Dave Liebman &Richie Beirach Select

Damn. I gotta get this Select. >Liebman Select<

I used to believe Liebman was a flute player. After hearing the Liebman Select from the Mosaic site, I need this set. ^_^ I now realize Liebman is not generally a flute player. I read, somewhere, that he did play flute at one time.

I always buy the Mosaic Selects in numeric order. I have to purchase the Brookmeyer & Shank/Cooper first.

Edited by wesbed

I'm enjoying it so far, although the sound quality is so-so on this disc.

I've not yet heard the Liebman Select. I'm always curious to get opinions regarding the sound quality of a new release. How is the sound so-so? Is it distorted, over-powered, muffled, distant, electric, cloudy? Is the sound something that would make you change your decision to buy this set?

Hey I'm no audiophile by any means but based on your classifications, I'd say "distant/cloudy" would be the best fit. These are live recordings though, so my expectations weren't that high. I'd say the sound quality on Disc 1 is similar to the Lee Morgan - Live at the Lighthouse set - not great, but not terrible either. I need to listen to the other two discs to get the full picture.

Edited by ralphie_boy

I've listened to the rest of the set. Disc 2 which is all the Duets is a little better sound-quality wise and Disc 3 which is all of the Quest recordings, is actually very good.

Musically, I really like the Quest recordings alot, but I'm undecided about the Lookout Farm selections. Something about that Fender Rhodes that bothers me. The Duets are pretty cool too. I think this is one of those sets that's gonna require repeated listenings in order to form an opinion one way or the other.

I've listened to the rest of the set. Disc 2 which is all the Duets is a little better sound-quality wise and Disc 3 which is all of the Quest recordings, is actually very good.

Musically, I really like the Quest recordings alot, but I'm undecided about the Lookout Farm selections. Something about that Fender Rhodes that bothers me. The Duets are pretty cool too. I think this is one of those sets that's gonna require repeated listenings in order to form an opinion one way or the other.

Having made it all the way through the set a few times I would have to agree with ralphie_boy. Discs 2 and 3 have better sound quality.

I think the duets are my favorites. The rest of the set will take a while to grow on me.

I've been listening to disc 1 a few times over the last couple of days , once my ears got used to where it was coming from I've really enjoyed it . Theres a really good version of Night in Tunisia on disc 1 .

To these not so well informed ears Beirach sound a little like Electric Miles period Keith Jarrett , which is a compliment.

I've played it a couple times in the car & it gets better with each passing minute.

Picked up mine from the delivery depot today (this time hidden in the depths of Sheffield's industrial regeneration area! They do pick their spots!).

Have just listened to disc one and loved it. The sonic issue causes me no problems. I've heard far worse than this.

The music I love. This is what jazz sounded like when I first got interested in it in the mid-70s. Personally I love the sound of the fender rhodes and can't get enough of it.

I agree, Gary, with your Miles comparison. This is very much out of that period...but without the pronounced 'funk' that characterised a great deal of Miles' stuff from Jack Johnson onwards.

Looking forward to disc 2 and 3.

Music recorded in the 70s probably represents 1% of my collection. I have never liked the electric-electronic stuff, and most of my 70s music is from the likes of Braff, Benny Carter, Chet, Marion Brown, etc. But, I was curious about this set and have now listened to disc 1. While some of it is not to my liking, Liebman's work does catch my ear and I know that I will need to work harder to get into the groove that I am hearing. An unusual offering from Mosaic-nothing like it from the in or out-of-print catalogue.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not yet purchased the Liebman/Beirach Select. With that said, this seems like an 'odd' release for Mosaic. I don't know why. It just seems odd.

Is this a McMaster remaster? I don't mean this as a complaint about McMaster. I like McMaster's work. The Mosaic discography doesn't say who remastered the Liebman/Beirach Select.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Catching up with this... Liebman is sort of an on and off thing here. I've never turned into a big fan of his so far, but I have lots of respect for him and enjoy the hell out of some of his music. Recently got the Enja reissue of the Frank Tusa album that is more or less a Lookout Farm set, Father Time. To me, this music has quite some appeal, 70s or not, fender rhodes or not. It's honest, lively stuff that I assume might make some folks nervous, but hey, they're trying out some stuff, and to me it works just fine!

The duets are interesting, lyrical... Beirach gets to the front here, and honestly I'm not sure I understand him yet. It's not boring however, rather it's just a "code", I guess, that I don't quite get yet.

Haven't played the Quest disc yet, but I'll love that one, I'm sure! The Paris gig that was partially released as Redemption on hatOLOGY was pure magic, for instance!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 years later...

Had this lying around for a long time, this weekend was the first time I actually listened to it. (Only the first disc thus far.)

Very good music. Out of the late 60s / early 70s Coltrane acolytes, Liebman has always been one of the most engaging to my ears - less academic, more open minded than many of his peers. (Despite his negative comments about some avant-garde musicians…)

This kind of aggressive rock-infused jazz is something I really like about that period.

I recently replaced my long-gone copy of this set, it's a really enjoyable one that rewards repeated listens. If anyone is in the market, there's a very affordable one here:

https://www.silverplatters.com/p/872065/liebman-beirach-mosaic-select-3-cd

I would also highly recommend this release from last year, which seems to have flown under the radar. 5 discs: solos from each, a duo, a trio with Jack DeJohnette, and a very interesting quasi-electroacoustic quartet https://www.amazon.com/Empathy-Dave-Beirach-Richie-Liebman/dp/B096TN7FTM

Discogs seems to suggest Liebman plays tenor (and only tenor?) seemingly on all(?) of discs 1 & 2 (and his soprano playing is only on disc 3) — is that correct?

Or maybe I’m reading it wrong, and he simply doesn’t play any tenor at all on disc 3, and he plays both on discs 1 & 2.

https://www.discogs.com/release/3201343-David-Liebman-Richie-Beirach-Mosaic-Select-David-Liebman-Richie-Beirach

Soprano Saxophone – David Liebman

Tenor Saxophone – David Liebman (tracks: 1-1 to 2-4)

also, Alto Flute – David Liebman (tracks: 2-1 to 2-4)

ANYWAY, how “soprano-heavy” is this release? (If I might ask, sheepishly. :ph34r:)