Adele and Erroll Garner

medjuck

Has anyone mentioned that the new Adele release ("30") has a cut on it called "All Night Parking (with Erroll Garner) Interlude" that samples something relatively obscure -at least to me- by Garner?  This may make more money for the estate than any of the recent Garner releases. 

On 12/9/2021 at 0:08 PM, JSngry said:

And this is how jazz is going to survive in the future mass cultural consciousness, imo. "Memes", if you will, samples that get dropped into things that the really curious people will ferret out.

More people do that than you might think!

Well, this has been going on since the late 1980s.  I would argue that the biggest cultural splash that jazz has made since around 1980 occurred via sampling in rap and electronica records.  

and Jazz is just now figuring this out, being about 35 or so years behind the times being its cultural norm for the last 45+ years.

Actually, I remember calling this out a decade or more ago on this board and getting scoffed at about its importance, not real music, no creativity, the usual. Cheapens the music, ALL that.

Opinion stands still, time moves on, and here we all are. Memes are the new essay.

• 2 months later...

I didn’t realize till recently that Branford Marsalis is on Public Enemy’s “Fight The Power.” Apparently he recorded his solo specifically for that track, but it got me to thinking... have we ever had a thread for identifying jazz samples in hip-hop tracks? 

Edited by ghost of miles