Oscar nominations

Oscar nominations came out today, with a full slate of 10 nominated for Best Picture.  I have not seen any of the movies (though some sound interesting), and I'm really not much into movies generally--and Oscar-winning films specifically--in recent years.  The last Best Picture winner I saw was Green Book, which I thought was good--but probably not great.

Interesting to see West Side Story get a nomination.  It's not often that a winner is remade, and even rarer that the remake gets a nomination (Mutiny on the Bounty may be the only one previously).

54 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

There are still some good movies being made.

Yeah, but I sure miss seeing movies in actual theaters. Especially good movies. And quirky art house movies (the kind you can’t quite tell whether they’ll be good, or great! - or neither). And even a few documentaries here and there, yes, on the big screen.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

17 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Yeah, but I sure miss seeing movies in actual theaters. Especially good movies. And quirky art house movies (the kind you can’t quite tell whether they’ll be good, or great! - or neither). And even a few documentaries here and there, yes, on the big screen.

We saw Licorice Pizza & Parallel Mothers in "real" theaters. Admittedly many others we've streamed. 

55 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I don't miss  the sticky floors.

True. But I was so thankful I got to see Roma, for instance — about 3 years ago — in an actual theater.  It only played in like maybe 25 cities — and thankfully DC was one of them.

Absolutely gorgeous cinematography, and the black and white pallet was stunning — and a much more modern range of b&w shades than I think I’ve ever seen in any b&w film ever before.

But, yeah, sticky floors are awful.

On 2/8/2022 at 6:20 PM, jlhoots said:

There are still some good movies being made.

We don't live in a top 100 metro market, so some potentially good movies may never be shown in theatres, or are here for a cup of coffee before leaving. I have no interest in superheros, computer-generated films, remakes of older films (though there are exceptions when the remake exceeds the original film), or the usual crap that Hollywood releases these days. Tell a story with a good script, get a good cast and have a director who knows how to put it all together. Clint Eastwood and Ron Howard can do it, who else is worth the investment these days?

21 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

We don't live in a top 100 metro market, so some potentially good movies may never be shown in theatres, or are here for a cup of coffee before leaving. I have no interest in superheros, computer-generated films, remakes of older films (though there are exceptions when the remake exceeds the original film), or the usual crap that Hollywood releases these days. Tell a story with a good script, get a good cast and have a director who knows how to put it all together. Clint Eastwood and Ron Howard can do it, who else is worth the investment these days?

Jane Campion, Kenneth Branagh, Paul Thomas Anderson, Pedro Almodovar, Guillermo Del Toro to name 5. Not sure what you mean by "investment".

Eastwood & Howard are both "over the hill" IMHO.

Edited by jlhoots

• 2 weeks later...