Mingus at Ronnie Scott's

kh1958

None of you are in quite yet.

I saw the same blurb in Jazz Times, which means they must have received some press release from his holiness Zev or one of his minions.

In my naivete and excitement, I posted it on Facebook. Someone tagged his holiness and he responded to say that there were production delays and that my post should be taken down and then the person contacted via PM to ask me to take it down.

When did Zev buy Facebook? Will this post be taken down as well?

Nope.

After waiting 49 years, I can wait until year 50.

JazzTimes will have to re-print all its issues, I guess.

Live at Chateauvallon has a quartet version of this group (McPherson/Foster/Brooks) and it is quite excellent. Adding Bobby Jones is a plus for me.

16 minutes ago, bertrand said:

None of you are in quite yet.

I saw the same blurb in Jazz Times, which means they must have received some press release from his holiness Zev or one of his minions.

In my naivete and excitement, I posted it on Facebook. Someone tagged his holiness and he responded to say that there were production delays and that my post should be taken down and then the person contacted via PM to ask me to take it down.

When did Zev buy Facebook? Will this post be taken down as well?

I think I’m gonna share your post in FB. I also want to be scolded by either his Holiness or the Big Brother. 

😎😂😎

51 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Live at Chateauvallon has a quartet version of this group (McPherson/Foster/Brooks) and it is quite excellent. Adding Bobby Jones is a plus for me.

That math works for me, but adding Bobby Jones AND Jon Faddis, not so much.

I like Bobby Jones, but the weight of his playing is ultimately neutral for me. "Neutral" is not really what I like to get out of Mingusmusic.

21 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That math works for me, but adding Bobby Jones AND Jon Faddis, not so much.

I like Bobby Jones, but the weight of his playing is ultimately neutral for me. "Neutral" is not really what I like to get out of Mingusmusic.

I agree that Faddis quickly wore thin on the Carnegie Hall expanded reissue. Hopefully he will be better here. Whether he is or not is not going to quell my interest. It's a little documented different Mingus group (Foster on piano and Roy Brooks instead of Dannie). Plus at least one otherwise unrecorded composition (Mindreaders Convention in Milano, and I do recall reading a review of the engagement that raved about this composition). Faddis  is better than the guy on Mingus Moves but I still love that record. 

Edited by kh1958

I thought Jones played well enough with Mingus (though his albums as a leader do nothing for me).   Faddis isn't a big turnoff for me though he certainly isn't a plus..  Glad to have another Mingus group documented, especially with the mysterious Foster.

3 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Nope.

After waiting 49 years, I can wait until year 50.

JazzTimes will have to re-print all its issues, I guess.

Maybe I should try to find Chateauvallon.

Long time ago I heard Sue Mingus and her Revenge Records was planning to release this Ronnie Scott's recordings, but after all they didn't.  The 3-CD bootleg has been circulated since then.  Not bad, the sound quality is ok (some dropouts and clumsy edits are audible, I hope they fix them), sometimes exciting, but I think most of tunes are just too long (33 min of Orange Was The Color, 31 min of Mindreaders and 35min of Faubus, etc.)  And Jon Faddis is blowing rather aimlessly as usual.  Mindreaders In Milano (aka My Music Emission, I don't know which one is the correct title, I hope liner notes shed some light) is a small suite, a nice addition to the Mingus oeuvre, but I think the most memorable version of this tune is played by the (original) Mingus Big Band at Village Vanguard in Apr. 1972.  In both occasion Jon Foster shines.

Chateauvallon 1972 is an interesting document.  Fable of Faubus played in a quartet setting is quite refreshing.