Lucie Horsch

mjzee

Impressive indeed. Although I had a bit of a difficulty in singling out the recorder throughout among the strings in the ensemble sections. Anyway ... this kind of reworking is a nice idea IMO. And it certainly breathes some fresh air into that instrument.

Don't know about the "unamused" violinists. Isn't it so that this would not be the first case where grimacing bordering on severe bodily pain actually is supposed to indicate intense involvement in the music?

What jcam_44 said made me snicker. I was another one of those pressed into recorder lessons in my primary school days and found it one big boring drag. No idea then (if i had been aware of jazz then) that one could have gotten anywhere anywhere near this on this instrument.

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Don't know about the "unamused" violinists. Isn't it so that this would not be the first case where grimacing bordering on severe bodily pain actually is supposed to indicate intense involvement in the music?

To me she like she is stresses by the recording situation because she wants to be more than perfect. Lucie Horsch sure can play, but I find some phrases would have sounded better if she had kept Bird's exact phrasing.

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I was another one of those pressed into recorder lessons in my primary school days and found it one big boring drag. No idea then (if i had been aware of jazz then) that one could have gotten anywhere anywhere near this on this instrument.

Same here. I had a classmate who played some nice things on a tenor recorder, but I simply didn't have a real affinity for the instrument. But there was a new music scene employing recorders that started around that time adding new repertoire to the recorder book. Right now we have a big bunch of excellent recorder players all over the country.

In Jazz, I remember Jiří Stivín as an impressive soloist, but mostly on sopranino recorder and more for a gimmick.

But he was, of course, trained with baroque music:

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

To me she like she is stresses by the recording situation because she wants to be more than perfect. Lucie Horsch sure can play, but I find some phrases would have sounded better if she had kept Bird's exact phrasing.

I understood jcam_44 to refer to the backing group of string instruments, not that young flutist (you'll admit that "recorder" always sounds decidedly ODD to us non-English native speakers to describe what after all IS part of the "Flöte" ("flute") family :D ). She may be a bit overenthusiastic in her motions and expressions, but I'd cut her any amount of slack, given the situation and her age. And after all, haven't there been more mature musicians who would make onlookers cringe too when they look at the musicians' exaggerated antics in front of the mike? ;)
As for keeping Bird's exact phrasing, admittedly I wouldn't have been able to do a close-up comparison, but she gets the overall character of the tune IMO. And the rest might be filed under "artistic liberties". After all she certainly does not see herself in the field of classical music (at least here) where the notion of "Werktreue" applies for better or (much) worse. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve