TTK Revisits The Notorious Byrd Brothers

Teasing the Korean

On 3/12/2022 at 6:02 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Chronological SUCKS, which is why TTK does not support Mosaic.

There is an art to sequencing an album. 

But I appreciate your reading my post!  :tup

And I agree, they are no longer the Byrds after the first five albums - six, if you count Preflyte.  After that, they become sweaty hippies using the name The Byrds

"There is an art to sequencing an album". 

"The last time I heard that remark, a famous jazz trumpet player was sequencing the order of songs in a CD I made in 2004.

When he got done with it, even I didn't want to listen to it! LOL!

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, felser said:

I appreciate the author's apparent desire to capture the vibe but there are a ton of factual errors in this review. But like the author says: who cares? Does it matter that Roger McGuinn wasn't a Christian during this time and that the name Roger was a variation of the word "raja" which was part of the Subud religion of which he was a part? Probably not. Does it matter that the entire essay was written by someone who wasn't there but thinks he was because he's read about that time? In the grand scheme of things, no. But revisionist history is just that and it rarely stays contained to just one area.

But then, what do I know? I was born in 1970, so it could very well be that I'm just as full of BS.

57 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I appreciate the author's apparent desire to capture the vibe but there are a ton of factual errors in this review. But like the author says: who cares? Does it matter that Roger McGuinn wasn't a Christian during this time and that the name Roger was a variation of the word "raja" which was part of the Subud religion of which he was a part? Probably not. Does it matter that the entire essay was written by someone who wasn't there but thinks he was because he's read about that time? In the grand scheme of things, no. But revisionist history is just that and it rarely stays contained to just one area.

But then, what do I know? I was born in 1970, so it could very well be that I'm just as full of BS.

I picked up the McGuinn error, and it certainly clashed with the bit earlier in the piece about the band's lifestyle, and I don't agree it's their best album (that would be either 'Mr. Tambourine Man' or 'Younger Than Yesterday') but it is an album that hangs together and flows really well, the whole stronger than the sum of the parts, and the writing did make me want to go relisten, which tends to be my acid test for an album review.  I was born in 1954, fanatically plugged into rock music at 9 from the British Invasion, and benefitted from one of the very early free-form rock FM stations (WEBN in Cincinnati - their "Jelly Pudding" programming), so I was "sort of there in some ways as a junior member".  I was aware of these albums in pretty much real time, though I didn't have the budget to buy/hear them all at the time.  Had a friend who did, and spent a lot of hours listening in his basement.  Saw the albums in the many hours I spent flipping through record store browsers/cutout bins, and heard cuts on the radio.  Not sure at what point I started reading Rolling Stone and other rock magazines (Creem, Crawdaddy).   Bought Lillian Roxon's "Rock Encyclopedia" very early on and wore it out.

Edited by felser