BFT 226 - To the Well Once More

Dan Gould

Here we go: 11 tracks total, about 73 minutes or so. There is one Felser Should Like This™ track, and one Felser Will Not Like This™ track. The rest are all Felser May Not Actively Dislike This™.  Otherwise, one artist is on two tracks. One track has Gene Harris.  Percy France does not appear. There is one gimme - at least via Google.

Most importantly, there is a theme. The theme started in one spot but I had a long stretch of no time at all to review and cull the list I had accumulated. So when December rolled around, I had no choice but to adjust my theme a bit and ultimately came up with this theme and these tracks.

Hope you like some of them.  As my friend Mr. Felser has said, guesses are nice, comments on the music, positive or negative, are even better. 

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

2 hours ago, BillF said:

I can't do much more than try to identify some of the tunes.

Track 3 "Like Someone in Love"

Track 4: How well I know this tune, but can't put a name to it!

Track 5: "God Bless the Child"(?)

Track 6: Charlie Parker's "Au Privave"

Track 10: "Tickle Toe"

You are correct on all, Bill, and way better at tune-naming than I am.

1. Latin jazz, of a more recent vintage (1990s or closer).  This is as per the recording quality: the piano and percussion are too up front.  Since the latin rhythm is so straight-forward and insistent, I’m gonna guess the leader is more of a latin star than jazz.  Chico O’Farrill?  The problem with latin percussion, to my ears, is that it doesn’t really go anywhere, which doesn’t give much for the soloists to work with: it doesn’t matter what they do, the rhythm’s gonna keep going on.
  2. Now, this is more like it.  Guitarist’s got a great tone and is very soulful.  Trumpeter’s laid back, isn’t trying to prove anything or blow anyone’s eardrums out.  Sax sounds like Turrentine.  My guess is, it’s the organist’s date, but I don’t know who.  I could listen to this all night.
  3. Like Someone In Love.  Trumpeter has listened to Miles on mute.  Nice conga in the background.  I’m gonna guess this IS Turrentine, with maybe his brother on trumpet.  Nice piano: Horace Parlan?  Another nice track.
  4. Self-assured tenor.  Johnny Griffin?  Driving bass.  I liked this.
  5. God Bless The Child.  Nice chart.  A showcase for the tenor; no clue who it is, but he has a lot of personality (but not too much).  Might be Wynton Kelly on piano.  Always nice to hear this tune.
  6. Billie’s Bounce.  Charlie Rouse on tenor?  McCoy Tyner on piano?  It’s OK, but it sounds like they’re not really committed to the tune, almost like they want to turn it ala Miles’s Gingerbread Boy.  I like the outro; sounds like a New Orleans marching band leaving the stage.
  7. Ah, a Coltrane homage.  Nice groove.  Pianist strays off the path like McCoy, but I don’t think it is McCoy because the left hand is too light.  The pianist is just marking time until the tenor comes back.  In some ways, this is like latin music: it isn’t really going anywhere.  The tenor does have a nice tone, and he’s not going apeshit on his horn until the end, which is truly a blessing.  I’m going to guess David Murray.
  8. I like this.  Give me the grease!  I’m gonna guess Houston Person on tenor.  Can’t identify the singer, but he’s good.  A lot of fun.
  9. Nice, in a Jazz Messengers/Jazz Crusaders way.  Preach, brother!  I’m gonna guess Ron Carter on bass.  Sax sounds a little too much like Turrentine, so I’m gonna guess some younger cats, ala Grant Stewart, Jim Rotondi, et al.  Nice energy.
  10. I have this: Tickle Toe by Al Cohn, Scott Hamilton and Buddy Tate from their Concord album Tour De Force.  Nice album; Cohn is a monster.
  11. Another pianist in the McCoy camp.  Drummer loves those cymbals: Tony Williams?  Freddie Hubbard?  It’s OK; a lot of energy.  I do think that the McCoy approach, in general, saps performances of some of their individuality.

