Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
7 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Discogs seems to suggest Liebman plays tenor (and only tenor?) seemingly on all(?) of discs 1 & 2 (and his soprano playing is only on disc 3) — is that correct?

Or maybe I’m reading it wrong, and he simply doesn’t play any tenor at all on disc 3, and he plays both on discs 1 & 2.

https://www.discogs.com/release/3201343-David-Liebman-Richie-Beirach-Mosaic-Select-David-Liebman-Richie-Beirach

Soprano Saxophone – David Liebman

Tenor Saxophone – David Liebman (tracks: 1-1 to 2-4)

also, Alto Flute – David Liebman (tracks: 2-1 to 2-4)

ANYWAY, how “soprano-heavy” is this release? (If I might ask, sheepishly. :ph34r:)

I have the Select, and your second suggestion (bolded above) is correct.

I can't comment on "soprano-heavy" offhand. Maybe I'll spin the set in the next few days and post if nobody else does. I'm not very enthusiastic about this Select, have other listening planned and am not going to play it this evening.

 

  • 3 years later...
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

I recently found this set for a good deal - 23 bucks and some change - and am looking forward to giving it a listen. 

I'm a huge fan of Beirach & Liebman, so I think this set is terrific.  You're in for a treat, Dub!  :)

I'm especially partial to discs 2 (duets) and 3 (Quest).

 

Edited by HutchFan
Posted
3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I'm a huge fan of Beirach & Liebman, so I think this set is terrific.  You're in for a treat, Dub!  :)

I'm especially partial to discs 2 (duets) and 3 (Quest).

 

Jamming disc 1 at the moment and I'm digging it, muddy sound and all. That had to be a great show at the Keystone back in the day. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Disc 2, the duets, is amazing. 

Yes.  Such quiet, inward music -- but also simultaneously so INTENSE.

 

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 7/9/2026 at 7:30 AM, Dub Modal said:

Disc 2, the duets, is amazing. 

Yes.  This box made me realize I was sleeping on both of these guys

I naively assumed Liebman was “just” a high quality Coltrane imitator. Those exist and they’re enjoyable, but he’s much deeper

Posted
4 hours ago, felser said:

Now if ECM would just reissue that beautiful first Lookout Farm album.  

Dave Liebman - Lookout Farm - Vinyl (LP, Album + 2 more), 1974 ...

 

It is available on the streaming sites.  Not the same, I realize...

Posted
2 hours ago, ejp626 said:

It is available on the streaming sites.  Not the same, I realize...

Yes, I picked it up from there, thanks.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...