Soft spots

Larry Kart

On 4/20/2023 at 11:46 AM, Dan Gould said:

Can't say I do ... I think I did not get it for a long time, and when I did,, I said thank God for Daddy Plays the Horn because that other recording from the decade is so much more satisfying.

Dan, the idea , as I understand it, is not to pick out your favorite recordings by an Artist, but to select some that you

enjoy, even though it is not generally considered a great album.

So even though there are many records by DEXTER I would rate higher, I nonetheless have a soft spot for  The Resurgence of Dexter Gordon . I would put Dexter Blows Hot and Cool in the same category.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Dan, the idea , as I understand it, is not to pick out your favorite recordings by an Artist, but to select some that you

enjoy, even though it is not generally considered a great album.

So even though there are many records by DEXTER I would rate higher, I nonetheless have a soft spot for  The Resurgence of Dexter Gordon . I would put Dexter Blows Hot and Cool in the same category.

Yes Peter, I agree. I didn't experience Resurgence of the way others did, it just came across as ... non-descript? OK but not memorable. I can imagine anyone alive at the time could definitely have a soft spot for it, as "new" Dex from that young guy who was off the scene. (Not saying that specifically describes you, of course.)

On 4/16/2023 at 4:16 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Given the news, I am reminded of Ahmad Jamal's Live at Oil Can Harry's, an early jazz album of mine.

Speaking of Jamal, I have a soft spot for the albums he recorded between the last by the Crosby-Fournier trio and the Impulse dates.

Brit trumpeter Jimmy Deuchar's "Pub Crawling" (recorded in Britain in '56-'57, released over here on Contemporary) with Tubby Hayes, drummer Phil Seaman, altoist Derek Humble, trombonist Ken Wray, et al. Deuchar is out of Fats Navarro but individual, the tasty originals (all named after Brit beers and ales) have a Dameron flavor. Just a lovely relaxed date. I'm soft on it because I've liked it all these years and nobody else seems to know about it.

6 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Brit trumpeter Jimmy Deuchar's "Pub Crawling" (recorded in Britain in '56-'57, released over here on Contemporary) with Tubby Hayes, drummer Phil Seaman, altoist Derek Humble, trombonist Ken Wray, et al. Deuchar is out of Fats Navarro but individual, the tasty originals (all named after Brit beers and ales) have a Dameron flavor. Just a lovely relaxed date. I'm soft on it because I've liked it all these years and nobody else seems to know about it.

Yes, a lovely album, enhanced by the fact I saw many of those guys play.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:56 AM, Peter Friedman said:

As best I recall, this Dexter album has usually been considered among his weaker recordings by reviewers and many listeners.

Yet though not one of my favorite Dexter albums, it is one I have long enjoyed quite a bit. 

th-4198802804.jpeg

Come to think of it, this album made me realize how much I like Dolo Coker...Dolo was not a piano virtuoso, but he had a unique power.  His Xanadu albums are all good.

15 hours ago, B. Clugston said:

Speaking of Jamal, I have a soft spot for the albums he recorded between the last by the Crosby-Fournier trio and the Impulse dates.

What label would these have been on?  Most of my Jamal albums are on Argo.  I have two early ones on Epic, one on impulse!, and the aforementioned Oil Can Harry's.

5 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

What label would these have been on?  Most of my Jamal albums are on Argo.  I have two early ones on Epic, one on impulse!, and the aforementioned Oil Can Harry's.

Mostly Cadet. First few were on Argo and the last before the Impulse sides was on ABC-Paramount.

4 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks!  I have a couple on Cadet, including the one with voices that I just played. 

Was that Cry Young? If so, while it certainly has many breezy, easy listening moments, that version of "Nature Boy" is incredible. Also a big fan of Heat Wave on Cadet.

7 minutes ago, B. Clugston said:

Was that Cry Young? If so, while it certainly has many breezy, easy listening moments, that version of "Nature Boy" is incredible. Also a big fan of Heat Wave on Cadet.

The Bright, the Blue and the Beautiful.  I have another on Cadet called Heat Wave that is a trio session, post-Crosby and Fournier.

On 4/9/2023 at 2:26 PM, Larry Kart said:

Artists/albums we feel a soft spot for, even though there's nothing major about them:

Mat  Mathews "The Gentle Art of Jazz" (Dawn, 1956.) The very tasty Dutch accordionist with Oscar Pettiford, Kenny Clarke, Art Farmer, Gigi Gryce, et al.  This album and Matthews has never ceased to charm me. There is one major track here though -- the duo between Mat and Oscar's virtuoso plucked earthy  cello on the latter's "Now See How You Are." it's on You Tube under Mat's name.

There's an album by Mat Matthews called "The Gentle Art of Love", and there's his album called "The Modern Art of Jazz"

Which one do you mean?

"The Modern Art of Jazz" -- never heard the other one. "The Modern Art of Jazz" has a great bass-drum team: Oscar Pettiford and and Kenny Clarke. Mat's' own playing is charming and hip, and the tracks with Art Farmer and Gigi Gryce are excellent.

10 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

"The Modern Art of Jazz" -- never heard the other one. "The Modern Art of Jazz" has a great bass-drum team: Oscar Pettiford and and Kenny Clarke. Mat's' own playing is charming and hip, and the tracks with Art Farmer and Gigi Gryce are excellent. Dick Katz on piano.