What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, soulpope said:

This debut album was a  masterpiece .... btw the rhythm backbone Ron Carter + Pretty Purdie rules ....

I agree with the sentiment, but this wasn't his debut album.

I saw Jackson Browne in the fall of 1976 while I was in grad school. It was a fun show, though I never acquired any of Browne's LPs. Orleans was also on the bill, entertaining, though not anything I would have purchased. I've forgot the name of the terrible funk band that opened the show, but after one instrumental, they introduced a white female singer (announced as a Columbia recording artist who was so terrible she made them look good).

The one rock LP I got sick of hearing was Heart's Dreamboat Annie, which a dorm neighbor played constantly. I resorted to drowning him out with Anthony Newman playing Wagner on pipe organ.

I can't think of any album that I ever got sick of playing but there is a song I never want to hear again. I had a friend who had a car 8-track player. We went out in it all the time in high school. It broke and got stuck with The Doors debut LP on track 4, which was the song "The End". Even the radio wouldn't work. I must've heard that song 50 times one summer. It got to the point where Morrison would sing, "This is the end" & everyone in the car would yell, "PLEASE BE THE END". :)

I finally got it off that track one time by hitting the player right as it was supposed to switch back to track 1. It took a lot of tries but I finally did it. We got that tape out and we never put another tape in.

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Jackson Browne - Running On Empty (Asylum). Listening to the 5.1 mix off of the DVD-Audio disc. Nicely done surround, especially on the live tunes.

Primary

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

One of my brothers played that album so many times over and over I can just look at the cover and I'm good. ;)

Funny.  I had Running on Empty on cassette tape back in the day.  I wore that thing out!  I guess I'm like your brother, jazzbo.  ;)  

Still love that album.

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I saw Jackson Browne in the fall of 1976 while I was in grad school. It was a fun show, though I never acquired any of Browne's LPs. Orleans was also on the bill, entertaining, though not anything I would have purchased. I've forgot the name of the terrible funk band that opened the show, but after one instrumental, they introduced a white female singer (announced as a Columbia recording artist who was so terrible she made them look good).

The one rock LP I got sick of hearing was Heart's Dreamboat Annie, which a dorm neighbor played constantly. I resorted to drowning him out with Anthony Newman playing Wagner on pipe organ.

Not sure about this, but it looks like Valerie Carter did support on at least some of the Browne/Orleans shows in 1976.  Maybe she was who you saw.

If that's who it was, Browne wrote a song about her ("That Girl Could Sing"), as did Steve Winwood ("Valerie").

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Funny.  I had Running on Empty on cassette tape back in the day.  I wore that thing out!  I guess I'm like your brother, jazzbo.  ;)  

Still love that album.

It's easy for me to get tired of pop or rock music that I just sort of love. That one and Dark Side of the Moon I never need to hear again!

My brother used to (and in a way still does) play the same music over and over for months. . . and then move on to another to obsess about. Currently he's nuts about Jason Isbell--will get his new album and play it incessantly til the next one arrives, rinse and repeat.

My other brother is a jazz and classical music fan.

19 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Not sure about this, but it looks like Valerie Carter did support on at least some of the Browne/Orleans shows in 1976.  Maybe she was who you saw.

If that's who it was, Browne wrote a song about her ("That Girl Could Sing"), as did Steve Winwood ("Valerie").

If it was Valerie Carter, she was the pits, as was the equally forgettable funk band backing her. When I was going to rock shows, rarely did I care for the opening acts.