I enjoyed this a lot!  Thanks for posting.

1 – It’s sort of OK, though not something I would ever reach for.  Overstays its welcome with the static rhythms.  And the piano solo is quite annoying.  By the end, I have negative feelings about it.

2 – Joey DeFrancesco?   Good, clean guitar solo.  Same with the trumpet solo.  Not as sold on the tenor player.  Organ solo seems to have more fireworks than someone like McDuff would put in, but it’s not Charles Earland or Jimmy Smith.  This track is a winner overall for me!

3 -  To me, this is well-enough played background music,  nothing that especially draws me to it.   I don’t’ particularly like the trumpet solo, the other solos are better.  I’m neutral on this cut.

4 – Sign me up for this one!  Four masterful musicians.  Could listen all day, like it a lot.  Another winner.

5 – “God Bless The Child”.   Not totally sold on the lead sax, though he’s not offensive, and he certainly can play.  If anything, he soulfully overplays.   Latter day Hank Crawford?  Is this Gene Harris on piano?  Not in love with it.   I’m neutral on this cut.

6 – Old bebop song, I’m just going blank on the title because I’m old and tired.   Don’t really like what they’re doing with the rhythm in places, it’s too static at times.  I’m guessing this is post-1990 based on that.  Horn solos are good, as is the piano introduction and the piano solo (despite the background chattering).  Neutral on this one.

7 – This is most likely the “Felser Should Like This™ track”, and I sure do!  The pianist does a mean McCoy Tyner/Joe Bonner/John HIcks, and the drummer does a mean Elvin Jones.   Not sure on the tenor player, though I probably should be.  If I don’t have this already, I need to try to take care of that right now.  Tenor player actually reminds me of good Joe Lovano (there is some). Huge winner!

8 – No thanks in every way.   Negative on this.

9 – Good stuff, well played.  Nothing life-changing but settles into the positive column for me. 

10 – This was likely the which may have been the “Felser Will Not Like This™ track”, but I actually am enjoying it well enough.  Ellington piece done by a later repertory group?  Positive column for me.

11 – Good stuff.  Sounds like a 60’s Blue Note date recorded at Van Gelder Studios.  Freddie Hubbard?   This could also be the “Felser Should Like This™ track”, though I still favor #7 as the odds-on choice.  Anyways, outstanding playing, and surely I own this already, but if I don’t, I need to.  Huge positive.

So the accounting, the best Felser score ever for a Dan Gould BFT!

Positive-6 neutral-3 negative-2

No idea what the theme is, greatly look forward to the reveals/correct guesses on especially 7, 11, but also 2.4

Thanks Dan!

