MLB 2023: how ya like it now?

28 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Gem?  I don't see a "gem" on defense I see extremely dumb base running.   A slow pitch softball team could pull that triple play off with the right idiots on the basepaths.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will cop to being extremely curious how the trade deadline goes, there being some distinctly disappointing teams with potential chits as well as teams whose chances to reach the playoffs are virtually illusory (thinking Cubs here, with added fact that Stroman can opt out and no compensation to team - he is good as gone even if the Cubs did reach .500, IMO.)

There could be some really surprising major names moving ... and also maybe the usual overpay for general mediocrities.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:30 AM, Ken Dryden said:

Why were the Red Sox wearing yellow?

40 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Why were the Red Sox wearing yellow?

GA, I do not have a clue why they switched (occasionally) to those uniforms but they have been around for a couple of years. I think they are awful and only serve to have a new set of unis to sell to stupid fans, like those "WrigleyLand" uniforms I sometimes see with the Cubs.

They are godawful.

Why are the Red Sox wearing yellow? Explaining Boston's MLB City Connect uniforms for 2023

The Red Sox's City Connect jerseys pay tribute to the Boston Marathon, the city's most recognizable annual event. The famous Patriots' Day road race utilizes yellow and blue as its main colors.

Although I'm not partial to the yellow and blue, the Sox are 19-4 overall when they're wearing them. And you know how superstitious baseball players can be.

That City Connect thing has had some...awkward outcomes.

The Rangers had a new creature and an alien alphabetical character created for them.

I wonder when the Colt .45 jersey will be resurrected for the Astros? Houston used to be known as The Murder Capitol Of America!!!

colts.jpg

That's Bob Aspromonte, right? 

With the Red Sox suddenly the hottest team in the majors at 16-5, I decided to take a gander at next month's schedule which I have not done all season long.  I have to think that where they stand on September 1 will have a great deal to do with how they handle the last 1/2 of August, which goes, 3 @ Yankees, 4 @ Houston, 3 against the Dodgers and 3 against Houston.  All of their other divisional games are in September and will boil down to whether they still matter and how those games go.

They can't clinch the dance in October next month but they can surely cripple themselves.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Are the Dodgers out on Verlander now? 

Not according to Ken Rosenthal, at least as of a few hours ago. They certainly have more to offer in terms of prospects than the Astros, but given that Verlander has the final say over any potential trade destination, I'd have to think he'd be more inclined to return to the Astros than make a move to LA. Assuming the Mets actually decide to pull the trigger on a trade, anyway, which is far from a foregone conclusion.

My hope is the Red Sox just stand pat or add a pitcher like E-Rod who they shouldn't have let go in the first place. But I think he may have an opt out too?  Rentals for a crapshoot in October makes no sense to me. This isn't a roster to go deep in October IMO so if they got a pitcher and spun Paxton for strong prospects I'd be OK with it.

Not unbeatable, but definitely with the mental advantage now, I should think. Veteran team and they just got their ace back. And he's back to form now, too. We got the old guy starting to wear out, which is still an upgrade, but... 

Rangers have yet to show real mental consistency and those sillyass Angels now, you can never tell. So I am not really solid yet on these Rangers. Like 'em, but not loving them. Not yet. 

But, let's play the games, see what happens 

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

But, let's play the games, see what happens 

Exactly.  Long way to go -- for everybody.

I will say . . . Bruce Bochy is a quality Manager.  He knows how to win. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he leads the Rangers deep into the playoffs.