Dizzy Reece Select

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there unissued tracks on the Select? I have all the aforementioned on LP (various Japanese issues).

No unissued material on the Select. It includes the three albums that originally came out on vinyls plus the two sessions that made up the 'Comin' On' CD.

OK, thanks. Got all that. Comin' On is very fine as well!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So I'm working from home today due to the ice storm, and am spinning disc 2 of this set while having my morning cup of coffee.

Dizzy is such a fantastic player. I'm listening to the "Soundin' Off" session right now....always liked his playing on this session since I first got this set. His solo on "(I Don't Stand A) Ghost of a Chance) is devastating. Also really impressive is Walter Bishop's playing here. He compliments Dizzy's mood really nicely.

This disc also has a few tracks from the "Star Bright" session, which I also love. I'm not a big fan of Hank Mobley's style of play, but I have to say that this session ranks with my favorite work of his along with "Workout" and his Cafe Bohemia recordings with Art Blakey.

Folks, again, if you don't have/aren't familiar with this material, GET THIS SET!! Its a gem.

So I'm working from home today due to the ice storm, and am spinning disc 2 of this set while having my morning cup of coffee.

Dizzy is such a fantastic player. I'm listening to the "Soundin' Off" session right now....always liked his playing on this session since I first got this set. His solo on "(I Don't Stand A) Ghost of a Chance) is devastating. Also really impressive is Walter Bishop's playing here. He compliments Dizzy's mood really nicely.

This disc also has a few tracks from the "Star Bright" session, which I also love. I'm not a big fan of Hank Mobley's style of play, but I have to say that this session ranks with my favorite work of his along with "Workout" and his Cafe Bohemia recordings with Art Blakey.

Folks, again, if you don't have/aren't familiar with this material, GET THIS SET!! Its a gem.

This is part of my CD backlog, had the set 12 months and all discs are still sealed, I'm waiting for the appropriate moment to open it up............ :ph34r:

This is part of my CD backlog, had the set 12 months and all discs are still sealed, I'm waiting for the appropriate moment to open it up............ :ph34r:

I'm in the same boat with the Randy Weston and Bennie Green sets. Embarrassing for sure......but not as embarrassing as going out in public looking like this!

300.jpg