Horace Silver Quintet Live New York, Revisited

romualdo

But, as Colin indicated, why Out To Lunch? Why the Prestige recordings of Miles Davis? Hard to understand, at least from a collector's point of view, a rationale for those "reissues."

If recordings up to 1972 are public domain in Switzerland, my goodness—so many great records that have never seen (or likely ever will see) a digital release could have been produced.

The first release on ezz-thetics was fully authorized, never previously available, and wonderful. Had the label followed that path (jazz-detective-ing for unreleased concerts)—that would truly have been something. (How else could we finally hear Giuffre's 1961 Tübingen concert?)

(Besides the Tübingen concert being on YouTube in a rough transfer.)

On 3/8/2023 at 11:39 AM, Late said:

The first release on ezz-thetics was fully authorized, never previously available, and wonderful. Had the label followed that path (jazz-detective-ing for unreleased concerts)—that would truly have been something. (How else could we finally hear Giuffre's 1961 Tübingen concert?)

That's what initially suggested (to me) that the ezzthetics series was legit, these early previously unissued releases

On 12/8/2022 at 1:42 AM, soulpope said:

In general I dislike reissues featuring only a part of the original release .... even this is a sort of disrespect ....

An equal headache is when labels combine two LPs and leave off tracks, or even worse, re-sequence the tracks, as was due to the horrible CD Jaki Byard: Solo/With Strings.

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

An equal headache is when labels combine two LPs and leave off tracks, or even worse, re-sequence the tracks, as was due to the horrible CD Jaki Byard: Solo/With Strings.

Chief offender was MCA in the early CD days.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 10:53 AM, Dan Gould said:

Realizing there is no respect for the artist's estate or legal interests by this company, and remembering that I had once interacted with Greg Silver about another Horace Silver boot, I've dug up that email and sent a new message to Greg.

Unfortunately Gregory passed away last year I'm told. 

What time period is your bootleg from?

7 hours ago, david weiss said:

Unfortunately Gregory passed away last year I'm told. 

What time period is your bootleg from?

That's unfortunate to hear.

It was 2009 that I reached out to him and it wasn't really a bootleg so much as a questionable bit-torrent post on dimeadozen.org.  Wolfgang's Vault had announced that they purchased Newport Jazz Festival recordings and a few months later, someone posted the 1959 Silver Quintet Newport performance on Dime. 

I protested to the mods because from the press around the Wolfgang's announcement this seemed as if they were the only legit source for the recording and Dime is actually pretty good about not allowing commercially available recordings, only true "private" and "live" recordings. Yet, they told me it was an open question whether Wolfgang's  was paying artists or their estates, so the torrent would stay on the tracker.

I let Greg know about it didn't hear anything further.

BTW that 1959 performance is killer, right before release of the Blowin' the Blues Away record. They had barely started performing the tunes in public so Horace expresses surprise when there is crowd reaction to "Sister Sadie" during his intro ... the tunes were that fresh in the repertoire.  He must have just known he had a hit record about to be released, the way people were reacting.

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2022 at 1:42 AM, soulpope said:

In general I dislike reissues featuring only a part of the original release .... even this is a sort of disrespect ....

Agreed. One of my biggest pet peeves with Fantasy is when they would combine two LPs on one CD then omit a track.

The biggest mistake was their compilation of Jaki Byard’s Solo and With Strings. Not only did they omit a favorite track from the former, “Hello, Young Lovers,” but they intermingled the tracks from the two LPs, screwing up the original sequencing badly and making for an odd listening experience.