Why I Think Sinatra's "Wee Small Hours" Album is So Great

Teasing the Korean

When singers are young, they may have youthful, pleasing, pliable voices, but they don't always effectively communicate experience.

When singers can communicate experience, they are often older, and don't always have the most pleasing voices.

Sinatra's In the Wee Small Hours album captures Frank at a perfect point:  He was still relatively young - 39, if my math is correct - but he had some experience under his belt, e.g., losing his Columbia contract and getting dumped by Ava. 

Frank made many, many great albums.  But he never made an album like this one, before or after.  It is a singular album in his discography.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I prefer the Capitol "I'm A Fool To Want You" to the original. Heresy, maybe, but oh well. 

Overall, it's more riveting to me when Sinatra acts out his psychoses in ballads rather than in swing. The ballads have more room to accommodate him, imo. 

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

Sinatra himself considered Only the Lonely to be his best work, and I agree, but I still adore Wee Small Hours, especially the title cut.

Please note I never said Wee Small Hours was his "best."  I said "singular."  That record captured Frank at a particular moment that blended youth and experience.

32 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I prefer the Capitol "I'm A Fool To Want You" to the original. Heresy, maybe, but oh well. 

I agree.  And whenever anyone puts down Gordon Jenkins, I direct them immediately to Where Are Your and No One Cares.

I have a special attachment to it because "This Love of Mine" is on it, and there was a big family story involving it.

My father was a guitarist (he left me a '35 D'Angelico) and songwriter back then, and they had a songwriting contest sponsored by Tommy Dorsey in NY, so he sends my aunt down to the hotel where the Dorsey band was playing to give them his best song, "This Love of Ours".

She goes up to Buddy Rich (who was Dorsey's drummer back then) and gives it to him, and he said he'll give them the music.

The next thing you know, "This Love of Mine" comes out with three names on it, Parker, Sanicola, and Sinatra. MY father went to a lawyer to see if he had a case , but the lawyer said they were too clever about how they changed it. I looked at it many decades after that, and the lawyer was right. They took the rhythm of the melody, and simply moved it up sequentially in pitch, so they were covered legally. Otherwise, the chord progression, most of the words, and the song structure were identical.

As long as the melody is changed, you ain't got a case.

My brother stupidly claimed on a You Tube video of the song that they stole it from our father, and Parker's son got on and started cursing him out saying, "you son of a bleeping bleep, how dare you claim my father stole that song from your father, etc...

I grew up with a strong distrust of the music biz as a result of that, which I believe was well-founded.

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Jenkins had a really narrow lane, but when he stayed in it, it worked.

Did you know his wife was a blues singer? 

Yes, Beverly.  My Dad and Gordon were very good friends.  My Dad was his vocal contractor for sessions. I could tell you a lot of funny stories, and I may tell some here at some point.