What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

Is this because of the recently published Geddy Lee autobiography?  It sounds really interesting to me and I'm not even a Rush  fan.

Yes.  I was a huge Rush fan in high school and college.  So I recently picked up Geddy's book, and I've really been enjoying it.  It's also prompted me to go back to their music.  And I'm loving it (still).   :) 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NS02NjEzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Rush's final studio album from 2012.  It's a slammin' HARD ROCK record, as much metal as it's prog. 

The band was very proud of it. They felt they'd made a record that compares favorably with their late-70s and early-80s classics.  . . . And then it turned out to be their last.

Edited by HutchFan

On 12/21/2023 at 8:05 PM, medjuck said:

Is this because of the recently published Geddy Lee autobiography?  It sounds really interesting to me and I'm not even a Rush  fan.

No, just a recurring thing with me.  😄 I was a huge Rush fan as a kid and actually got to see them on the Moving Pictures tour in 1981.  Michael Chabon recently touted that Geddy Lee book, which has piqued my interest in it.

13 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'm on a Rush bender today:

715ykeQAYcL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Potent and wonderfully strange music -- plus that superb cover image.  Along with Hemispheres, this is Rush at their early best.

Also:

41Qw8Fbm5vL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

and

71VIXWmaPHL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

I remember 'Farewell To Kings' being released and everyone just loving it. I still hold out for '2112' but only because it was my entry point. I bet 'Farewell...' stands up better these days, less interplanetary silliness and capes 😃.   

The other two I don't know as I'd left Rush behind by then

Just now, mjazzg said:

I remember 'Farewell To Kings' being released and everyone just loving it. I still hold out for '2112' but only because it was my entry point. I bet 'Farewell...' stands up better these days, less interplanetary silliness and capes 😃.   

The other two I don't know as I'd left Rush behind by then

There was what must be an apocryphal story of one of the Brit HM bands, Motorhead or Saxon or similar supporting Rush and when the dry ice was at its most voluminous during the Rush set they crept onstage and placed a pair of fluffy slippers in front of Lee and Lifeson...would love for it to be true

Maybe it was true after all

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/rush-song-they-were-mocked-for-performing/

"To fit in with the styles they were singing about, Rush decided to try out different kimonos, thinking that it would work well with their fanbase. While on tour with the hard rock outfit UFO, Geddy Lee would recall getting relentlessly teased for their choice of wardrobe, recalling in Beyond the Lighted Stage, “[UFO] would call me ‘Glee’. I would go out onstage, and there would be a pair of fuzzy white slippers nailed to the stage. And I’d hear, ‘That goes perfect with your robe, Glee" 

UFO, saw them a few times

17 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

There was what must be an apocryphal story of one of the Brit HM bands, Motorhead or Saxon or similar supporting Rush and when the dry ice was at its most voluminous during the Rush set they crept onstage and placed a pair of fluffy slippers in front of Lee and Lifeson...would love for it to be true

Maybe it was true after all

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/rush-song-they-were-mocked-for-performing/

"To fit in with the styles they were singing about, Rush decided to try out different kimonos, thinking that it would work well with their fanbase. While on tour with the hard rock outfit UFO, Geddy Lee would recall getting relentlessly teased for their choice of wardrobe, recalling in Beyond the Lighted Stage, “[UFO] would call me ‘Glee’. I would go out onstage, and there would be a pair of fuzzy white slippers nailed to the stage. And I’d hear, ‘That goes perfect with your robe, Glee" 

UFO, saw them a few times

Ha, ha, ha!   Terrific story! 

In his book, Geddy talks about how they cringe when they look back on some of their "fashion" choices.  :D