This or That?

HutchFan

47 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

I consider Hardman a very fine and serious player, at the same level as Hubbard and Morgan. All 3 have their really fine moments, and sometimes the level drops a bit for each of them.  

Blue Mitchell is another top player who may be perhaps just a hair below those 3?

Walter Davis Jr.  he swings far more that Tucker

Sonny Red Kyner -  more soulful than Jenkins

Sal Nistico  -  Tubby Hayes plays a lot of notes very fast, but lacks the depth I hear in Nistico's tenor work.

Milt Jackson. or Cal Tjader

Pete Jolly. or Lou Levy

Harold Mabern   or. John Hicks

Illinois Jacquet   or.  Arnett Cobb

Milt

Levy (though I enjoy Jolly)

Hicks

Jacquet (though I enjoy Cobb)

29 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Move Your Hand v. GG Alive! (at the Cliché Lounge) is hard, both for their virtues and their faults, I'll take the recordings from the Club Mozambique in Detroit by either over either of those though, if that makes any sense.  Better jazz and better funk.  All lovely records that I enjoy.  But things go to heck for me pretty soon after.

Cuber libre!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Junior Mance  or. Ray Bryant

Junior Mance

10 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Ben Webster   or. Budd Johnson

Ben Webster

10 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Mickey Tucker or Walter Davis Jr.

Walter Davis Jr

16 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Jimmy Raney or Tal Farlow

Jimmy Raney

9 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Sal Nistico or Tubby Hayes

A tie - love both!

9 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Pete Jolly. or Lou Levy

Milt Jackson

Pete Jolly (and don't forget Russ Freeman)

Harold Mabern

Illinois Jacquet

25 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band.

Hank Jones or Tommy Flanagan?

Thad Jones & Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra

Hank Jones - Tommy Flanagan  -  a tie for two of my all time favorite jazz pianists

Richard Wyands  or   Duke Pearson  (as pianists)

Elmo Hope   or   Duke Jordan

32 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

George Garzone or that other Boston-area veteran tenor saxophone harmonic systematizer whose name I can't recall ... help me out here.

Larry - are you thinking of Jerry Bergonzi ?  He's at the NEC.

26 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Duke Jordan for me.  I like the way he glides.

On 8/21/2021 at 0:55 PM, BillF said:

Melissa Aldana or Nicole Glover?

Had to do some research on this one. I'm familiar with Aldana but not Glover...so off to bandcamp for some listening. Not digging in on a position at the moment but right now I'd go with Glover. Hoping to hear more from each of them that's not so much in that warmed over neo hard bop vein, at least from the studio. 

If anyone's interested, this link takes you to some recordings done by Glover last month (songs 5 & 8 on tenor, song 10 on soprano and for me I enjoyed her tenor playing more): https://arthirahara.bandcamp.com/album/open-sky

Aldana's latest: https://melissaaldana.bandcamp.com/

Chicago Sun Ra or NYC Sun Ra?

Edited by Dub Modal

12 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Chicago Sun Ra or NYC Sun Ra?

New York for me. Atlantis, Heliocentric, Vol. 1 and Other Planes of There are three of my favourite records of all time. The Chicago stuff less so. My first experience of them was that they were just so normal (although I've come to see how unique they were since then - and certainly they were). 

Anyway: NYC Sun Ra or Philadelphia Sun Ra?

13 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Had to do some research on this one. I'm familiar with Aldana but not Glover...so off to bandcamp for some listening. Not digging in on a position at the moment but right now I'd go with Glover. Hoping to hear more from each of them that's not so much in that warmed over neo hard bop vein, at least from the studio. 

If anyone's interested, this link takes you to some recordings done by Glover last month (songs 5 & 8 on tenor, song 10 on soprano and for me I enjoyed her tenor playing more): https://arthirahara.bandcamp.com/album/open-sky

Aldana's latest: https://melissaaldana.bandcamp.com/

I know them, not from their recordings, but from their live performances at Smalls and Emmet's Place, both plentifully covered on YouTube.

On 8/21/2021 at 6:13 PM, Peter Friedman said:

Pete Jolly. or Lou Levy

Milt Jackson by far over Tjader, whose music I do enjoy. 

Hard to decide on Mabern or Hicks. Love them both. Looking over my collection and what I have of both, I'll go with Hicks by the slimmest of margins. 

Jacquet all day

2 minutes ago, BillF said:

I know them, not from their recordings, but from their live performances at Smalls and Emmet's Place, both plentifully covered on YouTube.

Glover's performances at Smalls (listening to one now) are what tilted my preference in her favor. 

Nubya Garcia or Muriel Grossman

Edited by Dub Modal

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Moses Boyd or Tom Skinner?

Both new for me so after doing some listening, going with Boyd but barely. 

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Anyway: NYC Sun Ra or Philadelphia Sun Ra?

NYC Ra but not by much. The more I listen to Ra, the more that NYC music appeals to me. 

18 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Hope, and that's not really all that close for me. 

1 hour ago, BillF said:

No preference? 

Enrico Rava or Tomasz Stanko

Edited by Dub Modal

10 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

NYC Ra but not by much. The more I listen to Ra, the more that NYC music appeals to me. 

I was pretty much a NY Ra guy, but lately have been revisiting Chicago Ra and getting just all kinds of illuminations there, both backwards and forwards.

But, you know, it's all good, even if the later you go into the Philly stuff, the more "comfy" I think it gets. Nothing wrong with that, and the lesson I take is that spirits are eternal, but bodies age, and the human mind has both components to deal with.

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I was pretty much a NY Ra guy, but lately have been revisiting Chicago Ra and getting just all kinds of illuminations there, both backwards and forwards.

Chicago Ra sometimes gets billed as the easy point of access, but I think it is actually the most expert-level of all his periods. 

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

But, you know, it's all good, even if the later you go into the Philly stuff, the more "comfy" I think it gets. Nothing wrong with that, and the lesson I take is that spirits are eternal, but bodies age, and the human mind has both components to deal with.

Indeed. And I love it all, but it's NYC by an edge for now.

13 minutes ago, BillF said:

Glover, though both firmly in the jazz tradition.

For sure. The live material from both is way beyond the studio stuff for me. 

14 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Jarrett's American or European Quartet?

One day maybe I'll be able to listen to Jarrett outside of Miles' band. Now is not that time however.  

2 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

For sure. The live material from both is way beyond the studio stuff for me. 

Me too. Live seems to be the way to hear today's NYC younger generation (e.g. Bruce Harris, Emmet Cohen Trio). I'm not hearing much in their admittedly sparse recordings.