Jim Hall

Sundog

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

It's always the little things that blow me away about a "Jim Hall" performance.

Yes, especially that little bit of comping he does in the interlude between Desmond's and his own solo on "Bossa Antigua." I love moments like that!

Desmond and Hall were great together!

I haven't read the whole thread but just on the whole Jim Hall comping thing, count me in as one who loves it, if you want to hear it at what is, in my opinion anyway, it's best, check out his work with Giuffre, especially "The Western Suite". I don't know if it's the extra responsibility of being the only "traditional" rhythm instrument in the group but he really puts in a shift, with unpaid overtime, on "The Western Suite". :tup :tup :tup

I really want to check out the Giuffre albums, but they're gonna have to wait until I resolve this negative cash flow situation. I imagine that material is beautiful.

If you can only get one, get "The Western Suite", it's maybe the best of all the Giuffre "3" albums with Hall, but there's not much to choose between any of them, they're all excellent. It took a bit of time for this music to sink in, with me any way, but when it did you find yourself wondering why more of a big deal isn't made about it. The versions of "Blue Monk" and "Topsy" are so enjoyable, especially "Blue Monk", I love what Hall does on this in particular, it sounds like nothing special but it's just so perfect.

I agree, Cliff. The whole of 'The Western Suite' is marvellous - wonderfully understated guitar that still grabs your attention.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Hall un-plugged for most of the album? It certainly sounds that way. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Possibly - certainly seems very quiet.

A bizarre connection - and one I've mentioned before - but when I first heard this record two or three years back it immediately put me in mind of the long, quiet freely improvised section in the middle of "Moonchild" on King Crimson's 'In the Court of the Crimson King'. I wonder if Fripp knew this record or Hall's recordings around that time. There's a quote from 'Surrey on the Fringe on Top' that would suggest the young Fripp had been listening to more than rock.

this morning, I'm enjoying this:

JimHallWhereWouldIBe.jpg

Jim Hall ...Where Would I Be?

AAAARGGHHHH!!! WHY did I open this thread? WHY did I go to Rhapsody and queue this up? WHEN am I ever gonna learn????

7/4, between this and all your "Listening to " notes on FaceBook, I'm either gonna have to unfriend you or get a second job!!! :lol:

• 6 years later...

The postman just delivered from CDJapan two obscure Jim Hall CDs from one of his great periods.  They were both recorded in Japan in Fall 1976, both with Don Thompson and Terry Clarke.  They are "Live In Tokyo" (with a great cover reminiscent of Grant Green's "Gooden's Corner") and "Jazz Impressions Of Japan" (which actually says on it "Caution: This CD is only for sale in Japan").  Both on King Records.  I had been looking for these for such a long time.  Snap them up if you can!

Live+in+Tokyo.jpg

510pW97h90L.jpg

mjzee and jhoots -- please post your impressions of those two releases!

I've eyed them for a long time too.  But I'd love to hear some first-hand reactions to the music.

EDIT:
Just found "Billie's Bounce" from Live in Tokyo on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNl9yi0fksk 

Edited by HutchFan

15 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

mjzee and jhoots -- please post your impressions of those two releases!

I've eyed them for a long time too.  But I'd love to hear some first-hand reactions to the music.

I've had Live In Tokyo for many years on a cassette dub.  It's everything you could imagine from this trio: supple, deep groove, melodic, but with a bite.  The tunes are great: Billie's Bounce, Secret Love, Concierto, Chelsea Bridge, and St. Thomas, plus an original (Twister).  I've only heard the other, Jazz Impressions Of Japan, once, about 20 years ago.  I remember it being more delicate and pristine, like a thin lace cookie.  I'll let you know more when I listen to it again.

Edited by mjzee

2 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I've had Live In Tokyo for many years on a cassette dub.  It's everything you could imagine from this trio: supple, deep groove, melodic, but with a bite.  The tunes are great: Billie's Bounce, Secret Love, Concierto, Chelsea Bridge, and St. Thomas.  I've only heard the other, Jazz Impressions Of Japan, once, about 20 years ago.  I remember it being more delicate and pristine, like a thin lace cookie.  I'll let you know more when I listen to it again.

Thanks!!! :tup 

Just finished listening to Jazz Impressions Of Japan.  Definitely more bite to it than I remembered!  Those 3 guys are playing like a well-oiled machine.  Such interplay.  They're just monsters on their instruments.  Sound quality is excellent, pristine.  Some interesting notes: Don Thompson plays piano on one cut.  All compositions are originals: Jim Hall has 6, Don Thompson 1, and 1 is credited to all 3.  I think this not relying on standards allows them to really cut loose.  Really, I'd jump on this if you can.  Cheap, too: 1300 yen!