2 hours ago, mjzee said:
  1. Latin jazz, of a more recent vintage (1990s or closer).  This is as per the recording quality: the piano and percussion are too up front.  Since the latin rhythm is so straight-forward and insistent, I’m gonna guess the leader is more of a latin star than jazz.  Chico O’Farrill?  The problem with latin percussion, to my ears, is that it doesn’t really go anywhere, which doesn’t give much for the soloists to work with: it doesn’t matter what they do, the rhythm’s gonna keep going on.
  2. Now, this is more like it.  Guitarist’s got a great tone and is very soulful.  Trumpeter’s laid back, isn’t trying to prove anything or blow anyone’s eardrums out.  Sax sounds like Turrentine.  My guess is, it’s the organist’s date, but I don’t know who.  I could listen to this all night.
  3. Like Someone In Love.  Trumpeter has listened to Miles on mute.  Nice conga in the background.  I’m gonna guess this IS Turrentine, with maybe his brother on trumpet.  Nice piano: Horace Parlan?  Another nice track.
  4. Self-assured tenor.  Johnny Griffin?  Driving bass.  I liked this.
  5. God Bless The Child.  Nice chart.  A showcase for the tenor; no clue who it is, but he has a lot of personality (but not too much).  Might be Wynton Kelly on piano.  Always nice to hear this tune.
  6. Billie’s Bounce.  Charlie Rouse on tenor?  McCoy Tyner on piano?  It’s OK, but it sounds like they’re not really committed to the tune, almost like they want to turn it ala Miles’s Gingerbread Boy.  I like the outro; sounds like a New Orleans marching band leaving the stage.
  7. Ah, a Coltrane homage.  Nice groove.  Pianist strays off the path like McCoy, but I don’t think it is McCoy because the left hand is too light.  The pianist is just marking time until the tenor comes back.  In some ways, this is like latin music: it isn’t really going anywhere.  The tenor does have a nice tone, and he’s not going apeshit on his horn until the end, which is truly a blessing.  I’m going to guess David Murray.
  8. I like this.  Give me the grease!  I’m gonna guess Houston Person on tenor.  Can’t identify the singer, but he’s good.  A lot of fun.
  9. Nice, in a Jazz Messengers/Jazz Crusaders way.  Preach, brother!  I’m gonna guess Ron Carter on bass.  Sax sounds a little too much like Turrentine, so I’m gonna guess some younger cats, ala Grant Stewart, Jim Rotondi, et al.  Nice energy.
  10. I have this: Tickle Toe by Al Cohn, Scott Hamilton and Buddy Tate from their Concord album Tour De Force.  Nice album; Cohn is a monster.
  11. Another pianist in the McCoy camp.  Drummer loves those cymbals: Tony Williams?  Freddie Hubbard?  It’s OK; a lot of energy.  I do think that the McCoy approach, in general, saps performances of some of their individuality.

I enjoyed this a lot!  Thanks for posting.

You got number 10, of course but the bop tune is not as you identified. #1 is a '90s recording, but not O'Farrill.  The other names you mention are not present (at least on the tracks you placed them).

Very glad you enjoyed the compilation! Thanks for participating.

9 hours ago, felser said:

1 – It’s sort of OK, though not something I would ever reach for.  Overstays its welcome with the static rhythms.  And the piano solo is quite annoying.  By the end, I have negative feelings about it.

2 – Joey DeFrancesco?   Good, clean guitar solo.  Same with the trumpet solo.  Not as sold on the tenor player.  Organ solo seems to have more fireworks than someone like McDuff would put in, but it’s not Charles Earland or Jimmy Smith.  This track is a winner overall for me!

3 -  To me, this is well-enough played background music,  nothing that especially draws me to it.   I don’t’ particularly like the trumpet solo, the other solos are better.  I’m neutral on this cut.

4 – Sign me up for this one!  Four masterful musicians.  Could listen all day, like it a lot.  Another winner.

5 – “God Bless The Child”.   Not totally sold on the lead sax, though he’s not offensive, and he certainly can play.  If anything, he soulfully overplays.   Latter day Hank Crawford?  Is this Gene Harris on piano?  Not in love with it.   I’m neutral on this cut.

6 – Old bebop song, I’m just going blank on the title because I’m old and tired.   Don’t really like what they’re doing with the rhythm in places, it’s too static at times.  I’m guessing this is post-1990 based on that.  Horn solos are good, as is the piano introduction and the piano solo (despite the background chattering).  Neutral on this one.

7 – This is most likely the “Felser Should Like This™ track”, and I sure do!  The pianist does a mean McCoy Tyner/Joe Bonner/John HIcks, and the drummer does a mean Elvin Jones.   Not sure on the tenor player, though I probably should be.  If I don’t have this already, I need to try to take care of that right now.  Tenor player actually reminds me of good Joe Lovano (there is some). Huge winner!

8 – No thanks in every way.   Negative on this.

9 – Good stuff, well played.  Nothing life-changing but settles into the positive column for me. 

10 – This was likely the which may have been the “Felser Will Not Like This™ track”, but I actually am enjoying it well enough.  Ellington piece done by a later repertory group?  Positive column for me.

