Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

Soulstation1

I have 3 versions of KOB, the SACD (single layer disc released in 1999), the Mastersound goid CD (which I keep for the color photos in the booklet) and the one included in the Miles & Coltrane Columbia box set.

My favourite track is - not surprisingly - "So what". But my favourite version of "So what" is the one played in the TV show of the same year.

Edited by Claude

I have it on an LP bought in 1977. Then I bought a CD version in the mid 90s. A few years back I replaced it with the single disc remastered version with the second 'Flamenco Sketches' version.

I love the whole album...still my desert island disc.

I find it hard to choose between 'Blue in Green' and 'Flamenco Sketches'. My choice of those two says a fair bit about my musical taste!

Remastered CD version from a few years back, an SACD hybrid version that's a couple of years old, the version included in the Miles/Coltrane Box, and a Classic Records 200g LP version.

Probably may favorite song is So What. However, I pretty much always listen to this album in it's entirety. It just flows together so well. I view it as one big, beautiful piece of music. A "symphonette" if you will.

I'm torn between "All Blues" and "Freddie the Freeloader." I have an lp copy (which is not pitch correct) that I wore out in the seventies, I have the gold US cd, I have a DSD Sony jewel case version, and I have the box set version. . . . I listen to the DSD Sony most. Amazing sound!

I have the gold Sony Mastersound edition and the 1997 version with the bonus track. I keep them both in a double CD jewel box, and listen to them alternately. Between the two, I like the gold disc a bit better because I think it has a "mellower" sound (I could just be fooling myself, of course). I like having the alternate take of "Flamenco Sketches," of course. As to my favorite track, it varies. At the moment, I'd say that it's "All Blues," but that just might be because I have Oscar Brown's vocal version stuck in my head right now.

Gave away the '97 cd to someone; hoping to turn them on to jazz.

I've got the MC SACD (umm, there is no hybrid version of this SACD, as mentioned above). The Miles/Trane box.

My favorite? The SACD, of course. I like different things about the stereo and multichannel mixes.

"Blue In Green" is my favorite. What a mood! If you could bottle that, that'd be a big seller.

Damn Miles, stealing credit for Bill Evans' tune...

P.S. Am I the only one that thinks that "Flamenco Sketches" is a ripoff of "Peace Piece"? <_<

I have the 1980s-issued Columbia CD. I've been meaning to replace it with the remastered 20-bit Columbia CD, then give my older copy to a friend. I believe the remastered version of Kind of Blue is on sale at Border's for $8.99 this month.

I find myself not listening to Kind of Blue as much as I did, once upon a time. So, have not been too determined to buy the new copy.

I was drawn to Kind of Blue, about 20 years ago, due to hearing All Blues from my Dad's orignal LP that he purchased while in college. I discovered Brubeck's Time Out at the same time and from the same collection of my Dad's college LPs.

Edited by wesbed

(umm, there is no hybrid version of this SACD, as mentioned above).

Sony has silently replaced some early single layer SACDs by hybrid versions. On the jazz side, KOB, Time Out and Headhunters have been released a few weeks ago. It could be that they are not yet available in the US.

KOB single layer

KOB hybrid

Edited by Claude