What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For fans of pub rock, just released:

Brinsley Schwarz: Thinking Back – The Anthology 1970-1975, 7CD Box Set
Brinsley Schwarz

£37.99

• Comprehensive 7CD clamshell box set that contains all of the original six albums as well as the ‘It’s All Over Now’ album that was recorded in 1975 but not released until 1988.

• Also included are unreleased tracks from the Warner vaults as well as live recordings and rarities from band member Ian Gomm who is also providing a mass of rare/unseen images from his archive as well as contributing to the sleeve notes.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/brinsley-schwarz-thinking-back-the-anthology-1970-1975-7cd-box-set/?fbclid=IwAR1xe8dNUjeK_uyIeBFy_otHsq9-YhTSnYqjYFajH733LqF1GkK7nVfA03A_aem_AfDwATlpQr2pINRsKEHFTb1OuGvzNnZbMnkhCdbEZ_oK9fq2W96XVGLQXYPZ5e5wlPs&utm_source=Facebook_Mobile_Feed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(24.11) Brinsley Schwartz - Thinking Back (The Anthology 1970-1975) - All Placements - CPA [AU%2C CA%2C US%2C EU]&utm_content=Cherry Red Remarketing

Edited by EKE BBB

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Reading lots of positive responses to that set. I think it might be a bit too much of a good thing for me

It's a great set in every regard - music, remastering, packaging, price point.  As is the previous Auger/Trinity box on the same label.  This one is even better musically, though everyone should own 'Streetnoise' from the previous set.

Edited by felser

6 hours ago, felser said:

It's a great set in every regard - music, remastering, packaging, price point.  As is the previous Auger/Trinity box on the same label.  This one is even better musically, though everyone should own 'Streetnoise' from the previous set.

CD copies of this [Complete Oblivion] box seem weirdly scarce. I missed the opportunity (months ago) to preorder cheaply from importcds and now am having trouble finding it from reasonable sources.

[Added] CD version finally showed up at Amazon, but for about $10 more than the old importcds preorder (granted that might not have gotten filled). I may have to hold my nose and go the Amazon route.

Edited by T.D.

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

CD copies of this [Complete Oblivion] box seem weirdly scarce. I missed the opportunity (months ago) to preorder cheaply from importcds and now am having trouble finding it from reasonable sources.

[Added] CD version finally showed up at Amazon, but for about $10 more than the old importcds preorder (granted that might not have gotten filled). I may have to hold my nose and go the Amazon route.

That's what I did.  Importcds cancelled my preorder, so they were not going to honor that price anyways.  Still works out to about $7 a disc on Amazon, which the set is well worth.

I've been listening to Todd Rundgren with The Metropole Orchestra, an hour and a half concert, and was very impressed with him and the great arrangements the orchestra performed.

I think I might include something from him in my my big band rock project, since it's an orchestra not a big band. "Hello, It's Me" has the most jazz content, so I can most easily steal- I mean incorporate, some of that arrangement for BB.

His voice is not the same as it was of course, and its ponderousness can get unpleasant often, except on a masterpiece like "Mammon" where it fits perfectly in a frightening, powerful performance.

A lot of his music ventures into musical theater, and having just completed a two week gig playing "Footloose", I could do without that, but his music is on a higher level than that. Like Scott Walker, he does a fantastic job of singing with just the strings, and showed what a great musician he is by being perfect in pitch and time. He knew the charts backward and forward, and even performed Onomatopoeia twice in a row, because he felt the first time wasn't fast enough!

The second release by this late 70's Prog super group, U.K.. Not sure how widely it was recognized in the U.S., but 5 of the 6 tracks are well crafted prog-pop tunes with excellent vocals by John Wetton. Sadly the 6th track is a 12 minute prog snoozer. They could have done better ... Oh, well!

Primary

Edited by BFrank

Much better than you think it is.  Vee was a talent, constrained by his record company and the times.  He is very convincing on this type of material, which was his first love.  Remember he was only 17 when he started having those massive hits on Liberty, and he revisited Holly's style and material periodically through the 60's.

image.jpeg.64d83d90726473aed35aa3e311496933.jpeg