11 – Good stuff.  Sounds like a 60’s Blue Note date recorded at Van Gelder Studios.  Freddie Hubbard?   This could also be the “Felser Should Like This™ track”, though I still favor #7 as the odds-on choice.  Anyways, outstanding playing, and surely I own this already, but if I don’t, I need to.  Huge positive.

So the accounting, the best Felser score ever for a Dan Gould BFT!

Positive-6 neutral-3 negative-2

No idea what the theme is, greatly look forward to the reveals/correct guesses on especially 7, 11, but also 2.4

Thanks Dan!

I'll take the win on that, then!

Number 6 is post-1990 but none of the names thrown out are correct.

I am very curious  what it is about number 8 to spark such a powerfully negative reaction especially considering many of the other tunes are also soulfully played blues.

2023 already? Where does the time go?

TRACK ONE - Very much Eddie! Knowing that Dan is a big advocate for Bryan Lynch, my guess would be that this is the band with Lynch & Conrad Herwig. i love both Palmieris at damn near all times and this one is no exception. Even though I might overall prefer him with vocals, it's a small preference. This is dance music for sure. Five stars, even if the alto solo are strictly playing off the clave. Time marches on! I do know that both Lynch and Herwig took a lot of time to get deep into it, maybe not Barry Rogers deep, but then, who could do that? Besides, Eddie just brings deep every time out.

TRACK TWO - The tradition lives! Not sure how many generations in this is, at least third, but it sounds like everybody has learned their lessons well and deeply. Now that Charles Earland is no longer around to make Charles Earland records, this will certainly do. Time marches on!

TRACK THREE - Houston Person is pretty unmistakable. PLUS he's still around to make Houston Peron records, which is a good thing, because it seems like he continues to deepen within himself. He did NOT play with this type of subtlety when he waa younger, and he's a lot older now. Where does the time go? This? https://www.discogs.com/release/11645087-Houston-Person-The-Lion-And-His-Pride

TRACK FOUR - That's a really nice tune. I might guess Eric Alexander, but it's a not quite George Coleman enough, even for today's Alexander. I would like to hear Coleman in his prime play these changes, though. it might have a bit more gravitas. But this ain't bad. And it's a REALLY cool tune, in a retro type way.

TRACK FIVE - Ok, this loses me, all the generically soulful alto-ness. It could be anybody within a subset. God bless the child that's got his own.

TRACK SIX - The Marsalis Stain. The gumbo with all the right ingredients not cooked well. An hour later and you're still hungry. Too late now. Where does the time go? Who produced this record? I hope they've gone away.

TRACK SEVEN - Sounds like something that was already old when it was new. My how time flies. Good players, though, craftsmanship aplenty, and the pianist actually puts something unexpected in there for a quick minute. Very sincere, just nothing that isn't already abundantly there already, and Pharoah is still alice to make Pharoah records.

TRACK EIGHT - I had to scratch my chin a few times before recognizing Ernie Andrews. Scratching rewarded! A little sleuthing reveals that the masterful tenor is Teddy Edwards! That's all you need!

TRACK NINE - Red Holloway? Not? Whoever it is, yeah! An older Blue Michell? I like it. it's got flayva, even if the packaging is recycled Adderley. Gotta get over somehow, no blame found here.

TRACK TEN - Yeah, I know this one, Cohn, Tate, and Hamilton. Two great and one perfectly fine tenorists damn near strangled by a log-up-the-ass rhythm section. Concord strikes again. As long as you listen to the tenors, it's great. Let even a teense of the rhythm section in, it's torture. So I stick to the tenors for as long as I can, and then get back as soon as I can. Frankly, I think it's the bassist more than anybody. Like a pair of old women's stretch pants, there's no pocket. But it's not ALL his fault. I mean, I have always been suspicious about Dave McKenna, and this is no exception.

