What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, BFrank said:

How's the audio on that?

60's live concert standard.  Not bootleg quality, but not great either.  Maybe 7 on a 1-10 scale.  The DVD is B&W, but well-shot, and is the major draw for me.

Edited by felser

15 hours ago, felser said:

60's live concert standard.  Not bootleg quality, but not great either.  Maybe 7 on a 1-10 scale.  The DVD is B&W, but well-shot, and is the major draw for me.

Thanks. Some of the early Colosseum recordings I've heard are not that great.

Still kickin' it with Rush:

NC02Mzc1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Rush - Power Windows (Mercury/Anthem, 1985)
I'm really enjoying this album, playing it repeatedly.  Since the cassette tape from my high schools days is long gone, I recently picked up the remastered CD.  The synth-heavy production is extremely 1980s -- and turned off many Rush fans back in the day because it didn't RAWK enough.  But, if one is willing to embrace it for what it is, there's some fantastic music here.  It's funny: In many ways, the passage of time has made it easier for me to hear this as music qua music rather than this-isn't-what-Rush-used-to-sound-like-but-I-guess-it'll-do music. . . .  So the music is still wriggling its way deeper into my noodle, and I'm appreciating it more than I ever have.  It's all very fun.

I remember seeing The Outlaws live in Springfeild, MA during their 1979 "Bring It Back Alive" tour, with them riding high on the FM hit of the 20 minute live version "Green Grass and High Tides", which we jokingly called "The DJ needs to take a dump". I am almost positive that the show I saw had Nantucket/Molly Hatchet/The Outlaws but history seems to drop Nantucket from that show's listing (although The Outlaws had Nantucket on the bill during concerts right around then). I seem to remember the crowd booing Nantucket off the stage so maybe that's why they've been forgotten. :) I don't think it was their fault though. The stage was clearly not set up for them and we could barely hear them.

But that show closed with The Outlaws doing "Green Grass and High Tides", with all of the band on guitars at the front of the stage by the end. It was one of the most exhilarating endings out of all of the live shows I ever saw.

The LP doesn't hit the highs of that live show, but it comes close.

Now spinning on vinyl, The Outlaws "Bring It Back Alive" (Arista).

image.jpeg.c3c387860479d514bea182d0adf19608.jpeg

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

An excellent compilation.

This is a compilation of 2 previous compilations - Retrospective I & II, that cover their albums from '74 to '87.  

Retrospective III is a good addition to those for Rush material from '89 to '08.

81Tt-aOSvWL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Edited by Aggie87

20 hours ago, BFrank said:

Just cuz sometimes you have to listen to BOC. Nice live album, BTW.

50th Anniversary Live - First Night

I like that Albert Bouchard is on this recording!  It is a good album for sure - plus there are two more to come, covering nights 2 and 3 from the residency.

1 hour ago, Aggie87 said:

I like that Albert Bouchard is on this recording!  It is a good album for sure - plus there are two more to come, covering nights 2 and 3 from the residency.

Great! Didn't know that. I like hearing the "new" songs from "The Symbol Remains," which was much better than anyone could have expected.