Jane Birkin RIP

Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

She was married to your boy, John B., which she described as a really miserable marriage. He must have been as big a jerk as his guitarist, Vic Flick described him as, to blow it with Birkin. RIP.

Yes.  You once previously mis-characterized me as a Barry fan. The only scores I like by him are his Connery-era Bond scores, The Ipcress File, and The Knack.  I find his music overall to be boring.  There must be 50 film/TV composers I prefer over Barry.

Now, if you want to talk about someone worthwhile that Jane Birkin was married to, you should be talking about The Great SERGE GAINSBOURG.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

On 7/17/2023 at 6:15 AM, BFrank said:

Blow Up - one of my favorite films

My favourite Cannes winner: Blow-Up | My favourite Cannes winner | The  Guardian

One of mine, too, although for Antonioni, not for Birkin. She was a teenager back then, and grew into a fascinating person over the years. I once sat in a Paris Café when she strolled by - quite an aura. R.I.P.

Edited by mikeweil

17 hours ago, mikeweil said:

One of mine, too, although for Antonioni, not for Birkin. She was a teenager back then, and grew into a fascinating person over the years. I once sat in a Patis Café when she strolled by - quite an aura. R.I.P.

True. Birkin is memorable, but not in the center of the film.

Amazing you saw her in person - on the street!

About 10 years ago I picked up a copy of “Melody Nelson”, mostly because I was always kind of curious about it.  I found that I really liked it, which led to me going down the Serge G./Jane B. rabbit hole for a while.  The first obits that I read seemed to hardly mention Jane’s music – it seemed all about being a French cultural icon and a “Birkin Bag”.  Not a lot about her music, which I quite liked.  She may have started as Serge’s muse/sex kitten, but her recorded music got more substantial as she aged.  There’s some really good stuff in there – especially from the 90’s on.