Singularity Codex -- Matthew Shipp on RogueArt

23 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

A note for those in the EU, the book is now available for direct order & shipping from the RogueArt website.

https://roguart.com/product/singularity-codex-matthew-shipp-on-rogueart/222

For those of you in NYC it can be purchased at Mast Books, Karma Bookshop, Village Works, Academy Records (E 12th), Downtown Music Gallery, and Jazz Record Center... more to follow once distributors stock it (which shouldn't be too long).

Thanks!

Just ordered ...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered my copy.

I've not listened to new Shipp releases for a few years but have many in my collection and seen him several times so looking forward to this reigniting my interest.  I'll be invoicing you Clifford for all the CD purchases reading this is bound to generate 😃

MVD is the general US distro. It's listed as forthcoming via Squidco and Dusty Groove, so it should be stateside fairly soon.

50 Miles of Elbow Room (based in Brooklyn) will have a few in their online shop in the next week or so.

Thanks for the interest, folks!

Downtown Music Gallery also has copies and they do ship in the States.

This Week’s Newsletter Begins with a Great Book about Matt Shipp and the Creative Downtown Scene he has long been an integral part of:

SINGULARITY CODEX - Matthew Shipp on RogueArt - By Clifford Allen (Rogue Art; France) This is an excellent, informative and well-researched book. Initially I thought that making a book just about Matt Shipp’s recordings for the Rogue Art label, wouldn’t hold enough interest but there is quite a bit more than that going on here. Clifford Allen is one the better jazz journalists that I’ve really admired over time, due to his sharp, informed reviews and writing about Creative Music. Instead of focusing completely on Matt Shipp, Mr. Allen tells the larger story of the way the Creative Music Scene of the East Village has evolved since the late sixties. I, myself, have been into this scene since discovering and studying jazz at college in 1972. I’ve attended hundreds of concerts since 1968 and went to dozens of loft jazz gigs in the seventies. Mr. Allen does a job of describing the musicians who moved to the Village Scene, the other musicians or bands that they played with and their influence on serious listeners from around the world. Allen centers on Muntu, an early loft jazz ensemble with Jemeel Moondoc, William Parker, Arthur Williams, Mark Hennen & Rashied Bakr and their importance. Allen interviews musicians William Parker, Rob Brown, Whit Dickey, Joe Morris & Matt Shipp, poetess Yuko Otomo (longtime friend & collaborator of Matt’s, widow of the late great poet Steve Dalachinsky), as well as Rogue Art founder Michel Dorbon and studio engineer/producer Jim Clouse. I’ve only read a third of this book so far but I most intrigued. Clifford Allen does a good job articulating what he and Matt’s collaborators find to be unique in Matt’s playing and thinking. Can’t wait to finish. - Bruce Lee Gallanter, DMG
Book $24 [205 pages]

https://www.downtownmusicgallery.com/newsletter_detail.php?newsID=4001

The Wire will be running a review in August. I think Bill Meyer was challenged by the book, which is not a bad thing.

US buyers can preorder from Amazon -- I'm no fan of that company, but however one gets to the book is fine by me. Squidco should have it pretty soon as well, I think.

https://www.amazon.com/Singularity-Codex-Matthew-Shipp-Rogueart/dp/2953150870/ref=sr_1_1?crid=26N5CPNJK9F6L&keywords=singularity+codex&qid=1688669675&sprefix=singularity+codex%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-1

I ordered a couple days ago directly from RogueArt. Much looking forward to reading this. I wish I had ordered sooner so that I would have it in hand when traveling next week. I will be spending a lot of time in airports and on flights. Guess I will just have to read the Threadgill bio.

On a tangentially related note, Shipp played in Cleveland to promote his solo (alas, not on RogueArt) release, Codebreaker.  The performance was later broadcast via the club's podcast and can be downloaded or streamed here from the podcast's site.  

I was there and found myself thinking that Shipp is one of the great living pianists.  Unfortunately, the podcast didn't include the Q&A he did afterward.  He's funny.

Edited by Justin V

On 7/12/2023 at 11:03 PM, Rabshakeh said:

I don't know that any Shipp solo record really captures him live.

Before the world (FMP), Berlin 1995

Creation out of nothing (SoLyd) Moscow 2009

Art of the Improviser (Thirsty ear) CD2: New York 2010

Invisible Touch (hatOLOGY) Zurich 2016

Ao Vivo Jazz Na Fabrica / Invisible Light (SESC / ezz-thetics) Sao Paulo 2016