Grocholl Bratkartoffeln mit Speck & Zwiebeln

I bought Ms. TTK a Valentine's Day present on Etsy.  It was shipped from Germany.

The package arrived today.  The item was packed in a box of Bratkartoffeln mit Speck & Zwiebeln.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, there were no bratkartoffeln, speck, or zwiebeln left in the package.

https://wiglo-shop.de/product/bratkartoffeln-mit-speck-zwiebeln-400g/

@Teasing the Korean

Why not prepare it yourself, it´s the most simple dish I have heard about ever. Never ever would I buy "alimente semipreparate" . Just cook potatoes, cut them to smaller pieces, frie  onions and ham together with the potato pieces

We call this "cartofi țărănești” (potatoes farmer´s style, Kartoffeln nach Bauern Art). But if I eat it as a garnitura for meals with meat, I leave the ham (" "slănină” "Șpeck”) out. And otherwise too on many occasions since the "șpeck" somehow predominates the aroma of the cartofi. 

I think the Germans use more "șpeck". But they have other tastes. For example, once when I traveled thru Germania I saw to my surprise that they serve the famous „șnițel vienez” with some mushroom sos . But I also heard that the younger generation of Germans mostly eat "Doner kebab" or "curryvurst" where doner kebab is originally from Turkey and Curry must be from India......

Edited by Gheorghe

On 2/14/2023 at 2:16 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

I bought Ms. TTK a Valentine's Day present on Etsy.  It was shipped from Germany.

The package arrived today.  The item was packed in a box of Bratkartoffeln mit Speck & Zwiebeln.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, there were no bratkartoffeln, speck, or zwiebeln left in the package.

https://wiglo-shop.de/product/bratkartoffeln-mit-speck-zwiebeln-400g/

See my posting 4 hours earlier.

Best regards . Gh. 

Herunterladen (9).jpg

Edited by Gheorghe

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

@Teasing the Korean

Why not prepare it yourself, it´s the most simple dish I have heard about ever. Never ever would I buy "alimente semipreparate" . Just cook potatoes, cut them to smaller pieces, frie  onions and ham together with the potato pieces

My grandmother was German, and she used to make a variation on this dish with potatoes, onion, and a hot dog cut into small pieces.  It was great.

17 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

My grandmother was German, and she used to make a variation on this dish with potatoes, onion, and a hot dog cut into small pieces.  It was great.

Yes, using hot dog cut into small pieces might be a typical German food combination.

The potatoes with onion and maybe a bit of bacon as my wife and me know it, also can be slightly influenced by the former german-speaking minority in Transsilvania. Only that there is no hot dog pieces in it. 

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

Is this anything like what my mom used to make, called "German Potato Salad"? It was served warm and there was a bit of vinegar in it, but otherwise...

No, 'Bratkartoffeln' are potatoes boiled, sliced and fried in a pan. 'Kartoffelsalat" are potatoes boiled and sliced, served warm or cold with vinegar and oil.

I'm amused to read about "Bratkartoffeln" here! In November 1992 Marion Brown and I visited "Mutter Jütte" (Mother Jütte) in Bremke, an old inn in a village near Göttingen, famous for fried potatoes!

Mutter Jütte 3 (Copy).jpg

Marion wrote in the guest book: ""THANKS FOR THE BEST 'FRIED' POTATOES IN THE WORLD: BREMKE!" Marion Brown Jan 24, 1992 Mutter Jütte"

Best fried potatoes (Copy).jpeg

I visited "Mutter Jütte" for the first time in November 1960. A 'must' for Göttingen students to hike through mud and snow in winter to eat "Bratkartoffeln" with "Grünkohl" (curly kale) and 'Bregenwurst' (German sausage made from brains). Too bad the inn was closed last year...

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Mom used bacon, but hey. America. 

I'd consider bacon within a potato salad a somewhat quirky but entirely valid variation... It may be served as a side dish to (among others) Wiener sausage but that's fairly independent from the decision to add bacon to the salad. (Wiener sausage within the salad would be fairly outrageous though.)

Dad was of German heritage, Mom was of German/Irish/Native American. He was from Illinois, she fron Louisiana. They started married life in Illinois, then moved to Texas He hated rice and loved potatoes, she loved rice and made that adjustment.