TRACK ELEVEN - Another REALLY good tune. LOVING the drummer, but please note - he's WAY down in the mix. Producers like to do that and I get it, but hearing Eddie Gladden live with Dexter opened my eyes to what an artificial picture it creates. Oh well. Soloists are good, perhaps not inspired, but that drummer is inspired enough for everybody! I'm getting a very strong Woody Shaw vibe out of this, but more Woody Shaw-ish. Sounds like everybody came to play, and that drummer made it mandatory that they did!

A pretty pleasant mix. Not sure what the overall theme is except maybe some kind of Next-Gen thing, maybe? No matter, it's 2023! Where does the time go?

31 minutes ago, JSngry said:

2023 already? Where does the time go?

TRACK ONE - Very much Eddie! Knowing that Dan is a big advocate for Bryan Lynch, my guess would be that this is the band with Lynch & Conrad Herwig. i love both Palmieris at damn near all times and this one is no exception. Even though I might overall prefer him with vocals, it's a small preference. This is dance music for sure. Five stars, even if the alto solo are strictly playing off the clave. Time marches on! I do know that both Lynch and Herwig took a lot of time to get deep into it, maybe not Barry Rogers deep, but then, who could do that? Besides, Eddie just brings deep every time out.

TRACK TWO - The tradition lives! Not sure how many generations in this is, at least third, but it sounds like everybody has learned their lessons well and deeply. Now that Charles Earland is no longer around to make Charles Earland records, this will certainly do. Time marches on!

TRACK THREE - Houston Person is pretty unmistakable. PLUS he's still around to make Houston Peron records, which is a good thing, because it seems like he continues to deepen within himself. He did NOT play with this type of subtlety when he waa younger, and he's a lot older now. Where does the time go? This? https://www.discogs.com/release/11645087-Houston-Person-The-Lion-And-His-Pride

TRACK FOUR - That's a really nice tune. I might guess Eric Alexander, but it's a not quite George Coleman enough, even for today's Alexander. I would like to hear Coleman in his prime play these changes, though. it might have a bit more gravitas. But this ain't bad. And it's a REALLY cool tune, in a retro type way.

TRACK FIVE - Ok, this loses me, all the generically soulful alto-ness. It could be anybody within a subset. God bless the child that's got his own.

TRACK SIX - The Marsalis Stain. The gumbo with all the right ingredients not cooked well. An hour later and you're still hungry. Too late now. Where does the time go? Who produced this record? I hope they've gone away.

TRACK SEVEN - Sounds like something that was already old when it was new. My how time flies. Good players, though, craftsmanship aplenty, and the pianist actually puts something unexpected in there for a quick minute. Very sincere, just nothing that isn't already abundantly there already, and Pharoah is still alice to make Pharoah records.

TRACK EIGHT - I had to scratch my chin a few times before recognizing Ernie Andrews. Scratching rewarded! A little sleuthing reveals that the masterful tenor is Teddy Edwards! That's all you need!

TRACK NINE - Red Holloway? Not? Whoever it is, yeah! An older Blue Michell? I like it. it's got flayva, even if the packaging is recycled Adderley. Gotta get over somehow, no blame found here.

TRACK TEN - Yeah, I know this one, Cohn, Tate, and Hamilton. Two great and one perfectly fine tenorists damn near strangled by a log-up-the-ass rhythm section. Concord strikes again. As long as you listen to the tenors, it's great. Let even a teense of the rhythm section in, it's torture. So I stick to the tenors for as long as I can, and then get back as soon as I can. Frankly, I think it's the bassist more than anybody. Like a pair of old women's stretch pants, there's no pocket. But it's not ALL his fault. I mean, I have always been suspicious about Dave McKenna, and this is no exception.

TRACK ELEVEN - Another REALLY good tune. LOVING the drummer, but please note - he's WAY down in the mix. Producers like to do that and I get it, but hearing Eddie Gladden live with Dexter opened my eyes to what an artificial picture it creates. Oh well. Soloists are good, perhaps not inspired, but that drummer is inspired enough for everybody! I'm getting a very strong Woody Shaw vibe out of this, but more Woody Shaw-ish. Sounds like everybody came to play, and that drummer made it mandatory that they did!

