43.5 million LPs sold in US in 2022

GA Russell

Taylor Swift's rabid fans probably bought all 4 of the variants of her latest LP release, "MIdnights", which likely is the reason that there were a lot of buyers of LPs in 2022 who didn't own a turntable. Those LPs sold out in most brick & mortar stores in a few days and I bet that a lot of those LP buyers didn't buy them to play them.

There was a small European label that put out limited editions of 500 LPs. The owner told me in a phone interview that he was having quality control issues because so many vinyl manufacturing components had been scrapped, the skilled operators had died or retired and the remaining plants were overworked and not properly maintained. 

Frankly, I've purchased few of the "new" vinyl pressings and I have been unimpressed and think they are overpriced. I'd rather invest in CDs, as the sound will be better and they will probably last longer without defects. Not to mention, CDs take up a lot less space.

A friend who's looking to release an upcoming project on vinyl as well as CD told me recently that it's generally a six-month wait now to get LPs produced because of the manufacturing-capacity shortage.  Still glad I never hopped on the vinyl-revival train.  The CD is the best physical unit for music that I've experienced in my lifetime; as Ken said, they sound better, they last longer, they contain more music, and they take up less space.  Plus they're generally much cheaper these days than vinyl versions.  

18 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Speaking of the devil, here is an article from yesterday's local weekly about a turntable repairman.

https://indyweek.com/news/15-minutes/greg-bower-57/

"What is the record-collecting community like, in your experience?"

"Obsessive. Really nice people that are obsessed."

Sounds like our kind of people. 😙