Helping Mosaic by Suggesting Artists and Sets, Part Deux

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I still think packaging all of those 1957 Newport albums that Norman Granz put out on Verve would make a nice box. I used to babble on about a Hodges 60s Verve box, but then the Andorrans put paid to that by issuing almost all of them as twofers.

What about labels? They've done Savoy, Dial, Bee Hive, and Black and White. Is there enough material on Mercer for a box? Maybe grouped with some other small labels from that era??

There is not enough material to do a Mercer set.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Complete Louis and Keely, Capitol and Dot combined.

Complete Ken Nordine Word Jazz NPR radio shows.

Complete John Dankworth Fontana albums.

As for the first two, Are you out of your mind? Why not thrown in the Treriers or Stan Freberg?

On 3/29/2023 at 7:48 PM, gmonahan said:

...... I still want to see that Lionel Hampton Big Band 40s Decca box, with maybe the MGM stuff tossed in for good measure! And yes, Lon, I suggested it to them. They said they'd think about it.

I promise I would buy a copy!

10 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

As for the first two, Are you out of your mind? Why not thrown in the Treriers or Stan Freberg?

Maybe ask if Mosaic is out of their mind?  They are appealing to a demographic of dying white men who want moldy box sets that look, feel, and smell like 78 albums.

Mosaic doesn't understand that jazz is sexy, or that jazz once was sexy, probably because none of the key players at Mosaic have gotten laid in decades.  If the YouTube videos I've seen of Mosaic guys were shot in their homes, their pedestrian taste in decor and furniture would only reinforce my opinion.

These people are doing nothing to help jazz. They are reinforcing its stature as an old man's genre.

Oh, and did I mention a Babs Gonzales box set?  Add that to my suggestion list!

I asked Michael about a Babs Gonzales set. His reply was classic: "Lon, you are out of your mind!"

Sexy is in the eye of the beholder, even sexy jazz. I really like Prima of the 'thirties, after that . . . no and not sexy. Word Jazz? No and not sexy. 

I think with what you think of as sexy jazz you are just not the target audience for Mosaic, and Mosaic is not for you. Pitch ideas to Bear Family!

39 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I agree those are definitely not Mosaic territory. And I know Bear Family has done the Louis and Keely and I believe the Word Jazz has been collected all under one roof in a box set as well.

Bear did  a Louis and Keely Capitol box, but it did not include the Dot albums.

The Word Jazz Dot LPs have been collected, but not the NPR radio shows.

17 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Mosaic is not for you. 

I agree. Mosaic is for old white men who want box sets that look, feel and smell like moldy 78 albums. 

The thread is called "Helping Mosaic."  I'm trying to help them by suggesting that they produce something that people will actually buy. Maybe with some era-appropriate graphics that have a sense of style and taste. Their target demographic is dying, and some of them may already be dead.

Like shingles, I think Mosaic doesn't care (if you think they are just for old white men). Like you and me. And if you think Capitol AND Dot Prima and Keely and NPR Word Jazz are sexier than what they are putting out. . .well I don't.

Honestly, I don't think Mosaic is EVER going to change their format of black and white with photos they own or can be gifted the use of and the big box and booklet, nor their idea of "jazz focused" releases. It's the kind of help they have been saying no to for a long time. I think that they just want to keep going for a spell before they all retire.

Edited by jazzbo

Just now, jazzbo said:

Like shingles, I think Mosaic doesn't care if you think they are just for old white men. Like you and me. And if you think Dot Prima and Keely and NPR Word Jazz are sexier than what they are putting out. . .well I don't.

Mosaic, like Shingles, won't care, because they will be dead, as will their audience. C'est la vie. 

Mosaic is run by people with no sense of style or taste, as their moldy  graphics and chronological track lists attest.

You can have them.

21 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Mosaic, like Shingles, won't care, because they will be dead, as will their audience. C'est la vie. 

Mosaic is run by people with no sense of style or taste, as their moldy  graphics and chronological track lists attest.

You can have them.

What's wrong with a chronological track list? Would you prefer one tied into tropical cocktails?

25 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Well, that's not my opinion, and I can and do have them. Your taste and mine are very different, and vive la difference. I'll just try to be more polite and end there.

Thanks.  I know you're in my corner.

3 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

What's wrong with a chronological track list? Would you prefer one tied into tropical cocktails?

I prefer artfully arranged track lists, and I don't like it when the original LP sequence is replaced by chronological order of recording. And I REALLY hate it when multiple takes of the same tune are presented together.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

A Treniers set could be awesome, especially if it included the live Milt Trenier record with Von Freeman and Joe Diorio. That sucker swings like ALL the mf. 

To all dissenters, hey - The Four Fucking Freshmen. Beginning and end of story. 

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Respectfully, I don't care about your assessment of Ken Nordine.

Larry played golf with him once.

Now if you think that doesn't matter. ,my dad played golf with Ernie Banks once. 

Now, Larry is neither my dad nor a Cubs fan, but have you played golf with either Ken Nordine or zErnie Banks? Or with Larry? Or with my dad? Holes 1-18, not juth the 19th.

Yeah, didn't think so 

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Now if you think that doesn't matter. ,my dad played golf with Ernie Banks once. 

Now, Larry is neither my dad nor a Cubs fan, but have you played golf with either Ken Nordine or zErnie Banks? Or with Larry? Or with my dad? Holes 1-18, not juth the 19th.

Yeah, didn't think so 

Jim, How did you remember that?

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, didn't think so 

My Dad worked with Duke Ellington and Dave Lambert. And my Mom worked with your hero Perry Como.

Not trying to one-up anyone, jus' sayin'...

9 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I thought Ken Nordine might be TTK's dad.

Ken Nordine is my spirit animal!

12 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Also I knew Ken Nordine. He was one corny MF.

Ken Nordine once said that his things was poking fun at the man in the grey flannel suit, while simultaneously being the man in the grey flannel suit!

1 hour ago, scooter_phx said:

Wow.  Getting a little brutal in here.  Time to go back to your own sandboxes.  Listen to something you love (whatever that is...) and chill for a bit.  Relax.

All in fun.  We are one happy dysfunctional family!