John Coltrane - The Major Works of John Coltrane

Pim

I once bought this box for Om, Selflessness and Kulu Se Mama were hard to find. Listening to it today if really dislike the sound of it. McCoy Tyner’s piano sounds out of tune on Om and like a plastic one on Kulu Se Mama. The instruments sound out of balance or something like that. Are there more people with this 2cd set experiencing that?

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Two albums I really like but I know that's not a universally held view (felser, iirc?). :rolleyes:

Indeed, I can't stand "Om".  I do like "Kulu Se Mama".  I think this 2 CD set is basically obsolete at this point due to all the material being available in much better mastering in original form (individual CD's of "Ascension". "Kulu Se Mama", "Selflessness", "Om"), isn't it? 

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I’ve got it but I haven’t listened to it for years. Don’t recall any major issues with it but maybe I’ll dig it out for a spin.

If you have the time/opportunity please do! Because I am wondering if I am becoming an audiophile ass.... I really feel that Om and Kulu Se Mama sound bad on that one. Ive got Ascension in a better version so havent listened to that one. 

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Two albums I really like but I know that's not a universally held view (felser, iirc?). I have LPs so don't know the CD set which makes this contribution pretty pointless, sorry Pim :rolleyes:

I do like them too. No issues with the sound on the LP's? That is worthy information after all ;)

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

I remember it being discussed that the piano on OM was not the best.

Thanks Mike, do you remember if that was on all the versions or only the one on 'Major Works Of John Coltrane'?

1 hour ago, felser said:

Indeed, I can't stand "Om".  I do like "Kulu Se Mama".  I think this 2 CD set is basically obsolete at this point due to all the material being available in much better mastering in original form (individual CD's of "Ascension". "Kulu Se Mama", "Selflessness", "Om"), isn't it? 

I don't think OM was his strongest effort but I don't feel the disgust most people express for it. I still like it. You're second statement points out to me that it's time to get these sessions in better versions. But first I want to make sure it's really an issue with this particular version.

After some rooting through cupboards I found the set. ‘Ascension - Edition 1’ spinning now. Sounds OK so far, I remember buying this set in the early 90s and at the time these GRP Coltranes were just the job for me as most of my Coltrane vinyl was either UK 70s reissue or Jasmine pressings so it was a step up and I didn’t have Om or Kulu. My CD player these days is far better than the old kit so it may be ‘flattering’ the sound but so far so good. Perhaps a bit 2-dimensional in soundstage but that may be the recording - the detail is all there.

Some shortfalls noted in the dynamics and transients for ‘Ascension’ though, especially Elvin’s drums. CDs were to improve considerably in this respect in later years.

Edited by sidewinder

Giving ‘Om’ a spin now. I see what you mean about the piano - sounds beat up and out of tune. Probably related to the circumstances - this one was recorded at Jan Kurtis’s Lynwood home studio I think. Other than that, I don’t think it is too bad. Maybe sonically a bit muddy but that is probably a limitation of the recording facilities, perhaps.

Crazy stuff !

A noticeable bit of top-end roll-off on these GRPs which is impacting the drums and percussion I think. Difficult to know if it is a remastering issue or a limitation of these recordings.

Edited by sidewinder

Just now, jazzbo said:

I think it's the mastering; I've moved on to Japanese 21st century releases of these titles which sound a bit clearer and a bit more dynamic to me.

Yeah, definite shortfalls in the dynamics noticeable here. Having said that, I can live with this version I think - better than expected given the vintage.

I dutifully bought all this stuff in the 60s, and later, on CDs. We were told that jazz must progress, progress, progress. But really, to me now, the last two years of Trane, some of it with Pharaoh Sanders, is just a damn noise, fueled by drugs. And the group with Alice and that new drummer is beatless and, at best, boring.

Give me Trane with Red Garland. That is amazingly beautiful. And Side 1 of "Live At The Village Vanguard", and the Impulse stuff up to "Crescent". After that, bye bye. I am not intimidated any more.

Edited by Shrdlu

2 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

I dutifully bought all this stuff in the 60s, and later, on CDs. We were told that jazz must progress, progress, progress. But really, to me now, the last two years of Trane, some of it with Pharaoh Sanders, is just a damn noise, fueled by drugs. And the group with Alice and that new drummer is beatless and, at best, boring.

Give me Trane with Red Garland. That is amazingly beautiful. And Side 1 of "Live At The Village Vanguard", and the Impulse stuff up to "Crescent". After that, bye bye. I am not intimidated any more.

Damn noise fueled by drugs… Come on man it might not be your style but there’s no need for such an ignorant and insulting statement.

11 hours ago, Pim said:

Damn noise fueled by drugs… Come on man it might not be your style but there’s no need for such an ignorant and insulting statement.

There was a similar statement from Shrdlu some years back about Cotrane's religios interests.

Shrdlu: You can say you dislike it, but, please, without putting it down. Be respectful. There is no "duty" to like it, just because it's Coltrane.

Edited by mikeweil