Thelonious Monk - The Classic Quartet

hbbfam

36 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Tokyo '63 show. Interesting. I've never heard it.

Is it the same as this set?

The new release: This recording is the audio portion of a television show recorded in Tokyo during Monk’s 1963 tour of Japan.  

Meticulously restored and remastered by award-winning engineer Bernie Grundman

The Monk In Tokyo: Recorded live May 21, 1963 at Sankei Hall, Tokyo.

16 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Don't need an LP of this, and I think I have this material on cd already in great sound. I'm not not a fan of Bernie, just not that enamored that I would buy this because he mastered it.

Which CD version do you have?  I have no copy of this in any form.  Just like a nice sounding version.  The new download is enticing.

I have the two cd version put out by Sony of a show on the same date. It may or may not be this material, there is only one "ringer" tune on this not on the Sony.

There was a time when I was a Monk NUT and as testimony I have about 30 unissued collectors' items of Monk through the years. But at my current age and with my current storage and now increased limited time to listen (my wife retired two months ago and that really limits my listening time) I'm probably not buying something I may already have an excellent sounding version of . . . I may give in but currently don't plan to.

Edited by jazzbo

Mine does but without much enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I have the two cd version put out by Sony of a show on the same date. It may or may not be this material, there is only one "ringer" tune on this not on the Sony.

Is yours the Mark Wilder remaster? 

Mine is the Japanese release prior to the Wilder.

44 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Interesting.  I'm trying to imagine how that would play out.  

I've never found a woman that was interested in me that I was interested in that enjoyed any music as much as I do, let alone jazz. The only one that really could hang with me as far as music goes . . . drank like a fish. More than a tiny bit of drinking is a big no no for me. I have seen drink ruin too many lives in my personal and professional lives.

My first late wife was wonderful to be with in every other way, as is my second wife Lucinda. The music is my thing. Which is awful nice in many ways.

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Mine is the Japanese release prior to the Wilder.

I've never found a woman that was interested in me that I was interested in that enjoyed any music as much as I do, let alone jazz. The only one that really could hang with me as far as music goes . . . drank like a fish. More than a tiny bit of drinking is a big no no for me. I have seen drink ruin too many lives in my personal and professional lives.

My first late wife was wonderful to be with in every other way, as is my second wife Lucinda. The music is my thing. Which is awful nice in many ways.

Thanks.  I'm always interested in how people navigate certain life details such as this.  I had been in some long-term relationships with people whom I did not have much in common with, and at a certain point, I decided that I wanted certain things in common, or I would end up single.  My wife and I share probably 90% of our respective interests.  I realize that this is probably an exception.  

51 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks.  I'm always interested in how people navigate certain life details such as this.  I had been in some long-term relationships with people whom I did not have much in common with, and at a certain point, I decided that I wanted certain things in common, or I would end up single.  My wife and I share probably 90% of our respective interests.  I realize that this is probably an exception.  

I would say that all other interests align and aligned in both marriages. And we like to have a home life, and affection--and in both marriages that's the glue that we use and used to bond with, having a comfortable home we like to be in as opposed to running around in the world, and snuggling and being affectionate and spending a lot of time together. And in both marriages we each have and had a few areas that are our own, and allow us some "alone time" respectively. As we are/were all three introverts, we need that time to rejuvenate.

In this second marriage we also have been close to our family, and have been living geographically close and have had responsibilities for care for parents, which has ended. Now we are free of those responsibilities and work responsibilities and can spend more time together. We love nature and we live directly across from a state wildlife preserve--a large forest--in a wooded neighborhood sparsely housed, and with more than half of out neighbors gone half the year--snow birds. We love walking the hills and observing the hawks, woodpeckers, owls and the occasional eagle, as well as deer, turkey, squirrels (even black squirrels), and other animals. We love the sound of the wind and the rustling trees and the rather sparse human activity and sound. 

It's a nice balance that we live within and we know we're lucky that we both have found each other later in life. We knew each in the seventies--she was the girlfriend of a coworker, and we always really liked each other and didn't really know the other did. We didn't see each other for 33 years, the years I lived in Texas--and then when we did meet again, we were inseparable.

I'm used to music--both recorded and playing music myself, and my deep interest in audio and musical equipment--being "my" thing, my little kingdom in my head and heart and home. It works for me, quite well. Now that my wife is home all the time I have less time to be alone with my music, but it's okay, it's healthy to be spending more time with her and our dachshund.

Edited by jazzbo

I am not a fan of buying music that I already own just because of a new remastering, unless the sound is lackluster on the one I own, or there is bonus material of sufficient interest. 

My wife has attended a lot of jazz concerts with me, but I listen alone at home. In the car, she always wants to hear stuff she likes, rather than take a chance on my auditioning new acquisitions. As a result we often drive separately around town, then meet for lunch.

On another board the consensus seems this is NO?t the same material as the Sony/Columbia--this new release is a TV show taping, the Sony a concert recording not televised. Also makes sense this new release is mono as a recording for TV.

Makes sense and makes this release more interesting. 

Edited by jazzbo

Been enjoying this for a couple of days. 
Like the version of Just A Gigolo.

Here at home (and in the car) we listen to
all kinds of music/sound. Never a problem here.
Cleaning house on Wednesday, we can crank up
Iggy Pop’s radio show … or 2-Tone British ska …
or dusty 78s broadcast from the Arctic Circle.
It all works here!

Edited by rostasi

43 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

On another board the consensus seems this is NO?t the same material as the Sony/Columbia--this new release is a TV show taping, the Sony a concert recording not televised. Also makes sense this new release is mono as a recording for TV.

Makes sense and makes this release more interesting. 

Am I misremembering, or might this have seen some kind of release on the grey market 4 Star label? 

You are right, I'd forgotten about the Four Star Monk, but it was the same material

https://www.discogs.com/release/3975644-Thelonious-Monk-1963-In-Japan

And previous to that multiple LP releases

It did appear on Baybridge Records  

https://www.discogs.com/master/489748-Thelonious-Monk-Thelonious-Monk-1963-In-Japan

And here on Musica Jazz

https://www.discogs.com/release/14641012-Thelonious-Monk-Tokyo-1963

And here on EastWind

https://www.discogs.com/release/4823534-Thelonious-Monk-Thelonious-Monk-1963-In-Japan

Possibly more LP releases

And on Laserdisc!

https://www.discogs.com/release/12940860-Thelonious-Monk-63-In-Japan