Flora Purim.

5. No idea who that is, but I like it!

6. No idea.

7. Olden-time tenor style. Jimmy Forest? [one in a million shot] :blink:

8. No idea.

9. This sounds like a Paul Horn composition without Paul Horn playing. Or a Jack Wilson ca.1968. West Coast?

10. No idea.

11. Cassandra Wilson - Nature Boy

12. No idea.

Disk2

1. Awesome! No idea who this is.

2. No idea. Reminiscent of Randy Weston's African Cookbook. I like it.

3. Crazy shit.

Edited by Dmitry