Just saying, I learned to take the world "traditional" with a grain or two of salt. But never pepper. Dad thought that pepper was spicy.

I know, right? 

5 hours ago, optatio said:

I'm amused to read about "Bratkartoffeln" here! In November 1992 Marion Brown and I visited "Mutter Jütte" (Mother Jütte) in Bremke, an old inn in a village near Göttingen, famous for fried potatoes!

Mutter Jütte 3 (Copy).jpg

Marion wrote in the guest book: ""THANKS FOR THE BEST 'FRIED' POTATOES IN THE WORLD: BREMKE!" Marion Brown Jan 24, 1992 Mutter Jütte"

Best fried potatoes (Copy).jpeg

I visited "Mutter Jütte" for the first time in November 1960. A 'must' for Göttingen students to hike through mud and snow in winter to eat "Bratkartoffeln" with "Grünkohl" (curly kale) and 'Bregenwurst' (German sausage made from brains). Too bad the inn was closed last year...

That's a great story thanks!

On 2/17/2023 at 3:13 PM, JSngry said:

Is this anything like what my mom used to make, called "German Potato Salad"? It was served warm and there was a bit of vinegar in it, but otherwise...

The potato salad I like most is boiled and sliced potatoes, young onion with the green long leaves that grow out of them, also cut in small pieces, boiled eggs in slices, and then a house made maioneză hand mixed with the yellow from the egg and sunflower oil, then all the stuff mixed and served together with Wiener Schnizel 

crap pane (256 x 192).jpg

7 hours ago, mikeweil said:

No matter if they're fried or cooked and sliced as a salad, the recipe works, although I dislike bacon and leve it off or replace it with small cubes of smoked tofu. Fine cut spicey pickle cucumber work in the salad, too. 

I have eaten some to fu at some chinez restaurant, I think it was from the dinner bufet, nice. But I never heard that it is combined with German or European dishes....

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I have eaten some to fu at some chinez restaurant, I think it was from the dinner bufet, nice. But I never heard that it is combined with German or European dishes....

My personal invention, as l rarely eat meat. But the tofu restaurants use is very different from the stuff you can buy in organic food stores, which is of much higher quality and tastes better.

Edited by mikeweil

23 hours ago, mikeweil said:

My personal invention, as l rarely eat meat. But the tofu restaurants use is very different from the stuff you can buy in organic food stores, which is of much higher quality and tastes better.

Ok, personal invention sounds good. I also don´t cook exactly like my grandma did, but I had to make investigations to learn what an organic shop is. 

I agree with you that too much people eat too much  meat. This  is not necessary and can destroy sharp looking (șnițel-belly or cementry of șnițel)  and especially in summer there can be weeks when I don´t eat meat or  only seldom very little of it (gastgarten mit grill) 
But I couldn´t definite my reduced meat consumption   as "rarely" since let´s say if I cook  gulaș I dont make it only for one day, you can eat it 3 days and it get´s even better, or the famous "sarmale" (kraut-rulade) you make a big pot of it and if you only 2 persons you have 3 days food. That´s "winter dish" , or a self made bean soup, it has to have onions and it has to have some little pieces of smoked pork in it to have that good taste. At least that´s how I grew up. 

But all that stuff , if you eat just one portion and not 2 or 3 until you can´t move anymore, it doesn´t do no harm , you remain in good shape and look handsome. 

Well I don´t know if there is those organic shops over here. I have enough problems with gettin good white bread , many bakers have tons of black bread, and no sendviș and those french baquettes, it gets hard too soon and can not be compared with a good, big, white bread........, especially the good round one. 

We have one bakery called "The Mann" in our quarter (very nice outer district not far from the park and castle Schonbrunn, but if they close for renovation like they did last summer, I have to get in the not so quiet areas near Vestbahnhof, where there are some "balcan bakeries"......

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Getting good bread is really becoming harder every year.

Strange - availability of good and varied bread has rarely been better here. Not cheap though and prices have gone up significantly thanks to that nonentity out East. Plenty of garbage bread out there as well.

On 2/18/2023 at 11:25 AM, optatio said:

'Bregenwurst' (German sausage made from brains).

🤮

I’ll pass !

Edited by sidewinder