What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

7 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

While I typically do not listen to today's "rock" music, I am spinning The Beach Boys' Sail on Sailor box set, focused on the Holland/Carl and the Passions era.  One of my favorite periods, in part because the Bruce wasn't there.

Bruce Johnston?  How does his absence improve things?  Truly curious.  The period you mention was the last time I found the Beach Boys interesting as a current rather than retro group, though I'll take Sunflower and Surf's Up over those two.  But "Sail On Sailor" is a magnificent song/recording.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

He is listed as one of the five - yes, five - writers of "Sail On, Sailor."  He also did a string arrangement on one track, and is credited with being an auxiliary musician.

Thanks. He was a jazz musician before he went to LA and got into the studio scene. The first time Bob Bruno met him, he was selling nude pictures of his Black girlfriend on the streets! They formed a jazz duo together where they would switch back and forth from piano to upright bass. Tandyn started a fight with some record company executives in the parking lot, and wound up in Wash.  DC. Five songwriters on one tune. Van Dyke Parks was in there, too.

16 hours ago, felser said:

Bruce Johnston?  How does his absence improve things?  Truly curious.  The period you mention was the last time I found the Beach Boys interesting as a current rather than retro group, though I'll take Sunflower and Surf's Up over those two.  But "Sail On Sailor" is a magnificent song/recording.

I personally do not care for Bruce's songs, and his voice did not blend as well with the others.  I share your enthusiasm for most of Sunflower and most of Surf's Up.

36 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Classic Hugh Syme Cover Art, which bears certain links to Storm Thorgerson ....

I can see that. 

Speaking of Thorgerson, I recently watched an excellent documentary about him & "Po" Powell, Squaring the Circle: The Story of Hipgnosis. Given your appreciation for album cover art, I bet you've already seen it.  If not, it's well worth a look.

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I can see that. 

Speaking of Thorgerson, I recently watched an excellent documentary about him & "Po" Powell, Squaring the Circle: The Story of Hipgnosis. Given your appreciation for album cover art, I bet you've already seen it.  If not, it's well worth a look.

Yep, saw it via Netflix ....

36 minutes ago, felser said:

Their best album and a highlight of the entire Paisley Underground movement, the last rock sub-genre that truly grabbed me:

image.jpeg.34933a1a5af31cd8550604c1f5d75688.jpeg

Me too. Saw Green On Red several times in London, always a great show

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

R-7819232-1449440288-1133.jpg

Van Morrison`s last great album .... at least for me ....

And for me too, and a truly marvellous album it is too

Poetic Champions and Enlightenment were ok but slim pickings from then on I'm afraid, the lyrics became uninspired and often cantankerous and the music became more and more run of the mill. A few highlights here and there.

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

And for me too, and a truly marvellous album it is too

Poetic Champions and Enlightenment were ok but slim pickings from then on I'm afraid, the lyrics became uninspired and often cantankerous and the music became more and more run of the mill. A few highlights here and there.

Yep .... and seemingly the decreasing quality went hand in hand with a change of personality .... 

ab67616d0000b2734a75424dfa53ee6c911f72fa

Recorded @ Muscle Shoals Sound Studios in 1972 .... superb studio musicians +  the cream of songwriters like Dan Penn, Homer Banks, Ernie Shelby and Prince Phillip Mitchell on board and ultra soulful vocal execution .... a top Stax Album from the 70`s ....