Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Live at Jazz Workshop 1970

barnaba.siegel

On 4/28/2023 at 3:00 PM, sidewinder said:

Maybe if there is enough demand, Gearbox might put this out on multiple CDs. They have done archival CD issues in the past e.g. the Buddy Rich ‘Just In Time’.

Interested parties might want to email them.

I did before it came out and they said they have no plans for CD.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Yeah, that’s the one. LP only. The online samples I’ve heard sound really wonderful. Would have made an excellent 2cd set — which I would have gladly paid $25 for (maybe even $28).

Looks like the price has come down a hair from what I remember a couple years ago — but it still has a list price of $60, and The Bastards seem to have it now for $53 brand new.  WHICH, is about double what it would have cost on CD (or fairly close, anyway).

(Hell, I might have even gone $30 or $32 for it on CD, like if it was an import and there was no other way.)

looks like Sam has pressed the Davis set three times, initially a run of 1500 (2018 - when I picked up my copy), a second run of 1000 in 2019 & now a third of 2000 in 2021 which is what DG will be selling. So, a total of 4500 so far - there must be quite a demand for Nathan's output.

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

looks like Sam has pressed the Davis set three times, initially a run of 1500 (2018 - when I picked up my copy), a second run of 1000 in 2019 & now a third of 2000 in 2021 which is what DG will be selling. So, a total of 4500 so far - there must be quite a demand for Nathan's output.

Which means a CD version could sell relatively well.  

2 hours ago, felser said:

Understood, I'm just whining.

I guess I am too — but why make people pay nearly double the price for a format that’s arguably less convenient??  And even if you (they) charge a hefty premium for the CD version, the LP version is still gonna be 1.5x more expensive.

I’ll take that Nathan Davis as an example — 5LP sides (~20 minutes per side) is selling brand new right now for $53 on Dusty Groove ($60 list).  If that were 2cd’s and cost $35, that would make the $53 LP set almost 1.5x as expensive. But the 2 CD’s play for 50+ minutes each, and cost almost $18 less overall.

(At least I’d sure argue LP’s are a lot less convenient than CD’s — they take up more space, and have less than 1/3rd the maximum playing time per ‘side’, and are far more prone to scratches and even initial defects when you first get them.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

46 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I guess I am too — but why make people pay nearly double the price for a format that’s arguably less convenient??  And even if you (they) charge a hefty premium for the CD version, the LP version is still gone 1.5x more expensive.

I’ll take that Nathan Davis as an example — 5LP sides (~20 minutes per side) is selling brand new right now for $53 on Dusty Groove ($60 list).  If that were 2cd’s and cost $35, that would make the $53 LP set almost 1.5x as expensive. But the 2 CD’s play for 50+ minutes each, and cost almost $18 less overall.

(At least I’d sure argue LP’s are a lot less convenient than CD’s — they take up more space, and have less than 1/3rd the maximum playing time per ‘side’, and are far more prone to scratches and even initial defects when you first get them.)

And the physical production costs of CD's are much lower.  I'd jump at a CD set of the Nathan Davis, and likely at one of the Blakey.  And I have to think we're far from alone on this.  But the market seems to have swung to the vinyl fetishists, who will pay the outrageous prices.  Yes, I'm still just whining.

11 minutes ago, felser said:

And the physical production costs of CD's are much lower.  I'd jump at a CD set of the Nathan Davis, and likely at one of the Blakey.  And I have to think we're far from alone on this.  But the market seems to have swung to the vinyl fetishists, who will pay the outrageous prices.  Yes, I'm still just whining.

And when I think of the oddball titles that seem to still be coming out on CD (from the wide range of stuff I see on Dusty Groove, and elsewhere), it just boggles the mind that CD buyers are left totally in the lurch on certain key releases.

There was a live Billy Harper release in the last year that was vinyl only too — can’t remember the details. Was that on this SamsRecords label too? (Wouldn’t surprise me, at this point.)

EDIT:  Yup! Sams again. Cripes!!

https://www.discogs.com/release/17927806-Billy-Harper-Quintet-Antibes-75

Edited by Rooster_Ties

1 minute ago, Rooster_Ties said:

And when I think of the oddball titles that seem to still be coming out on CD (from the wide range of stuff I see on Dusty Groove, and elsewhere), it just boggles the mind that CD buyers are left totally in the lurch on certain key releases.

There was a live Billy Harper release in the last year that was vinyl only too — can’t remember the details. Was that on this SamsRecords label too? (Wouldn’t surprise me, at this point.)

If the Harper is the Live in Brooklyn one I'm thinking of, I sprung for the digital download on Bandcamp.  Only the third time I've ever done that (the other two were the Hannibal Peterson album on MPS through Amazon and the Elvin Jones Town Hall album on PM through their website.).

8 minutes ago, felser said:

If the Harper is the Live in Brooklyn one I'm thinking of, I sprung for the digital download on Bandcamp.  Only the third time I've ever done that (the other two were the Hannibal Peterson album on MPS through Amazon and the Elvin Jones Town Hall album on PM through their website.).

No, it was Billy Harper: Antibes '75 (see link above) — and yeah, it was Sam Records again (vinyl only).

Annoying as hell.  Seems the going rate on that Billy Harper album (new) was ~$35 or maybe closer to $40 new (list) — for 35 minutes of music.

Much as I’d like it, and the Nathan Davis — I draw the line at spending $20 and $30+ per LP for a brand new release — again, on a format I don’t care for ideally.

I do own a couple hundred LP’s, but about 5K+ CD’s — and have payed a premium for plenty of titles on CD (vs. cheaper vinyl copies sometimes, back when vinyl was cheaper). And I’ve upgraded to CD (sometimes expensive imports) from perfectly good vinyl plenty of times, for any title that I think I’ll wanna spin more than once every year or two.

Edited by Rooster_Ties