Chico Hamilton Quintet - South Pacific

Yes - can be listened to on Spotify without interruptions.

I’m on an older thread bashing this album…

But I changed my mind, it isn’t that bad! Agreed that “Bali Hai” is good.

Counter-but: unless you are an Eric Dolphy fanatic, you aren’t missing that much if you ignore Chico Hamilton records between the departure of Buddy Collette and Jim Hall, and the Charles Lloyd / Gabor Szabo incarnation of the band.

Edited by Guy Berger

4 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Yes - can be listened to on Spotify without interruptions.

I’m on an older thread bashing this album…

But I changed my mind, it isn’t that bad! Agreed that “Bali Hai” is good.

Counter-but: unless you are an Eric Dolphy fanatic, you aren’t missing that much if you ignore Chico Hamilton records between the departure of Buddy Collette and Jim Hall, and the Charles Lloyd / Gabor Szabo incarnation of the band.

Can't say I agree with this, the version of the Ellington Suite with Dolphy is exquisite.

13 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

I dunno, I've never heard a Chico Hamilton record I didn't like, although my favorites are from the Gabor Szabo era.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Gongs East! is not bad at all.

I have long included the track "Far East" on my Exotica Buried Treasures compilations.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

NS0yMDAwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Listened to it this afternoon - nice, but not that fascinating. But I love both versions of the Ellington Suite, and especially love to hear both Horn and Collette on the originally issued LP. I don't mind changing CDs when listening to them via the Mosaic

OS0zOTMyLmpwZWc.jpeg