A pretty pleasant mix. Not sure what the overall theme is except maybe some kind of Next-Gen thing, maybe? No matter, it's 2023! Where does the time go?

Let's see ... you got track 1 artists correct and yes 3 is now identified. The Track 6 Marsalis Stain must be by osmosis as no one is a Marsalis or a particular acolyte.  Personally I've liked Dave McKenna with Hamilton.  And you didn't really mean to write that Pharoah is alive to make Pharoah records?

Not really Nex-Gen, no, but I was kind of relying on your ears to spot and ID elements that would help bring the theme to light and you haven't. That may be more on me than you.

BFT 225
1. Latin jazz.  Dizzy?
2. Organ combo.  I like the trumpet growls.  Don Patterson?
3. Can't rule out Turrentine
4. Leaning toward Rollins.
5. A God Bless the Child that could be Blue Note.  Wayne Shorter?
6. A Bird composition Yardbird Suite, or Now's the Time.  Killer piano intro.  Piano player is a hummer during his solo.  Dexter?
7. Everything about the opening screams Coltrane Classic Quartet.
8. Joe Williams?
9. Tight small band sounding big.  Jazz Messengers? 
10. Stride feel in the piano, live date, possibly JATP. Johnny Griffin?
11. Torn between Art Farmer and Freddie Hubbard.  Not really, I have just guessed Art Farmer wrongly sooo many times.  Art Farmer, around the time of Blame It on My Youth.

------------------------

After reading the thread.

Dan's Hometown BFT was so difficult, I was sure he wouldn't give us any obvious tracks.  I initially concluded 4 was Grant Stewart rather than Rollins on that basis.  Listening to 7, I know it should have been more familiar if it was the Coltrane classic quartet, but it was so McCoy and so Garrison and so compositionally that band, I was convinced it was - leading me to conclude other tracks might be big names too.

23 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

BFT 225
1. Latin jazz.  Dizzy?
2. Organ combo.  I like the trumpet growls.  Don Patterson?
3. Can't rule out Turrentine
4. Leaning toward Rollins.
5. A God Bless the Child that could be Blue Note.  Wayne Shorter?
6. A Bird composition Yardbird Suite, or Now's the Time.  Killer piano intro.  Piano player is a hummer during his solo.  Dexter?
7. Everything about the opening screams Coltrane Classic Quartet.
8. Joe Williams?
9. Tight small band sounding big.  Jazz Messengers? 
10. Stride feel in the piano, live date, possibly JATP. Johnny Griffin?
11. Torn between Art Farmer and Freddie Hubbard.  Not really, I have just guessed Art Farmer wrongly sooo many times.  Art Farmer, around the time of Blame It on My Youth.

------------------------

After reading the thread.

Dan's Hometown BFT was so difficult, I was sure he wouldn't give us any obvious tracks.  I initially concluded 4 was Grant Stewart rather than Rollins on that basis.  Listening to 7, I know it should have been more familiar if it was the Coltrane classic quartet, but it was so McCoy and so Garrison and so compositionally that band, I was convinced it was - leading me to conclude other tracks might be big names too.

Thanks for your thoughts Randy.

#2 is not Don Patterson but the composition is.

28 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Apparently there's a player missing on Track 6 that might have really upped the intergenerational ante...and possibly the musical interest quotient as well.

I think that I thought I heard him and while it's on me, discogs was no help, and the chosen tune was one that caught my ear way back when so it was easy to select.

Getting to this one late and that's too bad because it's a smoker of a mix. 

Lots of these tracks are burners. Songs 2, 3, & 4 really stand out in sequence. Track 5 is good and quite familiar. Seven is a bit Coltrane-ish in composition but that's not a critique as it's a nice tune.

No guesses to share, just wanted to chime in and let you know how much I enjoyed this. Thanks! 

I hear a young Pete Bernstein with Mike Ledonne. Sounds like the band that Alvin Queen took on tour in the early 2000s. They had an off day in my hometown and a good time was had by all. So probably Jesse Davis and that huge trumpet player whose name escapes me right now.

And there is Ralph Moore playing SOS with Ray Brown. Wes' compositions are criminally underrated.

52 minutes ago, hgweber said:

I hear a young Pete Bernstein with Mike Ledonne. Sounds like the band that Alvin Queen took on tour in the early 2000s. They had an off day in my hometown and a good time was had by all. So probably Jesse Davis and that huge trumpet player whose name escapes me right now.

And there is Ralph Moore playing SOS with Ray Brown. Wes' compositions are criminally underrated.

Well done on both! #2 and #4 are ID'd if not with perfect specificity. 

1. No idea. I like it though. Sounds recent, but then again technology being what it is, recent could mean "within the last 30 years." Freddie Hubbard?
2. Ahhh this sounds like the kinda groove I used to go mad about around these parts back in the day. Melvin Sparks on guitar?
3. Like Someone in Love. I like this arrangement and am eager to find out who this is.
4. No idea again. I like that it sounds similar to track 3.
5. God Bless the Child, and God bless the arranger. I love this and I could swear I've heard this before.
6. The more I listen to this the less I like it. Sounds like the LCJO trying to play Monk as N'awlins gumbo gutbucket wat-doo-diddy-wat-wat etc. Somewhere Ken Burns is firing up his camera to document this. The ending of this is just embarrassing and takes way too long to finish.
7. Sounds like a tribute to the Coltrane Quartet. I particularly like this because the bassist plays like Steve Davis from that group, holding down the groove while everyone around him goes exploring. Those Atlantic Coltrane Quartet recordings are my favorite era of Trane!
8. The singer sounds like Joe Williams. Maybe it is Joe Williams. Whoever it is, I like it!
9. See answer to track 1. Except I couldn't tell you who the trumpeter is. And if it's Freddie Hubbard, I'm gonna go away for another ten years!
10. The tune is familiar but the players aren't, not to these ears anyway. Sounds like everyone's having a good time, though!
11. No idea, but I like it and it reminds me again why I love trumpet-led quartet sessions!

Overall I enjoyed this BFT (aside from track 6) and am looking forward to the answers!

8 hours ago, Big Al said:

1. No idea. I like it though. Sounds recent, but then again technology being what it is, recent could mean "within the last 30 years." Freddie Hubbard?
2. Ahhh this sounds like the kinda groove I used to go mad about around these parts back in the day. Melvin Sparks on guitar?
3. Like Someone in Love. I like this arrangement and am eager to find out who this is.
4. No idea again. I like that it sounds similar to track 3.
5. God Bless the Child, and God bless the arranger. I love this and I could swear I've heard this before.
6. The more I listen to this the less I like it. Sounds like the LCJO trying to play Monk as N'awlins gumbo gutbucket wat-doo-diddy-wat-wat etc. Somewhere Ken Burns is firing up his camera to document this. The ending of this is just embarrassing and takes way too long to finish.
7. Sounds like a tribute to the Coltrane Quartet. I particularly like this because the bassist plays like Steve Davis from that group, holding down the groove while everyone around him goes exploring. Those Atlantic Coltrane Quartet recordings are my favorite era of Trane!
8. The singer sounds like Joe Williams. Maybe it is Joe Williams. Whoever it is, I like it!
9. See answer to track 1. Except I couldn't tell you who the trumpeter is. And if it's Freddie Hubbard, I'm gonna go away for another ten years!
10. The tune is familiar but the players aren't, not to these ears anyway. Sounds like everyone's having a good time, though!
11. No idea, but I like it and it reminds me again why I love trumpet-led quartet sessions!

Overall I enjoyed this BFT (aside from track 6) and am looking forward to the answers!

Thanks for sharing  your thoughts Al and I am pleased to report that you do not need to go away for another ten years - no Freddie Hubbard here. (And not Joe Williams either though I definitely hear the similarities.)